cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DSL Broadband stuck on slow speed: 3244kbps

Slither3249
Dabbler

DSL Broadband stuck on slow speed: 3244kbps

So the front panel of the master socket conked out completely, and ever since, we've been stuck on this slow speed.

2023y12m12d 17h03m - Modem stats on long line.png

I'm guessing a "DLM Reset" is needed.

Currently, I'm connected via a spare ADSL filter to the master socket. Not looking for an engineer visit. Not yet anyway.

59 REPLIES 59
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 260

Re: DSL Broadband stuck on slow speed: 3244kbps

@Slither3249 You most decidedly have a line fault - with a downstream SNR that high, I would call it a major one.

First thing to check: Is your phoneline clear? Dial 17070 (preferably from a corded phone), select option 2. Once your phone number is confirmed, there should be silence on the line except for the regular 'Quiet Line Test' message - any other noise, report a PHONE problem via: https://www.plus.net/help/report-a-problem/phone/

If the phone test passes, report a broadband problem via: https://www.plus.net/help/report-a-problem/broadband/

Let us know the result - if the tests come back as clear but you still have a problem, we need to investigate further.

The above assumes you still have 'normal' landline connection - if you have a SOGEA (internet only) one, just use the second link to report a network issue.

John
Slither3249
Dabbler

The phone is quite clear. A bit of light fuzzy noise in the background. When it was connected to the front panel, before it died, the noise was impressively deafening.

It was almost certainly the front panel causing the problem. Although, I'm not quite sure of that. There may be another fault. But before front panel died, I routinely turned the modem off at night and got at least reasonable speed when turning it on the next day.

jab1
Legend

If you still have noise - any noise via the test socket, use the first link and report a phone fault.

FYI - constantly turning the Hub off is not recommended, it can be part of the problem as eventually, the DLM may interpret it as a fault.

John
Slither3249
Dabbler

I'll keep the modem on for a few days and see what happens. Maybe this "DLM" is more sensitive after a fault happens. But I've never seen a speed change unless a disconnect happens.

jab1
Legend

Up to you, but as I said - you have a fault - nothing will improve until that is sorted.

John
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Slither3249  if you -

TEXT HELP to 0780000812

the automated bot will do it's thing and may reset your line (and DLM) as part of it's test sequence.

However, if you let it run to completion and it finds nothing, then the last option is for an 'agent' to call you, when you explain that your line is stuck and it needs a DLM reset, they usually fix that immediately. Job done !.

Just be aware that the agent callback won't happen after they close a 7:30pm

jab1
Legend

@Anonymous If you read this topic, the OP has a physical fault on their network connection (noise on the line) - until that is cleared, no amount of DLM resetting/testing will achieve anything.

John
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Slither3249 wrote:

I'll keep the modem on for a few days and see what happens.

For what it's worth ...

I've NEVER had a banded or stuck DLM, resolve itself by waiting weeks and months (either ADSL or FTTC).

My line used to get stuck about three time every year, and would ALWAYS require Plusnet to trigger a DLM Reset

jab1
Legend

I'm not expecting the OP to wait - I am merely pointing out that the only way to resolve their issue, is to report a fault and get  Openreach to clear the fault on their network.

John
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Slither3249 wrote:

2023y12m12d 17h03m - Modem stats on long line.png

Currently, I'm connected via a spare ADSL filter to the master socket.

The fact that the download "Maximum data rate" is 46965Mbps with the 'spare' filter, would suggest that currently there isn't much wrong with the line, other than DLM has banded it and is now stuck.

jab1
Legend

Except that ridiculously high D/S SNR - and the fact that a phone test (in the test socket) is giving rise to noise - it should be TOTALLY silent.

John
Slither3249
Dabbler

Ah yes, an automated reset would be nice. But they found a fault and want to send an engineer, for something that I think can be fixed by PlusNet/OpenReach flipping a switch on their end. I guess an engineer visit will be happening.

jab1
Legend

@Slither3249 Sorry - noise on a line cannot be fixed by 'flipping a switch' - believe me.

John
Slither3249
Dabbler

Oh, I've heard much more noise with better speed. This is not bad noise. Even with this tiny amount of noise on the phone, I should be getting a much better speed than 3.2Mbps.

When the front panel was dying, the noise I got out of that phone was deafening. Frequent disconnects every minute or so. This was probably enough for the DSL infrastructure heuristics to completely give up, even after removing the front panel.

Or maybe there is another fault. Who knows. I have suspicions of a long-term fault. Maybe a "rectified loop" that cuts out the phone ring. And I have had random disconnects with good SNR, which leads to lower speeds because of those DSL heuristics. That's been going on for months and months. But I haven't had many random DSL disconnects recently, until the front panel gave up. I had a long streak of a full month of no disconnects.