cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unreachable static IP address

richtat

Unreachable static IP address

I have been using Plus Net business broadband for my office network with a NETGEAR router for several years without any problems. I have just signed up to Plus Net Personal Broadband on a  separate phone line with a static IP address 212.159.79.122 to run some web server tests. I have installed the Thomson router supplied by PlusNet. A computer plugged into the router browses the web quite happily.  The firewall in the router is disabled and in the firewall in my PlusNet control panel is switched off. There are no port blocking/unblocking options in the router configuration screens.
HTTP requests to the address from my business network always say 'Internet Explorer cannot display web page'.
I cannot PING this address from my business line.
TraceRoute to the address or domain name allocated to that address times out.
Running WIRESHARK on a computer plugged into the router to capture port 80 shows no packets received when I send HTTP requests to the static IP address from my business line.
Plusnet support say they cannot offer me any assistance - which has taken me aback considering that I am using their service and their router and their IP address..
Does anyone have any suggestions as to how this static IP address can be made fully functional ?
Is there some reason why it is impossible to access one PlusNet IP address from another PlusNet IP address ?
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Unreachable static IP address

All you should need to do is ensure that the router has 'Port #80' set to forward packets to the static IP address of the PC on your local network that you are using as a web server.
Unfortunately I have never owned a Thomson router, so can't tell you which pages to access, but you will have to look for 'Port Forward'.
Alternatively, most Netgear routers can easily be configured to work on Plusnet, by changing the login parameters and ensuring the DNS values are not using your previous ISP's servers.
Anonymous
Not applicable

On my Linksys router the page looks like -

where the 'IP address' is that of my home web server on my local network.

You should have your router firewall ENABLED for protecting your network, as the 'Port Forward' makes a tunnel for HTTP web requests to reach your web server.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 397

This http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Thomson-Alcatel/SpeedTouch585/HTTP.htm should help

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Anonymous
Not applicable

As for 'PING',  by default I would expect your router to reject PINGs to effectively make it invisible to the rest of the world.
There will probably be a setting somewhere to make the router respond to ICMP packets.
On my router there is a tick box in the Security/Firewall section called "Block Anonymous Internet Requests" which when unticked makes it respond to external PINGs.
richtat

Thanks for all your suggestions. Having configured an option in the router to set up the computer as a 'game' for HTTP as suggested in the portforward.com link I can now get a response from my web server so hopefully that resolves the issue.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just checking back !
I see your website is now accessible and seems to work well !   Smiley
However your address does not respond to PINGs - I don't know whether you decided that you wanted it to or not, though IMHO I would choose NOT to respond to PINGs.
Good luck with your project  Wink