Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

who wants compensation for slow broadband

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: who wants compensation for slow broadband

@oakstar
If you still have a problem with your throughput speed, please start a thread on the Broadband Speed board and post the results from the BT speedtester http://www.speedtester.bt.com/ , also login to the member centre here https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed and post that information but delete the last 4 digits of your phone number. (post all results by doing a text copy & paste, we don't need images, thanks).
Not applicable

I voted only think that compensation should be paid if there is no service. The speed issue is down to so many variables - line length, set up in the home, computer status to name but a few. It is up to the customer and Plusnet to work together to obtain the best speeds possible for the line.
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Ive voted 0%,we all know the service is "upto 8mbps" for most of us,agree with above post,only compensated for no service at all,
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
oakstar
Grafter

hi anotherone, there is really no point - you see there is nothing wrong with BT's exchange, my line or my equipment at my location. i have better things to do and wait to receive what i am paying for.
Anotherone
Champion

If you are absolutely certain your exchange is not congested, and you are synced constantly with the exchange at the highest possible speed for your line, that your BT profile and PN profile are constantly correct for the sync speed, and your internal wiring is up to a suitable standard for broadband and your line is not picking up interference and has been exhaustively tested for faults, then probably not.
But that is in direct conflict with your initial post where you referred to "..... poor connections at regular intervals...."
PN have no control over your connection to the exchange, nor are they responsible for your internal wiring - the latter being your responsibility.
So either what you said initially is misleading, or you don't want help to get to the bottom of your issues. Some of these may have been due to PN's network problems, and you can see what steps they've been taking to resolve this if you've been following the Service Status.
I've seen too many posts here where people have been moaning and blaming Plusnet for everything, when a significant number of them have been having problems with their connection to the exchange and/or their internal wiring.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Up to 8MB means that if your are very close to the exchange, have no issues with your wiring, connect it all properly using good filters and a properly working router they will give you a solid 8MB connection speed.
If you choose to live further away from the exchange, have substandard wiring, don't connect it up properly or have duff equipment you won't get 8MB. It's your choice and Plusnet can't be held responsible (and nor will any other ISP). What your fellow forum users and Plusnet will do is help you get the optimum speed given your circumstances.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
dfstrottersfan
Dabbler

I wish I had a connection - I had a poor connection for the last week - constantly dropping out
I have had no connection at all since Saturday - and no response from the fault team.
Someone senior in PlusNet needs to do something about this level of team response !!!!!!
Anotherone
Champion

@dfstrottersfan
If / when you get a connection, if you'd like to start your own thread on the Community Support board and post some modem/router ADSL line stats, hopefully someone can help, but it may get the attention of one of the Comms team who can look at your ticket. If you need help getting stats try here - http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/frogstats.php
Mand
Grafter

@dfstrottersfan, I've got someone looking at your fault at the moment.
Anotherone
Champion

@dfstrottersfan
If you could post any further feedback in your own thread that would help, thanks.
oakstar
Grafter

Quote from: Anotherone
If you are absolutely certain your exchange is not congested, and you are synced constantly with the exchange at the highest possible speed for your line, that your BT profile and PN profile are constantly correct for the sync speed, and your internal wiring is up to a suitable standard for broadband and your line is not picking up interference and has been exhaustively tested for faults, then probably not. -  correct
But that is in direct conflict with your initial post where you referred to "..... poor connections at regular intervals...." - caused by plusnet's hardware and software problems not mine
PN have no control over your connection to the exchange, nor are they responsible for your internal wiring - the latter being your responsibility - don't you get fed up of trotting this stuff out parrot fashion all the time ?
Roll_eyes
Anotherone
Champion

Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit.
For your information, I haven't been  ".. trotting this stuff out parrot fashion all the time ?"  A lot of users without any technical understanding do not appreciate that PN or any ISP have no control over the connection to the exchange, and unfortunately there have been several lately and it has been necessary to explain it to two or three, most of whom have been grateful for the help once they've understood the situation.
If you do have sufficient understanding then maybe you should have been more specific in your initial post instead of giving the wrong impression. And as you are so smart you will no doubt have read all the relevant T's&C's and other information relevant to the package that you signed upto and you will no doubt have also brushed up on what BT wholesale define as an acceptable broadband service in terms of throughput - all this within the regulations as controlled by OFCOM & AFAIK there is nothing that requires an ISP to provide anything to a different standard, never mind any compensation.
You want to take a good look round and read some of the horror stories that others have experienced with other ISP's.  I will criticise PN when it is justified. It seems they have been unlucky with some of the network problems due to hardware not performing to specification, but they did seem somewhat slow off the mark in recognising the problem. In terms of the customer base, they seem to have done a "TalkTalk".
They have been open about resolving the problems, how many ISP's do you know that would even admit to the problems?
Quote from: oakstar
............................ i have better things to do and wait to receive what i am paying for.
Well I hope you don't have to wait any longer. Maybe you could more usefully use your time complaining to OFCOM about the lack of regulations that force ISP's and BTw to provide a better standard of service and provide compensation when they don't....... and yes , I did trot that out to someone else recently Shocked
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Agree with ^ ::),it seems like a bit appreciation would be nice when one tries to help another out,seemed like a pointless poll anyway truth be told!!
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
oakstar
Grafter

Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit.

depends on your point of view
For your information, I haven't been  ".. trotting this stuff out parrot fashion all the time ?"  A lot of users without any technical understanding do not appreciate that PN or any ISP have no control over the connection to the exchange, and unfortunately there have been several lately and it has been necessary to explain it to two or three, most of whom have been grateful for the help once they've understood the situation.

fair enough, why don't you ask first ?
If you do have sufficient understanding then maybe you should have been more specific in your initial post instead of giving the wrong impression. And as you are so smart you will no doubt have read all the relevant T's&C's and other information relevant to the package that you signed upto and you will no doubt have also brushed up on what BT wholesale define as an acceptable broadband service in terms of throughput - all this within the regulations as controlled by OFCOM & AFAIK there is nothing that requires an ISP to provide anything to a different standard, never mind any compensation.

correct and yes i have.
You want to take a good look round and read some of the horror stories that others have experienced with other ISP's.  I will criticise PN when it is justified. It seems they have been unlucky with some of the network problems due to hardware not performing to specification, but they did seem somewhat slow off the mark in recognising the problem. In terms of the customer base, they seem to have done a "TalkTalk".

- i am paying plusnet not the others
Well I hope you don't have to wait any longer. Maybe you could more usefully use your time complaining to OFCOM

Grin (that would be fruitless)
about the lack of regulations that force ISP's and BTw to provide a better standard of service

- absolutely
and provide compensation when they don't....... and yes , I did trot that out to someone else recently Shocked

i'm not knocking you for offering to help - who would. i'm just saying ask first if the user is experienced or not  Smiley
adie:green tidied up quote to make it clear who is saying what.
oakstar
Grafter

Quote from: steve74
seemed like a pointless poll anyway truth be told!!

i agree totally pointless, and particularly representative of the apathy to the "rip off" britain we have all let ourselves be surrounded by; with at the pinnacle the banks. it's 1984 gentlemen.