Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Have I got it right about ‘Extra’?

Jessica
Grafter

I’ve been looking at the new product ‘Extra’.  At the moment I’m on BBYW3.  I’ve been reading as much as I can about it, but it doesn’t seem right to me.
Now I’m paying £19.99 per month for 30Gb and ‘Extra’ is £17.99 for 60Gb. Is that right?  If so, where’s the catch?  I don’t see anything about long contracts or tie-ins.  Overnight usage is still ‘free’.  Am I missing something?
27 REPLIES 27
torbayguy
Grafter

Re: Have I got it right about ‘Extra’?

I dont get it either.
Im on premium, 11.99 and 80Gb limit, extra is essentially premium, 50p cheaper but 20Gb less allowance, which would cost an extra £20 if you use that extra 20Gb a month?
Jessica
Grafter

I've just looked at the ‘traffic shaping’ with regards to ‘Extra’.  For me, it’s exactly the same, if not slightly better speeds. 
I still can’t see the catch.  I think I’ll change product.  I’ll be paying less and getting more.
Any one else like to comment?
paulpicks21
Grafter

I can only assume alot of the old packages are no longer good value.
Infact I was saying on here the other day , an old couple I know were on a package called "pay as you go broadband" whatever that is , was costing them 15 quid a month with a 4gb monthly allowance.
I just switched them to the value pack so their bills are now cheaper and they have well over double the allowance.
torbayguy
Grafter

There are still alot of people that dont know the first thing about broadband.
I was trying to teach my mother and father the other week, my mum couldnt understand how videos come down the phoneline and was worried the phone would break, and my dad was worried all his money would get pinched!
So when faced with all of these different companies and tariffs, its a nightmare!
newthing
Grafter

I just phoned and changed, its easy,
Toby
Cheesy
Jessica
Grafter

Beware!
I was just about to change product when I noticed that the max. expected speed for my line will drop to 5Mb (from 8Mb).  Something to do with ADSL2+ not active at my exchange.
That’s the catch, I knew there was one, somewhere.

I’m a bit puzzled to why my speed will drop to 5Mb.  My exchange has never has ADSL2+ but at the moment I’m getting 8Mb.  I don’t see what difference it makes.
Can someone from Plusnet explain it to me?
newthing
Grafter

Hi Jessica
I can't see how?
where did it say?
don't know of anything to slow down ADSL2+ speeds from adsl
also from elsewhere your line stats should be good enough
check your exchange isn't yet enabled adls2+ yet?
check again?
good luck
T
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Changing products while remaining on maxDSL (ADSL1) will have no effect on your connection speed - that is negotiated between you and the exchange before Plusnet get involved at all. The number you've been given is probably just the speed estimation system being cautious.
As far as the product change is concerned certain non-interactive protocols (P2P, Usenet and FTP) are more restricted at peak times on Extra than on BBYW3, but overall I would imagine it would be a good move for you.
The UserGroup Comparison Tool http://usergroup.plus.net/newprodcomp.php provides a pictorial comparison of expected speeds and traffic-shaping for different products.
David
Jessica
Grafter

I’ve just checked again.
Go to ‘Account Details’ and then ‘Account Summary’ click on ‘Upgrade’, then ‘Change My Product’
Then I saw this:-
http://i775.photobucket.com/albums/yy31/Screendump/What-1.jpg

I don’t understand why it’s slower.  My line has always been 8Mb with an IP profile of 6500 and a sync of 7616 with interleaving ON.

I don't use, and never have used VPN, P2P or Usernet.  So, for me it could have been a better service.  Pitty.
newthing
Grafter

ask if your exchange is still not asdl2+
http://www.samknows.com/broadband/search.php
that would make a huge difference
or
http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges/?exchange=Portobello&exact=787

that must be a deliberate underestimate
whats the why its slower say?
edit> I read why but I don't see why 5 not 8 ? ah weel
Toby
spraxyt
Resting Legend

In my case the estimated speed shows as my current IP Profile (6500) though the estimate in the member centre is 6000.
If I were you I would ignore what you are being told and click the upgrade button (assuming you want to change products). I'm confident the speed won't change.
David
Jessica
Grafter

Oddly enough, my exchange HIRWAUN doesn’t even mention ASDL2+.  Unless I’m reading it wrong.  Have a look.
Dear spraxyt, put that in writing and I might take a chance.

newthing
Grafter

yep, so it goes,
I forget the rest of the world not yet
an end to end metropolitan megacity
right about the speed won't change though,
the new products look really good by comparison
save you 3 pounds, not in market 3. whatever whathave-you-thinggy
what a lovely place... ahhh
beautiful
Toby
spraxyt
Resting Legend

Quote from: Jessica
Dear spraxyt, put that in writing and I might take a chance.

Well you've got my opinion in writing in my previous post. However since I'm only a customer like yourself it's just an opinion.
Why not ask if a staff member will allow you to try Extra for a month to see if there are any adverse changes, with the promise to change you back to BBYW3 if you find the new product is unsuitable?
David