cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

wireless conection

dingus01

wireless conection

can anyboby please tell me why my laptop will only stay connected to my thompson router for about a week, before i have to reset the bloody  thing, router that is, can't blame laptop as it was connected to a bt home hub for last 18 months with no wireless connetion probs,only way for connection stabilaty is to connect to my neibours unsecured wireless box, but ps3 won't connect wireless as well ,have to have that wired, yes wep codes are correct. 
2 REPLIES 2
Denzil
Grafter

Re: wireless conection

Do you really mean WEP? You should really be using WPA, as it is much more secure. WEP is outdated now and can be cracked in minutes.
You could try installing <a href="http://www.netstumbler.com/downloads/">Netstumbler</a>, which is a tool for diagnosing wifi issues. it could be that this router is using the same channel as your neighbour, for instance, and the two are affecting each other. Changing to a different channel might help.
Do the router's logs reveal anything? Is the disconnection happening at the same time of day, for example?
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Re: wireless conection

Do you get a decent wireless signal strength?
If you are you are using Windows, it will show the relative strengths of wireless access points near you.
Actually, I found that WPA was slightly more sensitive than WEP to weak wireless signals.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."