Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT Business Hub (2700HGV) and long phone lines

mapletree
Grafter

BT Business Hub (2700HGV) and long phone lines

Hi,
I just bought a BT business hub (2700HGV) since I had heard these are good on high attenuation lines.  I normally get 2.5k sync rate on my other router.  However the BT hub only connected at 1888kps no matter how many times I rebooted it.  Is there any way to improve the speed that the 2700HGV connects?  (It has the BT 5.* firmware BTW).  It does report the same line stats as my other router.
24 REPLIES 24
198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

Re: BT Business Hub (2700HGV) and long phone lines

If nothing else has changed, and you're booting somewhere around the middle of the day, that seems most odd.
If you browse to http://192.168.1.254 (or whatever) /mdc, then go to Troubleshooting > DSL Diagnostics what figure does it give for 'Uncancelled Echo'?
While you're there, under Troubleshooting > Resets you can retrain without re-booting the router.
Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
Denzil
Grafter

How often are you rebooting it? Do it too often and the exchange might think you have a signal problem and lower the speed. Once or twice a day is OK.
mapletree
Grafter

IIRC a poor "uncancelled echo" reading would normally mean a suspect microfilter.  I don't think it is this since I have no issues with another router, using all the same cables.  I check it out when I can, but I am using my other router again now.
jack21
Grafter

Hi Mapletree, out of curiosity, what is your other router.....I'm using a 2700HGV on a long line/high attenuation  (5km and 67.8db) and I'm interested in any way I can improve the sync rate (896 at the mo). The HGV has proved the best af the routers I'd tried so far.
Cheers
mapletree
Grafter

Zyxel P660
jack21
Grafter

This has prompted me to experiment a little (in my 6km linelength/68db environment); I've found that out of a range of 6 different modem/routers all in their default configuration, my 2700HGV gives the best sync rate provided that I boot/reboot/retrain the modems at the 'best' SNR margin time of day - for me, that is around 9AM. Although an ST585v6 comes a very close second, and I'm awaiting a Zyxel P660 off Ebay to try-out.Additionally, the 2700HGV gives the lowest CRC and Error-second rates and the 'smoothest' SNR margin graph.
If I tweak the target SNR margin on the ST585, I can obtain up to 30-35% increases in sync rate, but at the expense of significant increased error rates, and sometimes lower overall performance because of the high error rates. The SNR margin graphs are not smooth at all - their SNR margin fluctuates very frequently. Furthermore, I find I have to reboot the tweaked Speedtouch every morning (at least) at 9 in order to keep usability - otherwise performance becomes very 'jerky'/stop-go, but I haven't seen any reported dropped connections. The 2700HGV, albeit at a lower sync rate, doesn't seem to need that daily attention.
The 2700HGV enables a sync at around 1244 kbps and to reliably hold an I/P profile of 1000. The tweaked ST585 will sync at up to 1568, but is guaranteed to become 'jerky' sooner or later, and I haven't had the patience to wait for the I/P profile to get to the next possible level - 1250.So I've settled for the better stability of the 2700HGV at the speed/thruput rate that I'm reasonably content with.
Its a great pity that I can't tweak the 2700HGV to check its overall performance at lower target SNR margins! If anyone knows how to do so, and the 2700HGV does seem to have a Unix o/s, I'd love to know.
I hope thats of interest.
ian007jen
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

I use the 2wire, speedtouch 716WL and/or the Netgear 834GT (DGTeam firmware) The benefit on the netgear is definitly the cli,I use
adsl connection --noretrain
to prevent the line from dropping at night, and can set the SNR in the morning with
adsl configure --snr 120 then
adsl connection --up
Let us know the results from the P660
My attenuation approx 48dB
Ian
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

Its a great pity that I can't tweak the 2700HGV to check its overall performance at lower target SNR margins! If anyone knows how to do so, and the 2700HGV does seem to have a Unix o/s, I'd love to know.

If you're up for some serious investigative work then there is a remote possibility ( very ) of tweaking the 2700HGV. I discovered some while ago that my 2700HGV with BT firmware 5.29.117.6 seemed to support some form of uPnP.  I noticed on my Ubuntu Linux PC that somehow when running Skype it managed to forward some  ports on my 2700 , very strange!!. I removed the forwarding , reran Skype and it did it again, got to be some form of uPnp support...
Anyway I did a bit of investigation with something called UpnpTest ( windows ) and sure enough the 2700 reported as being uPnp compliant. I started to look at it in more detail to see what facilities can be set with Upnp but never really got very far. I had to remove that 2700 with 5.29.117.6 because I didnt want to get it upgraded to version 6 by BT until the dust had settled ( seems like a good move now!! ). Anyway I put my spare into service but that has firmware 5.29.109.12 and that definitely doesnt support Upnp.
So bottom line is , if you've got plenty of time and inclination and a 2700HGV with 5.29.117.6 then it might ( just might ) be possible to tweak it with uPnp.
PS Dont know about the Singtel firmware 5.29.117.3, that might support uPnp , I've never tried it, But there again that has an 8db SNR target to start with...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jack21
Grafter

Update re Zyxel P-660HW-T1 : Having obtained one off Ebay, its been in and running for 24 hours. Tho its stats are somewhat more awkward to get than any other router so far, it has been extremely stable over that 24 hr cycle and has maintained 1184kbps (and an IP profile of 1000) consistently over 3 restarts by me thru that period - I've never seen it report any different figure at any time. Tho my target SNRM is 12, it consistently (straight from startup) reports its SNRM as 6, and a lower downstream power figure (14, rather than the usual 16-17). Unfortunately, I can't get routerstats or DMT to work with it, so I have no overall performance graph to compare. Tho it has a very comprehensive telnet CLI, I find that the snroffset command doesn't appear to have any effect (wan adsl snroffset x) so I'm unable to tweak the SNR. Because it seems to operate at SNRM 6, I'm beginning to wonder if the modem is set to operate at a pre-defined offset.
I'm astonished at the very, very low error rates it reports - they are lower than any other modem I've ever tried. At around 1200kbps, I'd expect several thousand FEC, several hundred CRC over 24 hours.....but there's less than 20 in total.
But in general, its sync rate is little different from the 2700HGV.....maybe a tooch less......I would think this to be a good contender for the long-line scenario.
My other surprise was with a BT Home Hub (the original white one); I'd reflashed it with an ST7G firmware set some time ago, and not seen any improvement over its usual mediocre sync rate (for me, 800kbps or so), but recently found it tweakable via DMT. Setting its SNRM to min gave sync rates of over 1600 - a bit like the ST585v6 - and with somewhat lower error rates. Unfortunately, after some time (a few hours), its performance became 'jerky' . I adjusted the SNRM so that it was syncing at around 1216,  but before I had chance to take it further, the Zyxel arrived.
Its wireless performance had seemed to be as good as the others, but I didn't go into it in depth.
Netgear DG834G V4 to be tried next.
jack21
Grafter

Ah, just found the utility zyxmon which gets the modem stats for the Zyxel P-660HW-T1 in an easier fashion.
http://zyxmon.streamclub.ru/downloade.php
jack21
Grafter

Update re my trials (!) with various routers on my 6km 68db line:
I've discovered where the jerkiness which the ST585V6 and ST7G (reflashed BT Home Hub) experienced as described above - it was down to the wireless connection between PC and router - a change of wireless channel, and a few movements of the USB adapter sorted that out. Both then performed MUCH better and gave me peak rates of around 1600kbps with not-too-high error rates.
The Netgear DG834GV4 was a disappointment - mediocre sync rate, and when SNRM-tweaked did not reach the ST rates - until I installed the DGTeam 0849 firmware......and WOW, what a difference. Much better sync rates (after modest SNRM-tweaking) (up to 1660) with low error rates, and the Routerstats graph of the SNRM was soooo smooth, it barely fluctuated by +/- 0.5db the whole day thru. Thoroughly recommended.
A subsequent try-out of a DG834GV3 , even with the DGTeam firmware installed, proved nowhere near the V4.....mind, it isn't SNRM-tweakable.
But the biggest surprise of all was when I tried a Billion Bipac 7300A (non-wireless); at first, it seemed pedestrian, but then I discovered some hidden pre-wired profiles, tried out the one called  'Maximum Line Rate', and was stunned by getting close on 2000kbps at modest error rates, and SNRM value around 6.5<>7.0
Thats been running for 8 hours with no problems - it seems like I'll plump for this one as my solution. Because its wireless, I've had to use an unwanted Belkin 7632 to act as my wireless router, and that works fine for that purpose.
So my top 3 are:
1. Billion Bipac 7300A (&Profile/SNRM-tweaked)
2. Netgear DG834G V4 with DGTeam 0849 firmware (&SNRM-tweaked)
3. ST585V6 with firmware 6.1.4.3 (&SNRM-tweaked)  -  make sure it isn't an Ex-AOL model; those are firmware-locked.
OK-performers:
1. BT Home Hub with ST7G firmware installed (&SNRM-tweaked)
2. BT 2700HGV
3. Zyxel P-660HW-T1
Not-so-hot:
1. Voyager 210
2. TG585V7
3. Belkin F5D7632
4. Netgear DG834G V3
5. Netgear DG834G V1
Now I'm off to put some of these back on Ebay - I'm swamped with routers!
jack21
Grafter

Sorry, final correction:
The Billion dropped connections when its SNRM sank below 5 during evening/night, but even so, still resync'd at a high rate (for me) around 1600 - at SNRM of 6.5. But I don't like drop-outs; I never know how the Exchange will react to them. So the Netgear DG834G V4 is the in-use favourite because of its fully-variable SNRM tweaking capability, very good sync rate and low error rates.
Back to the thread tho; my 2700HGV has been eclipsed  by the Netgear/ST/Zyxel/Billion because of their ability to have the SNRM lowered, and thus achieve a higher sync rate. I'm still unsure about how the 2700HGV would perform at those lower SNRM levels - but it can't itself be tweaked. In due course, once I've reestablished stability on my line,  I'll ask for my default target SNRM to be lowered and see how it does under those conditions.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Well done jack21, that's a lot of very interesting info that I'm sure a lot of users with long lines will find useful. Smiley
grudkin
Grafter

Quote from: jack21
Update re my trials (!) with various routers on my 6km 68db line:
The Netgear DG834GV4 was a disappointment - mediocre sync rate, and when SNRM-tweaked did not reach the ST rates - until I installed the DGTeam 0849 firmware......and WOW, what a difference. Much better sync rates (after modest SNRM-tweaking) (up to 1660) with low error rates, and the Routerstats graph of the SNRM was soooo smooth, it barely fluctuated by +/- 0.5db the whole day thru. Thoroughly recommended.
A subsequent try-out of a DG834GV3 , even with the DGTeam firmware installed, proved nowhere near the V4.....mind, it isn't SNRM-tweakable.

Have you thought of trying the NETGEAR DG834GT? It's fully supported by DGTeam firmware and from what I have read it is an excelent router on longer lines!