cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Random DSL drop outs

Sheers

Random DSL drop outs

For the past 2 months now my DSL line drops out too often. I can be online for a couple of hours with no problem, then the DSL will drop out and fail to reconnect 3-4 times in a row. Then it will reconnect for about 10 minutes before dropping out again. This has been happening virtually everyday and is now testing my paitence. I've done all the troubleshooting steps and I have a pretty good I.T knowledge, so I'm pretty sure I've done all I can.
Has anyone else had this problem or could give me any useful information? Thanks in advance.
7 REPLIES 7
MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

Re: Random DSL drop outs

Yup.  This is a common symptom, but unfortunately the Root Cause can be one of any number of things.  Tracking the one that is affecting your particular performance  problem can be a protracted investigation.
The Broadband fault checker tries many of the known BT line problems, but cannot be expected to investigate some of the problems.
E.g.
- Faulty internal wiring after the NTE5
- Locally generated RFI  e.g. Radio ham
- Faulty Router  (Yup, it can give these symtoms) I had a Netgear show just this problem
- Proximity of Router to failing power supply in other piece of equipment

There are a number of threads which will give you some guidance on resolving the problem, but it is unlikely to be the Fault Checker, so I perceive limited value in the poll.
Maurice

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Not forgetting the possibility of a faulty filter.
This really isn't feedback, perhaps a mod could move this to Community Support.
@Sheers
When you use your phone whilst all this is happening, can you hear any crackling or other intermittent noises on the line?
Denzil
Grafter

Can you also tell us the line statistics from your router (attenuation, noise margin, sync rate etc)? Can you also describe your internal wiring e.g. wired or wireless, router close to BT master socket or on an extension etc. It can be very difficult to diagnose intermittent disconnections, but that might help to work out what is happening.
Bonzo

I have just connected to Plusnet and had similar problems. I came from the 'sister' company metronet and never had any connection difficulties, so I was suprised with the problems that I had. Having checked all the usual things including line tests etc, I disconnected an extension from the master socket to see if that improved the situation and although he phone on that line worked fine, the broadband connection picked up immediately and has been perfect  for the last 3 days. Needless to say I have detached the extension line from the box which must have had an undiagnosed fault on it .
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Welcome to Plusnet and our Forums
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: Bonzo
I have just connected to Plusnet and had similar problems. I came from the 'sister' company metronet and never had any connection difficulties, so I was suprised with the problems that I had. Having checked all the usual things including line tests etc, I disconnected an extension from the master socket to see if that improved the situation and although he phone on that line worked fine, the broadband connection picked up immediately and has been perfect  for the last 3 days. Needless to say I have detached the extension line from the box which must have had an undiagnosed fault on it .

Was the phone on the extension filtered?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Kevster
Dabbler

Allot of the time, extension leads and sometimes even higher quality ones cause intermittent connections and in turn then speed issues, these all too easy get over looked but can easily be replaced in most cases with an longer Ethernet Cable (CAT 5 or 6 if your posh) so the router is direct plugged to the master socket.  8).