cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Brother turned modem off ><

leegit

Brother turned modem off ><

Hi Guys,
I have just had the plusnet fibre fitted last thursday.  Initially running at 20mb but line says supports up to 25mb.  After a day this increased to 23meg and has been there without any glitches whatsoever until my brother turned the modem off this morning.  I am now back to 20meg.  I am posting  this as it was not a line fault but my bro turning the modem off by mistake.  Will this effect my overall speed after the 10 day period or should it go back to the 23 meg as it previously ran seemlessly at?
Thanks in advance
Lee
User:bobbyellimegan
3 REPLIES 3
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Brother turned modem off ><

Hi there,
Not sure to be honest. It should uplift but it's really not ideal to turn the modem off I'm afraid - it's all a bit new so the tools to reset the profile etc aren't available to ISPs yet. I'd leave it and see where you are in a week or so, things should move back with any luck.
grahamt
Rising Star

When the BT engineer installed FTTC (on August 9th) he powered up the modem for me when I was out of the room. It wasn't in the most convenient socket on my plugboard, but I didn't want to change the socket immediately in case the line reacted adversely to being turned off.
Today I took the plunge and moved the modem plug to a new socket (having turned off the router first). After an hour or so I did a BT speedtest. Fortunately, all was well. My IP profile was still 38717 (Plusnet profile 37Mb/s)and the actual throughput was about 33Mb/s.
Speedtests vary a lot, though, so don't just go by one set of results. The mybroadbandspeed site linked to the Plusnet member centre is particularly variable.
In any case, most of your actual throughput will be limited by other factors (Plusnet application throttling, internet congestion, etc.)
Graham
leegit

Hello again,
The speed did return to normal after a day and was working fine again but then realised this morning its dropped to around 21 i'm hoping this isnt due to the modem being turned off and hopefully due to fact my line wasnt functioning as good as i thought on 23meg  Crazy