cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

forum redesign

mitch
Dabbler

forum redesign

I've been working on implementing some improvements to the readability of the forums. Anyone interested in giving some feedback, could you take a look at the first two concepts below and make your comments?
i'll be working on these throughout the rest of the day so i'll take your comments on board as im developing the concepts further.
thanks in advance.
p.s remember these are graphical concepts, for you to get an idea of the style. so please ignore the content used for posts and forums etc.
86 REPLIES 86
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: forum redesign

They both still have icons washed out colours and I would avoid using the darker grey background because of those users with poor eyesight.
I like the fine lines between the sections.
lingbob
Grafter

I really like the coloured buttons, particularly the blue ones, but some sort of definite division is needed in between each post. As it is now, each post appears to merge into the next.
Regards .....
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

Quote from: Oldjim
They both still have icons washed out colours

I'm not sure what you mean by that.  Which icons?  They all seem strong to me on my laptop screen?
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
Kelly
Hero

Quote from: lingbob
As it is now, each post appears to merge into the next.

Does the dark grey line and the lighter grey body of the post not separate it enough?  The separation looks very clear to me.
Kelly Dorset
lingbob
Grafter

No it doesn't  Smiley
My own personal opinion is that there needs to be a slightly bigger contrast between the background colours and the border needs to go all the way around each post. I feel that if there was a thin border at each end of each post, that would make a tremendous difference.
Regards .....
Penny
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 8

Quote from: mitch
could you take a look at the first two concepts below and make your comments?

I like the strong-colour buttons (graphic 2).  I realise the "split" button would only be seen by a mod, so would it be possible to have a "reply" button on each individual post also?
Regards,
Penny.
Penny Rollo * * * joined Force9 on 17/02/98 * * * with PlusNet from 2000 onwards * * * personal website at pennymidasrollo.plus.com
Project HappyChild website (free educational resources for kids and schools, plus directory of charities helping children) 1998 onwards
Superusers are not PlusNet staff but do have a direct line of communication into the business to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the Community.
mitch
Dabbler

thats right, a normal user would now only see reply and quote, as in the new concept below.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Quote from: Kelly
They both still have icons washed out colours

I'm not sure what you mean by that.  Which icons?  They all seem strong to me on my laptop screen?
I was looking at the new posts/no new posts buttons but looking again that may be the graphic as opposed to the original
Just did another check and it's my monitor - I have the contrast and brightness turned down  Embarrassed
Kelly
Hero

Doh!
So, you current feeling right now with that design is?
Kelly Dorset
Oldjim
Resting Legend

As I am running the present layout modified so that the column fills the screen I don't have too many problems with the old layout (when I put my monitor back to default settings) except that the white background is a bit overpowering - I have modified Firefox to show the column at 100%.
Just had a look at it in IE7 and then the white within the column is fine but there is an enormous background in white (monitor running at 1680 x 1050).
If the forum is to be modified to show the column at full width I would prefer a muted colour as the background and if it isn't can you add the code to the style sheet to make the whole background a soft muted colour.
With respect to the buttons for reply etc. I find them a bit overpowering.
Are you intending to modify the whole reply logic so that a reply is to a specific post as opposed to the thread as in TBB because that isn't how it works at the moment.
mitch
Dabbler

Are you intending to modify the whole reply logic so that a reply is to a specific post as opposed to the thread as in TBB because that isn't how it works at the moment.

no the concept is purely design adding extra functionality, by cloning the reply button on every post to reply to the topic. rather than quoting/replying to individual posts.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

The page background is a huge improvement. But having the white background on alternate posts which is the same as the main table background makes the posts in the dark rows appear to be contained within the light rows. If the light rows had a pale background with the side margins staying white that would be improved. (See the middle post from Liam in http://www.elvin.plus.com/misc/Suggestion.gif to see what I mean).
I also think the new posts/no new posts look rather washed out - particularly in contrast with the buttons.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Oldjim
Resting Legend

OK Mitch - understood. In which case I think the buttons should be a lot less obtrusive. if you look at the usergroup forums I find those buttons very clear and obvious with hitting me in the eye.
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Another vote!
We need new alternative themes as soon as possible
The colour is problematic for me I am Dyslexic
Can you have the text on top of the buttons, in sted of the text tag, a number of text readers can not read tags.    Cheesy