cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BGP Feed

mcgurka
Grafter

BGP Feed

Can PN push a BGP feed out to a static IP on their DSL network, my new router runs with a BGP feed, is this something which is doable?

Scott
7 REPLIES 7
ChemicalBrother
Grafter

Re: BGP Feed

Hey Scott,
I know that we have a few non-techie types round here, me included... what is a BGP?Huh
Roger.
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Border_Gateway_Protocol
Not sure what you would do with it or what you actually need it for as its primarily used for higher level routing between ISPs and major networks.
mcgurka
Grafter

well, really for more want to use the high end features of my router rather than anything else.
So there is no *real* need as such, it would just be extremly nice if it was possible
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

If you were able to use these "high end features", what improved functionality, operability or performance do you think would be derived? I'd already looked at the wikipefia page Peter linked and couldn't fathom out what relevance it had to a home user.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
mcgurka
Grafter

In the premises where my connection is based, it is used for business purposes, and is a business connection.
In the building, we span multiple DSL providers through a common router, BGP would allow us to increase network routing speed by directly connecting us to the 'shortest path' to any given host, based on BGP providing information about peers and closest routes.
Its not really a neccessity, but simplifies things an awful lot from an admin standpoint
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

I understand where you are coming from now. I guess it would only really be relevant to a business user.
Do any other ISP's provide a BGP feed?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
mcgurka
Grafter

Well, I know demon, and eclips are going to provide me with BGP, so all i need is PN to complete the set at my new base in dock street, dundee