Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Accurate Speed Testers?

sjrinfroyle
Grafter

Accurate Speed Testers?

Hello,
With mybroadbandspeed a bit "broken" at the moment, I am looking for a few new speed testers. My only requirements are that they are accurate, quick and they measure in Mb/s. Could I please have some suggestions?
Thank you.
8 REPLIES 8
tomxlisa
Grafter

Re: Accurate Speed Testers?

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Just run www.speedtest ; = 6.08
My BB = 5.79
BB Max  = 5.77
so My BB is not so "broke" as it seems to make out...... Wink
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

No speedtester can be guaranteed to be 100% accurate 100% of the time. Most can give erroneous results when their servers are under heavy load.
That is supposedly the primary issue with mybroadbandspeed.co.uk at the moment and I have recently complained about the "sorry" notice being misleading and it could be more explicit.
The Namesco (bbmax) one has given me stupid results everytime I've tried it. I've just ran 4 tests all giving faster results than my profile by nearly 0.75M.
Speedtest.net which has behaved like bbmax many times in the past has given better results of late, but it may depend on which server you pick at any given time. I've just run 4 test on 3 different servers and they all gave results faster than my profile  Roll_eyes
The thinkbroadband.com has always had a good reputation for giving accurate results, but I suspect of late it may be suffering from busy server issues on occasions.
The one I've found most consistent lately and giving the sort of result I'd expect was the BT beta speedtester, although it's ping result can sometimes be a bit inconsistent.
The BT Diagnostic tester has performed better of late (since the last fix) giving  a result slightly slower than the Beta tester but never the less a believable one.
My rule of thumb is run several tests on several testers (ignoring the testers that give stupid results) and look for consistency in the believable figures. Run some tests at very off-peak times (say 0300-0600) to get a good idea of what you connection should do when there is not likely to be any congestion.
Edit: you can add the iPlayer Diagnostics to the list.
tomxlisa
Grafter

Another good way of testing is to download something you know will max out your line.
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Use a download manager to make sure you get a multi-threaded download and start downloading a large file from a source such as Microsoft (then cancel the download once you get a reasonably steady download rate).  Note, this will probably give a rate in MB/sec, multiply by 8 for Mb/s.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Anonymous
Not applicable

When I doubt a speedtesters results then I download a largish file and check the throughput shown by the 'Firestarter' firewall on my PC.
GrahamC
Grafter

All things are relative, including Broadband speed tests.
Choose one and stick to it.
Any changes should be indicative of changes on your connection.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

As suggested previously you need to use more than one (but perhaps one predominantly), if the usual one shows a drop run another to check that it's not just a problem with the speedtester.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)