cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTC Speed/Computer Problem

Natchez
Dabbler

FTTC Speed/Computer Problem

Having spoken with Technical Support who more or less confirmed my suspicions, that this is a Computer problem. I thought I would post this in case anyone has had a similar problem or can help in anyway.
I had FTTC installed early Jan and have been getting an average speed on my Desktop of 25MB/s (ethernet connection) and 17 MB/s on my Laptop (I have not yet put in a N Adapter} so that speed was acceptable.
Yesterday my DT speed dropped to between 17-19MB/s. LT is still 17MB/s wireless, i have connected my LT to the router and am acheiving speeds of 35MB/s, I have changed ethernet cables around on both machines to no avail, I upgraded the memory on DT last week and checked my speed afterwards and it was 25MB/s so I am ruling that out. That is the only physical change that has been made.
DT is a Dell Dimension around 5yrs old running XP Media Centre SP3. LT Dell Inspiron around same age XP Pro SP3. Both are up to date with drivers etc.
My question is why has the speed on my DT dropped so much yet my wired LT is acheiving twice the speed.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance
Natchez
3 REPLIES 3
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: FTTC Speed/Computer Problem

Just to rule out any software issues, you might be able to get hold of a Linux boot disk, boot from this and try running a speedtest from it.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Try a speed test when the firewall/antivirus is disabled
Natchez
Dabbler

Hi,
Thanks for your replies, not certain about being able to get  a Linux disc, and I'm afraid I got the same results with AV and Firewall disabled.
I have Googled this but still can't find a solution, apart from trying TCPOptimizer which I have not come across before, but a bit concerned about making registry changes.
Thanks again for your assistance.