Did you mean: 

Help Please - New to Plusnet

chillypenguin
Grafter

Re: Still got problems!

You are not connected via PlusNet!
"Cable and Wireless Telecommunication Services GmbH"
Try setting the SMTP server in your mail client to "smtp.orangehome.co.uk"
And if you are sat at home, using a wireless link. Please use your own, not your next door neighbours.  Grin
Chilly
mypyrex
Grafter

But I was with Plusnet last night! Huh What's happening?
mypyrex
Grafter

Why do I have to set it to smtp.orangehome.co.uk?
MikeWhitehead
Grafter

Have you any neighbours around you that are with Orange? If you are connecting via wireless, you may be connecting to your neighbours network.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

You only signed up with PlusNet last night - as stated in your first post.
Although you signed up to PlusNet your internet access is still through Orange and it will stay that way until the transfer from Orange to PlusNet physically takes place.
If you were on broadband with Orange you will need to wait for the migration to happen (about 5 days probably).
Once the migration has happened you will be unable to connect to the internet via your Orange connection and you will need to change your router/modem to PlusNet.
Alternatively if you were on dial up with Orange you will need to wait for the broadband to be activated.
Note - you cannot send emails via the PlusNet servers until your broadband is supplied by PlusNet.
chillypenguin
Grafter

Quote from: mypyrex
Why do I have to set it to smtp.orangehome.co.uk?

Because you are still connected via Orange.
Thanks Jim, well spotted.
Chilly
chillypenguin
Grafter

Moderators Note
I have merged three thread by mypyrex into a single thread as they all cover the same issue.
And had caused confusion and repeated effort.
Jonathan
aka Chilly
cp:green edited three threads merged mod:end
paulby
Grafter

Re: Help Please - New to Plusnet

As stated by others you'll need to continue to use smtp.orangehome.co.uk as your outgoing server until you are migrated tpPlusNet, when you'll need to change it to relay.plus.net.
In general you can receive mail from any POP3/IMAP account when connected to any ISP but you can only use the outgoing server of the ISP you connect to.
mypyrex
Grafter

Thank you, I think I understand now. I assume I am only with smtp.orangehome.co.uk for outgoing emails until the changeover is complete.
PS
I'm not on wireless.
Sorry if I'm being a bit thick Embarrassed
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

No problem - we all have to learn sometime.
The thing to note is that at some point you should receive an email from PlusNet saying that your connection is activated. Alternatively if something goes adrift you won't get an email and your internet connection will stop.
In either case you will need to go into your router or modem and change the login details to the PlusNet ones. (It might be a good idea to print them out in advance, just in case). After doing that you should be back on line. If you aren't I suggest you ring the help desk - make a note of the number in advance - and they will sort you out very quickly.
Note that once you are on PlusNet you will have to change the outgoing server in all your email accounts (including the Orange ones) to relay.plus.net