cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding second router to network

Siddy
Grafter

Adding second router to network

Hi people, recently moved from Virginmedia and with them i used their superhub as a modem and then a WNR2000 which is a cable router.
Anyway what i want to know is can the WNR2000 along side the plusnet adsl router? Its not to expand the wireless network its to have my media streaming device and nas unit on, the reason i want to do this is because the supplied router the technicolor 582 keeps hanging the streamer and by that i mean the picture freezes but in the background the video continues to play and then all of a sudden the show fast-forwards to where it should be.
Right now i have two networks going but im wondering if their is a way to join them into one, my main pc is a wired connection only meaning im using a flashdrive to put the files on my laptop then disconnecting from plusnet router then connecting to the second network to transfer the files to my nas im then having to ''try'' and reconnect to the plusnet network (it has a hissyfit says its taking too long to connect and have to retry and it finally connects no idea why) so im trying to make this process easier. If not then i guess ill have to start looking for a cheat router that will do the job.
3 REPLIES 3
bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

Re: Adding second router to network

It would help to know more about your streamer and how it connects to the network.  Is it wifi only ?
There are a couple of options you can consider if you don't want to buy a new router.
1.  Configure the TG582n as a bridge modem and turn off the wifi.  Then use your WNR2000 as the wifi router wired to the TG582n 'modem'. This best mimics what you previous had on Virgin Cable.  You would need to configure the WNR2000 for PPPoE connection (not dynamic IP as would have been used with Virgin) provided Virgin have not removed that settings option from their supplied cable router.   The downside is you won't be able to access the TG582n modem stats (in same way it was not easy to access the superhub stats when it was in 'modem mode') Warning: Only consider this option if you have an alternative method to getting back onto this forum if you run into problems setting up the modem or WNR2000 and need advice!
2.  Keep the TG582n as your main router and perhaps switch off its wireless. The default IP address of the WNR2000 is 192.168.1.1 according to google so it is in same subnet as TG582n which uses 192.168.1.254.   So I think you can simply use the WNR2000 as a wireless access point (WAP) by simply switching off its DHCP server. Then wire any one of the 4 ethernet sockets from the WNR2000 to the TG582n if the WNR2000 does not have a dedicated WAP mode.   Any ethernet wired devices can be plugged into either the TG582n or WNR2000.
3. Keep the TG582n as your main router and switch off the wireless.  This time just change the IP address of the WNR2000 from default 192.168.1.1 to say 192.168.2.1.  Make sure the DHCP server has also changed its DHCP scope from issuing 192.168.1.x addresses to 192.168.2.x addresses which the WNR2000 may do automatically for you when you change the IP address.   Then wire the Internet WAN port from the WNR2000 to the TG582n.   Any remaining ethernet wired devices must be wired to the WNR2000.  I don't recommend this option, but it is probably the easiest and safest option to try first.

For option 1, there was a recent post a few weeks ago describing how to upload a bridge modem template (courtesy of Zen Internet) to the TG582n, but I can't find the thread at the moment.  I think the thread referred to this web page:
http://support.zen.co.uk/kb/Knowledgebase/Broadband-Uploading-templates-to-a-Technicolor-TG582n-rout...

ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-
Siddy
Grafter

Thanks doe the info zZz, i will probably try option 2 and see how that goes i just wasnt sure if i could use them together, only other alternative is another router which i can not afford at moment too much money going out need more in haha.
Thanks again for taking the time to write this response.
Grafter

Anyone have any ideas why the computer connected via ethernet takes two minutes to connect to the network?
Anyone know how to sort this out?