Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DNS Errors

Jonathan1988
Dabbler

DNS Errors

Hello,
I had my Plusnet Broadband activated today and its working perfectly on laptop with no connection problems.  However on both desktops it will either connect for a few minutes (Although no websites load) then will cut off again and just give limited connectivity or the network will disappear completely.  After doing Troubleshooting there is apparently no IP Addresses.
After doing a connectivity check on Thomson Gateway I get these messages:
Connectivity to Gateway (195.166.130.94) (Tick)
Connectivity to DNS Server 1 (212.159.6.9)  X
Connectivity to DNS Server 2 (212.159.6.10) X
Could this have anything to do with no connectivity on other systems?
Thank you
17 REPLIES 17
Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

Re: DNS Errors

Jonathan1988
Dabbler

Any chance you can tell me how I do this?  Sorry I'm a bit of a dunce when its beyond the basics (Although I'm sure this is fairly basic as well)  Embarrassed
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

The red DNS connectivity crosses shown by the Thomson router test reflect a reporting bug and are nothing to worry about. Since your laptop works almost certainly the router is working OK and the desktop connectivity problems are caused by something different.
Usually problems reported are the other way round desktop works but laptop doesn't. Huh
How do you connect your computers to the router - wireless or wired Ethernet cable? Often wired connections work fine but wireless is troublesome. Do any of the computers using a wireless connection use wireless 'n'?
David
David
Jonathan1988
Dabbler

Both are wireless and connected with a Netgear W111V2 and V3 adapters and both are "G" I believe. 
Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

Quote from: Jonathan1988
Any chance you can tell me how I do this?  Sorry I'm a bit of a dunce when its beyond the basics (Although I'm sure this is fairly basic as well)  Embarrassed

Key in
http://192.168.0.1
or
http://www.routerlogin.net/
and then user name/password
if not set default on Netgear is
admin/password
Click on Basic Settings
Jonathan1988
Dabbler

Sorry I should have mentioned I was using the Thomson router.  I can login to the router but cant find any where to change DNS if it even makes a difference now.
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

The problem with the desktops sounds like poor wireless signal. You can put the netgear usb wireless adapters on the end of a usb extension cable if they aren't already, and try them in different positions.
Jonathan1988
Dabbler

Just had a thought could it have anything to do with fact that old router is G and all adapters are G but the new Thomson router is N?  Tried setting up the old router again but can't find the Plusnet network.
spraxyt
Resting Legend

I think those USB network adapters are quite old and I believe they only support WEP wireless encryption. By default the Thomson TG585v8 uses WPA+WPA2 encryption, have you changed that setting?
Is your laptop also connected wirelessly to the router? If it is are you able to connect to the router using a cable? Changing wireless settings is easier if you are not using them live.
Which version of Windows do you have on your desktop computers, and are they 32 or 64 bit? Ditto for the laptop.
David
David
Jonathan1988
Dabbler

Yep the adapters are quite old had the version 2 about 5 years now I think but both work with WPA. 
Laptop works through wireless but can also connect through Ethernet which isn't possible with desktops due to distance. 
Laptop - Vista X32
Desktop 1 - XP X32
Desktop 2 - Win7 X64
spraxyt
Resting Legend

Since only wireless 'g' is being used you could try changing the router WLAN setting to just 802.11g. I would also be inclined to try shortening the Wireless Network Name to Plusnet and the characters (i.e. remove the string 'wireless'. Using a shorter SSID string has sometimes helped.
These settings can be changed by logging into the router, going to Home Network then clicking WLAN (centre) and Configure (top right). Click Apply to save any changes.
If those changes don't fix the problem I would also be inclined to try WEP encryption though that shouldn't make any difference if the desktops have WPA drivers installed.
David
David
ejs
Aspiring Hero

Have you tried the laptop in the same place as the desktops to see if it can get a wireless signal there?
Also, you can compare how many neighbouring wireless networks the laptop can see vs. how many the desktops can detect. I'm guessing the laptop will be able to see a few (assuming some of your neighbours have wifi) but the desktops don't have as good wireless and won't see as many.
Jonathan1988
Dabbler

Success hopefully! Changing to G didn't seem to help.  Then I changed encryption type from WPA+WPA2 to just WPA.  Then it decided to work could this have anything to do with it with the old adapters not being able to support WPA2? Only had about 5 to check it before I have to leave for work so hopefully it will be fine tonight.
The above is also true the laptop downstairs can pick up a few houses away signal and all BT Openzone networks however desktop upstairs can only pick up talktalk next door.
ejs
Aspiring Hero

I've got a computer with a netgear wg111 v2. It does support WPA2. You might need to download the latest driver rather than use the one on the CD. Also my router is set to WPA2 only.