cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IP profile reset problem

paulh
Rising Star

IP profile reset problem

Terrible surfing experience and speedtests this evening 7th May.
mybroadbandspeed showed 467 down / 691 up
No change in sync (been synced for a week or more since last router reset at 7616000)
snr etc normal for my line
but did have several drops today in connection to PN (nb not resyncs)
ended up on pcl-ag03.
will hop tomorrow morning but wondered if there was a known problem tonight?
EDIT: Changed Subject to correctly reflect problem
10 REPLIES 10
paulh
Rising Star

Re: Speed problem 7th May 2010

Ok, sorry to hear that,  but this is a new phenomenon for my line, not an ongoing problem, which is why I'm posting specific information,  so perhaps you need to start a new thread, or could a mod split it out?
Performance poor again this morning (8th May), similar speedtests to yesterday evening, so will try a gateway hop now .
paulh
Rising Star

OK gateway hop made no difference so ran a BT Speedtest and got this, so I'll raise a ticket -- unless (PLEASE) someone from the comms team can tickle this quickly
It makes broadband pretty unusable for me .
Plus I'd like to know why it's happened?
paulh
Rising Star

Ok just reported this to your nice south african call centre, who told me to connect the router to the master socket and leave it for 3 days, and that my profile had dropped because my router has been switched on and off a few times in the last 24 hours.
In fact it's been running continuously (and synced at 7616000) for nearly 10 days now, and I'm pretty sure the connection drops have been exchange initiated.
When I asked why my profile could not be changed manually, I was told this would "damage my line" because my equipment would receive unnecessary frequencies.
hmmm
PS exchange is showing green all the way
scootie
Grafter

When I asked why my profile could not be changed manually, I was told this would "damage my line" because my equipment would receive unnecessary frequencies.

So changing PN's line profile would some how build a sub station close to your line and introduce some nasty unnecessary frequencies.  Roll_eyes
Sounds like you monitor your line OK and know its just the pppo session thats being dropping, so what are your line profiles on bt's and pn's systems? if the cs agent was knowledgeable and correct in what they said, your bt profile should be set very low at like 500kbps
paulh
Rising Star

BT speedtest screen dump attached to initial post shows BT profile as set to 500k, which is what PN also record it (from here
I'll follow the testing protocols as CSC request  to make sure, but after 5 years of almost absolute stability on this line, and with no changes to equipment within the property at all, I'm inclined to think it's in the copper or at the exchange; Unless of course I have a microfilter going bad or my router is giving up, but the latter is a DrayTek 2800VG and they tend to just go on and on (which is why I bought it)
scootie
Grafter

sorry did'nt see the attachment as i was reading your posts on the reply screen.
paulh
Rising Star

Re: IP profile reset problem

Smiley
paulh
Rising Star

No more line drops and stable rate back to 6500
speedtests etc still very slow -- do I need to restart ppoa or do i have to reboot the router?
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

It's back to 6500 on our side as well, if you're not seeing those kind of speeds a reboot might well be worth it - let us know if there's no difference and I'll have a check to see what could be up.
paulh
Rising Star

thanks Matt : a reboot has brought me back to "normal" speeds