cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus N66U Users Thread

darklight
Grafter

Re: Asus N66U Users Thread

ok just decided to reboot the asus n66u router this morning (not touch the modem) and when i try and plus it back in reboot router, it won't get a pppoe session at all, so i plug the plusnet router in and its working fine i'm using it now, so what do i now to fix the stupid asus router  Cry
Bright
Grafter

@darklight
How did you do this? Did you properly disconnect the PPPoE session first before rebooting the Asus router? If you just disconnect the router from the modem, power off the router or do anything else that immediately disconnects the router from the circuit, then the PPP server at the other end of the line doesn't detect that the link has gone down. It takes about 8 minutes for the PPP session to time out before you can log in again.
So I'm guessing you switched off your router and the old PPP session hadn't timed out by the time the Asus was ready to log in again. But by the time you'd connected up the PN router the 8 minute time-out had cleared the "stale" PPP session so the PN router was able to log in immediately.
So probably a problem with Plusnet's PPP timers rather than anything wrong with your Asus router.  Smiley
darklight
Grafter

Still have the PN router in now working fine so i'm drop session in this router and i'll plug the asus router in see how that works out. 
It as been more the 8mins since i unplug the asus router.
darklight
Grafter

Still nothing the asus will not connect to a session at all, plug the PN techno router in and works straight away, what next to try?
TBag
Grafter

Remember the PN Getting started guide, where they advice to connect the router for 15 minutes and go have a cup of tea, when BT man has gone? There's a reason for that. Strictly speaking 15 minutes are not always necessary but sometimes the routers at PN end may take as long as that to authenticate the customer side router's mac address and slot that address into their system. Now if you change the router, getting the PPP connection could be a few minutes or as long as 15 minutes, because PN routers go about that chore of re-authenticating the new mac address.
So if you connect the Asus for 10-15 minutes, and nothing happens then at least you have eliminated the above stated theory. Then you could try few things to ascertain weather the router is kaputt.
darklight
Grafter

TBag That guide is for getting your techno router first time setup i'm using a asus n66u router which is already as the user and pass entered in the router, all i did is drop session in the asus router and try and connect a session again it just won't do it.
I can drop my session on the techno router from PN and reconnect again i don't need to wait 10-15mins because its already configured, and so is the asus router so why is it not getting a session with the asus router.
TBag
Grafter

You connected the PN router and that worked. So on Plusnet end PN router's mac address is entered. Now when you change to Asus router, Plusnet see this as a different router/mac address, and takes some time to enter its details in their system. That is why you should connect it for a while and see what happens.
npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

Try switching off the modem then reconnect the Asus before switching both on.
I don't have a Asus but often find the above necessary when trying a different routers.
AndyH
Grafter

Is Enable WAN checked under the WAN page?
darklight
Grafter

ok i've managed to get the asus router working only by clearing nvram by holding down the wps at back of router, set the router to factory default and i had to enter the PN user and pass and all the other settings i made again like port forwarding stuff and wifi details.
Well thats a pain if i want to reboot the router in the future again i need to set it to default settings each time.
TBag
Grafter

Save the router settings, so in the unlikely event that you have to reset the router as today, you can then just restore the settings. You'll find the Save/Restore settings Tab, in Administration, in Asus
darklight
Grafter

no good saving settings, because when its set to factory default (clear the vnram), it goes to the quick setup page soon as you enter the router gui, can't remember seeing any option to load back settings.
I've also noticed the time zone is 1 hour infront, i set it to GMT, but i guess its no point messing with the time zone now because clocks go forward this weekend.
AndyH
Grafter

I believe you can skip the quick internet setup by going to http://192.168.1.1/Advanced_SettingBackup_Content.asp
flaminmoses
Grafter

>
any explanation for this on the new firmware?
AndyH
Grafter

@ flaminmoses - I think you're missing the link in your post. The increased pings on your TBB must be because the PS3 responds to pings as a lower priority (or perhaps a problem with the ethernet cable?) - your internal wired network should have a ping of less than 1ms.