cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT ADSL Master socket

Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: BT ADSL Master socket

[quote=purleigh]For fastest AND most stable broadband performance, plug the router directly into the ADSL outlet of the existing filtered faceplate, and then connect the router to your computers by ethernet cable, or homeplugs, or alternatively by WiFi.
Where possible it will be better to extend the local network connections and keep the router next to the master socket, rather than extend the ADSL cable to take the router nearer to the computers.
MJN
Pro
Fixes: 5

Quote from: Ben
I see no reason to buy an XTE-2005 (or similar) filtered faceplate and then use an extension socket for the ADSL,

The usual reason is because you don't want to plug the router into the master socket e.g. if the socket is placed immediately beside the front door in a narrow hall like in my case and/or there is no mains provision nearby. As a recently-married man I know only too well that with matters such as these aesthetics have to be given equal consideration to performance!  Wink
With an XTE-2005 faceplate you can run unfiltered feeds to another socket to allow the router to be sited elsewhere, with the NTE-2000 you cannot (although as Purleigh says it sounds like with the NTE2005 you can). Of course, there may be some attenuation but when you've got no choice you've got no choice...
I my case I have run an unfiltered feed to a socket under the stairs (where the modem is) and a filtered feed to all the remaining extension sockets (via the existing wiring). There is no discernible drop in performance in this setup.
Mathew
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Ah, I get ya.
JayG
Pro
Fixes: 6

About 3 years ago a telegraph pole down my road was struck by lightning, taking my answering machine/phone, Belkin lightning protector ( ???) and modem with it.
Since then I try and disconnect the phone/ADSL line if there are any storms about to protect my equipment, so a filtered faceplate wouldn't work for me (inasmuch as I would have to take it off to protect that as well.)
I use the standard NTE5 socket with a filter plugged straight in, an RJ11 extension cable from there to the router upstairs, and the phone extension circuit plugged into the phone outlet of the filter (the extensions are not hard-wired to the rear of the master socket in my house.)
The extension cable is a 15M, so called "high quality" product from Amazon (cheap, flat 2-wire, but with gold contacts  ::)) routed away from any obvious source of intereference. Net result is I only have one filter to worry about, the line stats are almost identical to when plugged directly into the master socket (a 15M extension represents less than a 1% addition to my overall line length from the exchange) and I can of course quickly unplug everything in a hurry.