Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Download speed up during 'open questions', down again when closed

mickthefitter
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Download speed up during 'open questions', down again when closed

I haven't checked for ages. I'm on channel 3. The most powerful signal from my neighbour's is Virgin Media on channel 11. There's a VM on channel 1, three BT home hubs all broadcasting on channel 6(!!) and something new to me (yet again) a Virgin Media which, unlike the other signals that come up on my 'Available Wireless Networks' has a lower case letter 'a' in a kind of orange circle, instead of a lower case letter 'g' in a green circle, and this is broadcasting on channel 36! I thought there were only 12 or 13 channels. The VM number ends in -5G instead of -2G, so I'm guessing its some new faster broadband network.
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

It's 5GHz wireless as opposed to 2.4GHz.
mickthefitter
Rising Star

Okay thanks  Smiley
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 162

Mick,
Kernal warm restarts rings an alarm bell or two - what version of firmware is the router on please?
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

mickthefitter
Rising Star

Hello Kevin.
If you mean the software release, 8.4.4.J
Mick.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Kevin, it's not a reoccurring problem for Mick. I fear you are jumping on a bandwagon that doesn't exist here.
However that said, it is a Texas chipset at the exchange, the later firmware is purported to have better noise immunity and if Mick would like the firmware upgraded, I'm sure we could ask Plusnet to push it to him.
mickthefitter
Rising Star

Hi. I'm playing catch-up as per normal  Cheesy  I was under the impression that things like my Technicolor router would be updated automatically if later software became available, although looking up the definition of 'firmware' since it is again a term I've heard without fully understanding it, I see it refers to permanent software programmed into a read only memory. Which suggests the router is 'as-it-is'.
Mick. 
Anonymous
Not applicable

In some cases that is true but the majority of hardware now supports the ability to upgrade the firmware using the hardware's User Interface or even a standalone program.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 162

@AO,
Am not jumping on any "band wagon".  Kernel warm restarts (however infrequent) are indicative of a software crash due to not handling some exception event.  We both know this can be associated (all too prevalent) with the earlier firmware.  That fact simply reminded me to enquire of the firmware level, something not thus far established. As you state and we've both experienced 10.2.2.B has been seen to be very much more stable in no end of situations.  Indeed I'm now on 300 days of a continuous xdsl session since I did the upgrade last June.  Ensuring that all is in the best possible state that it can be, is a sound approach to eliminating verified and potential sources of failure.
@Mick,
Firmware can be near permenant or readily upgraded (as advised by Mook) depending on if the product manufacturer makes upgrades and tools available.  PlusNET can (on request) force a firmware upgrade of your router (down the wires) or you can do it yourself.  Being out and about at the moment I do not have access to that link.
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Anotherone
Champion

@Kevin
Quote from: Townman
Kernel warm restarts (however infrequent) are indicative of a software crash due to not handling some exception event.  We both know this can be associated (all too prevalent) with the earlier firmware.

Sorry Kevin, that is a conclusion that you CANNOT draw. For example, a Kernel Warm Restart occurs when there is a Reboot. Other causes we do not know. You cannot conclude it was indicative of a software crash or due to not handling some exception event. In Mick's case this occurred once, 2 weeks ago.
There might be a multitude of things that might cause a reboot for example. Only a full analysis of the firmware would lead one to possibly draw some conclusions about Kernel Warm Restarts.
If you want an example of what happens with a software crash, it won't necessarily cause a Kernel Warm Restart - last week, my TG582n (albeit the USB version with 10.2.5.2 firmware) had a software crash which did not result in a Kernel Warm Restart. The crash was cause by BT maintenance with a rather ungraceful disconnect of my PPP session. The Router would not respond to attempts to reconnect a PPP session and the only solution was to force a (graceful) Reboot.
@Mick
Despite our different opinions on the possible causes, we'd both agree that upgrading the firmware should not be a bad thing. It has generally resulted in better performance albeit not always visible to an end user. Should you wish to proceed with that, post back before Monday and I'm sure Plusnet would arrange for that to be done for you remotely (it's too late today, the team that do it work office hours). I wouldn't suggest you do it yourself.
mickthefitter
Rising Star

Sorry chaps. It appears I didn't get email notification of additional postings on this thread, so I thought all had gone quiet. Hardly, it seems!  Smiley
I haven't really been keeping tabs lately on the event logs. Looking just now it seems that the last time my router went 'linestate down' was just under a couple of weeks ago.
Mick.
Anotherone
Champion

Hi Mick, I'd still go for the Firmware upgrade if you want to do it just say so - I assume your TG582n doesn't have the USB socket on it?
mickthefitter
Rising Star

Nope, I'm afraid not. Just checked my speeds again with the easily accessed pretty looking commercial variants. Download good, upload struggling a bit but maybe its the time of night. not that I do a lot of uploading, just the odd stash of photos to friends and the like.
So if I want to upgrade my router, how do I go about it?
I'm turning in shortly. I'll leave my PC on for about another 20 mins, check back then I'm done for the night!  Smiley
Anotherone
Champion

Just say you want it and one of the CRT members will arrange with the Products group for it to be pushed to you. The modem/router just has to be left on for them to do it (office hours). You'll lose sync at the point the upgrade takes effect and you'll then have to re-do any customised settings you've made (if any) such as fixed IP addresses, restricted wireless access and such like.
mickthefitter
Rising Star

The only thing I've ever changed was the wireless channel for better reception in the home - choosing fixed IPs, why bother? I couldn't see a reason for it. There was a wireless security alert of some sort unless you did something with the WPA2 set up - that was meant to be better than the WEP on my previous router. From what I recall the router could be hacked using the WPS facility but I didn't fully comprehend what I was supposed to do, and used to turn off the router anyway (and now turn off the wireless independently so it is undetectable for much of the day) so I figured that in the unlikely event that any of my mostly family-orientated neighbours were of a mind to hack into my internet, they'd get pretty bored if my network kept vanishing!  Smiley
So yes, let's go for for the firmware upgrade, why not?
"Make it so"  Roll_eyes