Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT ADSL Master socket

Robtheplod
Grafter

BT ADSL Master socket

Hello All
I have a BT Master socket that had the ADSL faceplate on (with ADSL and telco port). I've now come to move my router to another room in the house but it seems the ADSL signal is not passing the master socket (no ADSL detected). It's all wired correctly and the phone works - do these filters block the ADSL signal to subsequent sockets?? and if so do i just need to replace the faceplate with a standard one and use a normal ADSL tail filter in the new room?Huh
thanks!
18 REPLIES 18
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: BT ADSL Master socket

Any sockets which are extensions from your master socket should allow you to connect to ADSL, normally you'd just need to connect via a standard filter to those. The fact that you're not able to sync on the extension may mean that it's too far away or that there could be an issue with the cabling between the two sockets.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Robtheplod
Grafter

thanks, looking at internal wiring, if voice is present and working then does this also mean that broadband signals should be ok?
it just seems the bulky Bt master socket faceplate is not passing ADSL signals to extensions..... could this be so?
thanks for replies!!
JayG
Pro
Fixes: 6

The ADSL socket passes all of the incoming signal from the phone line, the phone socket has the ADSL part of the signal filtered out.to enable non-ADSL equipment to work properly.
Probably worth checking if your router still works correctly connected directly to the master socket ADSL output - if it does there must be something wrong with your extension wiring even though it appears OK.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 415

AFAIK the BT ADSL Faceplate (NTE2000) filters the extension wiring. Hence the ADSL signal is ONLY present on the faceplate ADSL connector.
and if so do i just need to replace the faceplate with a standard one and use a normal ADSL tail filter in the new room?Huh

Yup

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

JayG
Pro
Fixes: 6

Doh! (hadn't realised the router was being connected via the filtered phone extension wiring!)
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

thanks, looking at internal wiring, if voice is present and working then does this also mean that broadband signals should be ok?

No, it's possible for the voice signal to pass through and the ADSL signal to be too weak for your router to synchronise.
As some of the other guys here have mentioned it's probably an issue with the extension wiring.
Adam.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: MisterW
AFAIK the BT ADSL Faceplate (NTE2000) filters the extension wiring. Hence the ADSL signal is ONLY present on the faceplate ADSL connector.
and if so do i just need to replace the faceplate with a standard one and use a normal ADSL tail filter in the new room?Huh

Yup

Also if you have a phone or anything else plugged in to the master socket after you've changed the face plate to a standard one it will also need a tail filter.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Anonymous
Not applicable

On the filter that I use - ADSLNation XTE-2005,  it has separately filtered phone and ADSL sockets on the front, but also separately filtered connections internally so that you have SEPARATE extension wiring for voice equipment, and different terminals for Cat5 cabling ADSL specific outlets.  See connection diagram http://www.adslnation.com/downloads/docs/XTE-2005_Guide.pdf
IDC terminals on the rear allow connection of additional filtered and unfiltered hardwired telephone extensions. Ideal for people who would rather not have filters plugged in to the telephone socket or situations where equipment must be hardwired to the line such as alarm systems.
The XTE-2005 faceplate contains the same high quality filter as our highly respected XF-1e and XTF filters. Containing four high quality ferrite cores to ensure that accurate frequency separation is achieved.
Accurate separation ensures that overspill is minimised. Overspill is where the ADSL signal leaks in to the voice frequency range or speech interferes with the ADSL signal. The high quality, low tolerance components used ensure that your ADSL service will run at maximum performance and that your telephone calls will be free of interference. No other faceplate filter can offer such high performance, compatible with even the most complex telephone equipment. Fully compatible with DECT cordless phones and PABX systems.

From that description, I read that as the ADSL signals have been filtered out of the voice extensions, and therefore plugging in a router into the voice circuit is unlikely to work.
MJN
Pro
Fixes: 5

Quote from: purleigh
From that description, I read that as the ADSL signals have been filtered out of the voice extensions, and therefore plugging in a router into the voice circuit is unlikely to work.

That's exactly right. The NTE2000 filters the ADSL from all extensions wired from it hence the modem won't work in any socket but the master.
The benefit of the 3rd party NTE2000 replacements are that they usually provide two sets of IDC connectors for extension sockets, one providing voice (no ADSL) as per the NTE2000 and the other providing both voice and ADSL (i.e. unfiltered).
Mathew
Robtheplod
Grafter

Thanks for all the replies its very much appreciated. I shall go on the basis that the faceplate has filtered the signal out and get a standard one. Failing this then it's the cabling!
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hang on a minute !
Connecting an ADSL router to phone extension sockets wired with standard voice grade phone cable is NEVER going to be a good idea.
You could do better by running some Cat-5 cable from the ADSL terminals of the existing filtered faceplate, up to where to router will be used - either directly into the router, or to a suitable socket that the router can be connected to, and leave the existing voice extensions alone.
For fastest AND most stable broadband performance, plug the router directly into the ADSL outlet of the existing filtered faceplate, and then connect the router to your computers by ethernet cable, or homeplugs, or alternatively by WiFi.
Changing a filtered faceplate to an unfiltered one is the last thing you should do, and increasing the distance between master socket and router is likely to degrade broadband performance and risk an unstable connection !.
MJN
Pro
Fixes: 5

Quote from: purleigh
You could do better by running some Cat-5 cable from the ADSL terminals of the existing filtered faceplate, up to where to router will be used [...]

The problem with this, if my understanding of the NTE2000 is correct (I don't have one),  is that there are no such terminals on it. Of course, it could be plugged into the ADSL RJ11 socket but I'd be inclined to get a faceplate from the likes of ADSL Nation / Clarity for a more 'proper' job.
Mathew
Anonymous
Not applicable

The OP has never said what model of faceplate is fitted, the mention of "NTE2000" is an assumption later on.
Having looked it up, the "NTE2000" only has three IDC terminals for extension wiring, whereas the "NTE2005" has six terminals - which include the 'A' and 'B' terminals for ADSL extension.
I agree with 'MJN', get an ADSLnation XTE-2005 for a professional fix it once and for all time solution.
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

The NTE2000, by design, filters out the ADSL frequencies and pushes them to the ADSL port. The PSTN frequencies are pushed to the PSTN socket on the front of the filter and the extension wiring. This is why you then no longer need filters on the internal extension sockets. There should be insufficient ADSL frequencies present to allow sync on an extension sockets but I've seen it happen (poorly).
I see no reason to buy an XTE-2005 (or similar) filtered faceplate and then use an extension socket for the ADSL, you'll probably end up with a worse signal than a standard NTE5 and filters. I suppose you could put these faceplates on every socket for neatness but that'll get expensive.