cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bridge two routers wirelessly

force9

Bridge two routers wirelessly

Hello
The second computer in our house used to connect via a POWERLINE  to my computer which has a Netgear wireless router. This second computer is now on a second telephone line with a Plusnet router. So the computers are no longer connected and I have lost my home network.
How can I make the two routers speak to each other wirelessly?
Geoffrey
4 REPLIES 4
apjashley1
Grafter

Re: Bridge two routers wirelessly

What is it you're trying to accomplish?
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Assuming that both PCs now connect to two different routers using 2 different broadband connections connecting both machines together via the poweline adapters would be the best way to network the two machines, that way you'd need not worry about connecting the two routers.
Adam
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 162

Adam,
A nice idea, but is it that simple?
I suggest there are a number of questions which need to be asked first.  If the computers are Ethernet connected to their respective routers, then this suggestion probably will not work, as assuming each computer has only one Ethernet nic, there is no where to connect them to.
One might consider connecting the two routers together over the power LAN but careful thought needs to be given to each routers IP address / sub net and to ensure that each computer connects to the correct Internet service.  To fully answer this question needs the OP to describe in more detail their networking requirements.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

As others have said, it depends what you want to do, but...
Assuming you want PC A to use ISP A, PC B to use ISP B and for PC A to be able to share files with PC B (and access printers etc) a messy (but zero hardware) solution would be to:

Configure Router A as 192.168.0.1
Configure Router B as 192.168.1.1
Configure PC A as 192.168.0.2, 255.255.255.0 mask, gateway 192.168.0.1
Configure PC B as 192.168.1.2, 255.255.255.0 mask, gateway 192.168.1.1
Add a second IP address to PC A 192.168.1.3, 255.255.255.0 mask and no gateway
Add a second IP address to PC B 192.168.0.3, 255.255.255.0 mask and no gateway
PC DNS servers can be set to their respective routers or to Google/OpenDNS etc
Decide which network you're going to use for other devices in the house e.g.192.168.0.xxx and turn off the DHCP server in the other router.
Plug the two routers together LAN<>LAN  This connection can be via your Powerline adapters and the management IP addresses for them both should be on the 192.168.0.xxx network.

A neater way would be to add a second NIC card to both machines...