cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT have reduced my speed, how can I get it up?

mushroomwood
Dabbler

BT have reduced my speed, how can I get it up?

Hi
I had problems last night with, I think, the pipe drop from PN.  I reconnect this morning and change gateways a couple of times and find that I am only getting a sync of 1344.  I normally get around 3500.
When I check with the BT speedchecker it seems that it has come down to 1000, when normally it is around 3500 mark.
I am assuming that BT have marked my sync speed down because of poor syncing overnight, nothing else has changed in my setup, no new devices, filters, etc. etc.
How can I get BT to re-check the sync speed and get it back up to something reasonable again?
Any thoughts gratefully received.
Toby
8 REPLIES 8
James
Grafter

Re: BT have reduced my speed, how can I get it up?

Hi Toby,
You've hit the nail on the head there.
If you have a poor resync speed, BT will reduce your profiled speed within 75 minutes.  Once you gain a higher sync speed, this needs to be stable for upto about 3 days before your profile is raised again.  this happens automatically.
It's not a great process and I'm sure it's not much fun for you, but unfortunately it's how the system works.
mushroomwood
Dabbler

James
thanks for your speedy response.  I suspected this might be the case but at least I know what to expect now, its uncertainty that is the real hassle.
I'll wait for 3 days and see what happens.
Toby
thepark
Grafter

Toby
I disconnected my router and reconnected after a minute 3 times in the same day and my profile went up on the same day. You could be lucky.
Peter
mushroomwood
Dabbler

Peter
thanks, I'll try that and see what happens.
Toby
James
Grafter

Craig,
That's not true.
If it were, it would mean a world of pain for USB Modem users.
mushroomwood
Dabbler

James
Huh Huh  Craig?
Methinks you have Message Reply Confusion Syndrome
Cheesy
mar7t1n
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

BT have now introduced new profiling rules - Adaptive Max Logic.
Decreases in sync speed will still reflect in the IP profile within 75 mins.
Increases in sync speed will be depend on the percentage of the increase and will vary between a few hours and up to 5 days.
The intention is to stabalise line speeds while accounting for blips which cause big drops which then reset the next time you use your router.
Why they can't just use the speed you connect at and be done with it I really don't know, but that's the way it works.
To protect yourself from blips I recommend that you switch off your router when you aren't using it. This reduces the probability of your seeing a blip as you'll be connected less hours. And it also saves power and thus money and the planet.
Don't think that switching it off and on and off and on again will make it work better. It's not like other computers, the more you do this the lower the IP profile will go. 10 reconnects in an hour is defined as a flapping line and causes a serious degredagion in speed. If you get problems turn it off and go and do something else for an hour.
James
Grafter

They've also introduce the best terminology ever.  Chronic Flappers.