cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Random High Speed Downloads

Spruance
Grafter

Random High Speed Downloads

I am on Plusnet Unlimited and my linespeed is usually around the 4.7Mbps mark which is about right for my distance from the local exchange. I am more than happy with my current download speed but occasionally I have noticed that files seems to download almost instantly. This happened today with a 22Mb file that I downloaded via Firefox. I had no sooner clicked save than it was there on my desktop! Is this pure coincidence or is it a sign that the exchange may be moving to an ultra high speed service?
4 REPLIES 4
scootie
Grafter

Re: Random High Speed Downloads

if you ip profile hastnt changed then files should take the same time to download https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed .
iam not 100% sure but dosent firefox start downloading the file before you have clicked where to save it?
if so did you wait a while before deciding where to save it?
scootie
Grafter

yes it does start to download before clicking save.
Spruance
Grafter

Ahh that explains it. I must say I do tend to favour Firefox for downloads as it's much faster than IE.
Thanks for the quick response. Wink
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Also note download speeds may vary at different times of day due to traffic shaping, depends on what and where you are downloading from. Some download sites impose limits as well!