cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Did PCL-AG03 go down @1630 Sat 14 Nov

paulh
Rising Star

Re: Did PCL-AG03 go down @1630 Sat 14 Nov

mmm i toyed for a while with whether to start a new thread but it looked so similar I assumed (always a dangerous thing) it was an old problem re-emerging
ho hum
pierre_pierre
Grafter

I had been out all day did my first speed check at 19;00 and it was OK, didnt know I had been dumped off PCL AG03 until today
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

I guess from the recent Service Status, Bob has been rushing round all day trying to get the gateway problem resolved.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re:Did PCL-AG03 go down @1630 Sat 14 Nov

Hi all,
Sorry about dropping the ball on this one - we don't always do comms for pipe drops, though it would have been a good idea to do so for this one given the data transfer issues people were having and the stuff we posted about Sunday night (the busyness what with Dr Who and Top Gear, and the plan B operation etc).
We had a few more issues with this gateway yesterday (details at http://www.plus.net/supportpages.html?a=2&support_action=archive - it's the posts titled Data Transfer and Web Browsing problems that are the relevant ones) and as of now it looks like AG02 isn't accepting new sessions at the moment. People already connected should be fine, and we're looking into those issues. (Problem ref. is 59309 for those interested).
Anotherone
Champion

Thanks for the update Matt.
However, Service Status should be posted if a pipe goes down, that's a significant % of the network.
CSC said they weren't told about it until Sunday morning, when it went on Saturday afternoon - so what happened there. It does suggest that the active network monitoring that was promised is not happening?
Anotherone
Champion

Well nearly a week gone now. I know you guys are busy, but it doesn't take a moment for someone to reassure us that the Network is being monitored correctly, and that CSC would be made aware immediately there was a significant failure, which they didn't appear to have been this time and someone from Comms is advised so that a Service status will be posted.
I think it is a bit major when a pipe goes down, but in any event, this was the whole gateway as we were given to understand.
I look forward to the reassurances.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

I've been following this thread with interest and it really asks some pretty big questions.
We've gone through a pretty sticky path recently and it appears we are starting to come through it (but we'll all only believe that when we've had a week or so of normal speeds). Events where it is pretty blatantly obvious that either the network is not being monitored or whoever was doing the monitoring totally failed to appreciate the implications is not going to make us feel happy that Plusnet actually know what they are doing.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Quote from: Anotherone
Well nearly a week gone now. I know you guys are busy, but it doesn't take a moment for someone to reassure us that the Network is being monitored correctly, and that CSC would be made aware immediately there was a significant failure, which they didn't appear to have been this time and someone from Comms is advised so that a Service status will be posted.

Our monitoring didn't fail and the drop was visible on our LTS session graphing (which the CSC monitor). A critical alert is flagged in our monitoring systems too, and whilst I'm not sure whether or not this happened I've no reason to believe it didn't.
IIRC, the drop the other Saturday *was* noticed by CSC and *was* called out. At the time the gateway was taking sessions again so our engineers took no action. The problem really was the length of time it then took to identify that customers on this gateway were experiencing data transfer issues. This wasn't raised by the support centre until Sunday and it isn't something our monitoring will have detected. As soon as we did become aware, the CSC got in touch with the Comms Team and a Service Status was posted. Our engineers kicked everybody off the gateway again and then connected to it make sure data transfer was now possible which it was.
Unfortunately, there were still intermittent transfer issues for customers on this gateway - a problem that didn't get raised until Monday morning when I arrived at the office. The CSC did contact a network engineer on Sunday evening about this but perhaps weren't as insistent that there were problems as they could have been.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Anotherone
Champion

Thanks for the comprehensive explanation Bob, it is very much appreciated.