Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADSL2+ Upgrade and training Period

TLE
Grafter

ADSL2+ Upgrade and training Period

Hi all,
I am hoping some of you guys can answer a few questions for me. I have just been upgraded from ADSL (dsl max) to ADSL2+. Previously on DSL Max my router synced at the full 8096Mb, and I would on average have a download speed of around 6.5Mb.
I have performed a BT Speedtest with the following results which are attached. Since the upgrade my router hasn't had a single drop out, the connection has been constant.
During the 10 day training period will my speed increase if the connection is stable? And in turn will it move up to the next IP profile. If so, how long should this take?
I also remember with DSL Max restarting the router 3-4 times usring this period, does this still apply to ADS2+?
I can't get line starts from my router as it is bridged and so therefor I don't have access to them with out resetting the modem back to defaults.
Any information would be appreciated.
Thanks
TLE
8 REPLIES 8
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: ADSL2+ Upgrade and training Period

what more do you want?
there is no training period for the switch from ADSL to ADSL2
TLE
Grafter

Hmmmm, I was told by the Plusnet staff that there is a training period for ADSL2+.
It's not that I want more, I'm more than happy with that speed, but I was originally quoted 17Mb and I am just wondering if this will increase. Is it wrong for me to want the best possible speed from my line.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

what does the BT checker say (dont print your phone number on here)  https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html
and what does your router stats sau http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/frogstats.php
this should give you a good idea of your line,  dont forget that the synch rate is what goes down the line before transmission losses and then you have to take off  power losses before you get you download speed.
TLE
Grafter

Here are the results from the BT Checker:
Our test also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL2+ broadband line speed of 17Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 10Mbps and 19.5Mbps. Our test also indicates that your line could support an estimated ADSL 2+ Annex-M broadband upstream line speed of 1.5Mbps and downstream line speed of 17Mbps; typically the downstream speed would range between 10Mbps and 19.5Mbps.
The actual stable line speed supportable will be determined during the first 10 days of use. This speed may change over time, to ensure line stability is maintained.
I can't get line stats without resetting the modem as it is bridged and does not have a routable IP address through my Cisco router. I don't want to do that until the 10 day period is up.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi TLE,
I'd see how it is after the 10 days. It is possible for the speed to increase but it looks like your line is working well within the estimate.
Jojo Smiley
TLE
Grafter

Hi Jojo,
Thanks for the response, does this mean I am unlikley to see any speed increase? I was under the impression that the 10 day period was to find the best possible stable speed.
Does disconnecting and reconnecting help prompt speed increases as it did with DSL max, or does this not apply anymore?
Thanks
TLE
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

If you do disconnect/reconnect maximum of ONCE a day and do it around lunchtime.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
TLE
Grafter

Should the IP Profile shown by the BT Speedtester match the Current Line speed as shown by Plusnet. I was always under the impression that PN recieved a Delta report from BT and then the Line speed was matched to the IP Profile....or have I got this totally wrong Smiley
IP Profile for your line is - 15000 Kbps
Current line speed: 14 Mb
Scratch that..it is the same Kb to Mb....doh!!!