cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband woes (for a whole month)

caribou
Grafter

Broadband woes (for a whole month)

A month has passed since I raised a broadband fault ticket. Speed was dropping to a crawl for no reason (I had been getting a healthy and consistent ~5000kbps for months before that). For the past month I've been rebooting the gateway everytime I need to surf etc. This usually helps.
Finally, earlier this week, Plusnet have raised the issue with BT. The problem seemed begin at the same time as an outage at the exchange. I'm now waiting for the three to four days to pass to hear what the results are. I'm not confident of hearing anything useful back because I think my "speed dropping" issue I have will be confused with this latest incident.
On Tuesday some yobs set fire to some BT equipment near our house and we (and the neighbours) lost all phone and broadband for the best part of a day. Interestingly, there's still an engineer out there now. He worked all through the night too - we could hear his generator running. I was so lucky I uploaded my OU assessment early. Anyway, I think this problem will mask any issues that I'm having.
When I checked the BT speedtester this morning it says my IP profile is now only 1250. What?? I'm sure it was 6000 the last time I checked. Would the vandalism have done this? Would everyone's profiles have been reset? Is there any way to get this sorted quickly?
Sync speeds had been 7000+. Now down to 6400.
Can anyone out there help me? Tried phoning Plusnet got got fed up waiting.
Cheers.
Stephen
4 REPLIES 4
paulby
Grafter

Re: Broadband woes (for a whole month)

If you continue to sync at 6400 you should see your IP profile rise back up.  It can take a few days though!
James
Grafter

Hi Stephen,
I'd say that the vandalism is more than likely to be the case of your profile change.
Like Paul's mentioned, if you hold those sync rates, your profile will increase again within 2-3 days.
caribou
Grafter

Thanks Paul and James. I know about that. I just wondered if there's a quick way of sorting things after the line fails. It seems harsh for the customer to have to wait for three days (with no guarantee that you'll be back to where you were).
I want to watch the golf online this weekend and need a decent speed for smooth streaming. OK - I know, it's sad but at least it's a bad habit that harms only myself.
Stephen
fnuseless
Dabbler

AT least you ahave a good speed m8
mine has been pants for about 3 months nowoff and on. it will sync at 2300 for a few days then drops to less than a meg.
i really am getting fed up with it all to be honest even the pings have dropped since i joined gamer pro not much of an advert fo that.
AND TOTAL DISCONNECTIONS AS WELL NOW.
down loading from fileplanet on a paid subscription line at 12kbs wow!!!!!!
even my tickets are all but ignored.have bought different modems th lot but to no avail looks like the only way i will get it sorted will be to leave plus net after some 5-6 years or more.
Sorry to say had enough of being ignored will take me £20 quid else where Sad