cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Feedback on FTTC

coachdriver
Grafter

General Feedback on FTTC

Now that the FTTC Beta has moved from the trial to the full product how are people finding it ?
My experience is nowhere near as good as I expected.  Sad
I have an open ticket at the moment where I have reported my speed issues which have improved marginally but last night was very poor.
At 05:30 this morning I was able to download an Apple OS update at about 4.2MB/s. Fantastic.  Smiley
However, at 9pm last night I tried to watch iPlayer on the HD setting from a PVR with an ethernet connection to the router. I couldn't watch it. Every 3-4 seconds the spinning wheel graphic would appear whilst it was buffering. I then downloaded it to a PC which took nearly an hour for 1.2GB.  Cry
When renting a movie on my AppleTV the other week it said it would be ready to watch in 90 minutes, previously on plusnet ADSL and O2 I would be able to start watching in seconds.
Running speedtest in the evening they are always around 20mb/s.
I am now assuming this is all down to the traffic management.
So, I'm paying extra for FTTC but in many ways getting a worse service. What's the point getting line speed in the early hours of the morning and limited at the times you want to use it. Don't think I'll be awake at 05:30 trying to buy Olympic tickets in the future...
The marketing on the plusnet website states the benefits of streaming movies, music and downloads. I'm just not seeing it. Downloaded a video podcast this afternoon and again it was slower than I've experienced on ADSL.
I know there could be issues at the hosting site, but I'm seeing it regularly on a variety of sites for it to be a one off problem.
So how are other people finding the "benefits" of FTTC ? Is it what you expected ?
Tim

2 REPLIES 2
mikeyriot
Grafter

Re: General Feedback on FTTC

FYI I was part of the trial (still on regular extra) and I use the pro add-on which works out great, however I have noticed that my connection can vary between 23Mb and 37Mb, which I dont really mind as its still fast enough for any service, I just put it down to congestion.
I've been advising this to most people (here I go again) if you can afford the extra fiver a month, its definately worth it, although I'd check with PN or more people here as to wether it definately is a rate limiting issue.
As for me the whole FTTC experience has been a god-send, pre Plusnet we could get no more than 2Mb/s, I switched to Plusnet last year and instantly saw 6Mb/s (much to my own joy and bemusement) about a month later I joined the trial and have been sync'd at 38717kb/s ever since, added the pro add-on when it became available and now I feel like an internet god.
My only gripes are: A, I have to watch my usage now and B, you cant look up the connection stats, which for my friend (who just stupidly signed up for infinty and only seeing 16Mb/s) is a major pain in the nether regions.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: General Feedback on FTTC

alanscoachdriver,
If you can hold tight until Monday I'll take a look at your account then and see if there is anything I can suggest to get some improvement....
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team