cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Increase in Noise Margin

randpwar
Grafter

Increase in Noise Margin

My connection downstream speed has dropped overnight to 4200 (roughly) from the usual 6200 to 6700 and Noise Margin has increased from 1 to 4 db yesterday to 12 db today. Reboot of router brought connection speed back up to 4800.
Any ideas as to why this should happen?  I am waiting to be put on the ADSL2+ trial but haven’t heard that this has commenced
Absolutely nothing within the house has changed
ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 4800 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation 47 db 13.5 db
Noise Margin 12 db 23 db

Any thoughts would be appreciated
23 REPLIES 23
James
Grafter

Re: Increase in Noise Margin

Hi there,
It should be reset when you're moved onto ADSL2+ so I don't think you'll have to wait a massively long period of time for it to be reset.
However, worth checking your line to make sure there's no audible noise present.  It shouldn't happen for no reason!
randpwar
Grafter

Thanks James,
Phone line sounds crystal clear, no different from any other day. I just don’t get it how a rock solid connection speed of over 6mb can drop so suddenly without (apparently) anything changing. I know that bad weather can affect things but it is a pleasant, warm, bright day.
Rob
James
Grafter

Can you PM me your username please?
Your Community login is still linked to your Metronet account Smiley
randpwar
Grafter

PM sent (I hope, not use to using them!)
James
Grafter

That's great, thanks.
As I mentioned, it looks like it was caused by a blip in the early hours.  Hopefully it should return to normal in the not to distant future.
randpwar
Grafter

Sorry James but the 'blip' appears to have been occuring all weekend; please see stats from today below,
ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 4512 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation 47 db 13.5 db
Noise Margin 12 db 23 db
My rock solid connection of about 6.5mb has lost 2mb despite no changes from my end at all. I'm quite concerned as to how this can happen and would appreciate your advice to return my conncetion speed back to previous levels.
Rob
James
Grafter

It's kinda how the product is designed to work.  The noise margin is designed to increase with a period of intermittency, like you had, and is designed to take 28 days to reset.
I've mentioned elsewhere, that we're going to be joining a pilot scheme allowing us to reset the noise margin via the use of a button, but that's not until November.
You can raise a fault asking for the noise margin to be changed, but BT are becoming increasingly unwilling to make such changes.
randpwar
Grafter

Thanks James,
Would you advice then be just to sit back and allow the automation to reset the noise margin at some point within the 28 day period?  I’m due to go on the ADSL+2  trial very soon, how will this noise margin increase be affected?
Thanks
Rob
James
Grafter

I'd expect the change to ADSL2+ to result in a new 10 day training period, so I'd say to sit back and wait until you get moved over.
It's easier that way Smiley
godsell4
Rising Star

Quote from: Jameseh
... a pilot scheme allowing us to reset the noise margin via the use of a button, but that's not until November.

Is this new button for both IPStreamMax and IPStreamConnect connections?
Finally the first admission from BTW that DLM may not be completely cognizant of what it is doing.
SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
James
Grafter

Only on IPStream initially.
I'd suggest it to be offered on WBC/WBMC/IPSC if the trial is successful.
godsell4
Rising Star

If PN are moving over to IPStreamConnect in a matter of a few weeks or months, it seems we will only have this availale for a short time. Sad
--
3Mb FTTC
James
Grafter

Er, where did you get that assumption from?
godsell4
Rising Star

maybe hi-jacking this thread a little now ... Sad
surely PN is moving over to IPSC as soon as possible as it is cheaper, and BTW say they are all ready to go ... and I would not doubt BTW in anything they say at all! Wink
SW.
--
3Mb FTTC