cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just Wondered

valart
Grafter

Just Wondered

I just wondered if anyone can tell me what it is like to have really fast broadband do the web pages jump out at you I have never had that pleasure my download speed is 5mb on a good day and the upload speed is 0.7mb,I was told it is something to do with the distance away from the exchange,I know I can try fibre but it is too expensive being a pensioner and having a engineer messing about is not for me.At least I have no dropped connections and the speed is bearable and it just about right for me
10 REPLIES 10
AndyH
Grafter

Re: Just Wondered

I went from 2Mb to 100Mb broadband, there was an instant difference. Pages like bbc.co.uk are virtually instantaneous, but the biggest difference is downloads etc.
Not trying to convince you to get fibre...but how much do you pay at the moment for line rental and broadband? Do you pay PN for line rental?
valart
Grafter

My monthly bill is around £32 which includes my phone and 60gb allowance in which I use about 12gb a month.
AndyH
Grafter

Unlimited fibre is £19.99 on an 18 month contract, but it's currently £9.99 for the first 6 months as a special offer.
The line rental is £13.99 a month (but £10.49 a month for 12 months if you pay in advance). This includes evening/weekend calls.
So it's virtually the same as what you pay now - but if you take into account the 6 months half price broadband + possible cash back, it's probably a little bit cheaper for you. Do you have a different call package other than free calls evening/weekends?
If you go here https://www.dslchecker.bt.com/pls/adsl/adslchecker.welcome it will give you an idea of you fibre speed / also the PN site should do this.
AndyH
Grafter

I make it £28.98 per month for fibre + telephone for 12 months (the fibre is an 18 month package however).
There's also a possible £38.38 cashback through TCB (not 100% sure if existing customers get this...), which would give you a possible total saving of £74.62 over 12 months (if my maths is right!)
npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

Quote from: valart
I just wondered if anyone can tell me what it is like to have really fast broadband do the web pages jump out at you

I've changed from O2 broadband with a 4mbps sync to Plusnet fibre with a sync speed of 22 mbps.
I find little difference in browsing speed, if anything the O2 connection was a tad snappier.
The big difference is downloading large files, Smiley that and iplayer now  able to stream HD.
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

I must admit that web pages don't seem any faster on my fibre connection. but that ability to download a new distro (Linux release) in a few MIN rather than all day is nice.
But for me the price was the same so why not. Cheesy
DaveyH
Champion
Fixes: 12

Little/no difference in browsing, and didn't, expect there to be (going from a 6 to 76 Meg connection) but downloads are much faster obviously, and we now have the ability for us all to be downloading, streaming, using VoIP, gaming etc etc simultaneously on numerous devices...
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Hi valart,
Fibre would definitely see a big increase in speeds, it will depend on the time you sign-up for this on the price difference. Keep an eye for any offers that may help you.
I've noticed that your current speed of around 5Mb/s is short of your estimate, could you connect into your test socket and we can see if there is any difference.
Chris
valart
Grafter

My router is connected to the main socket I did this about 5 months ago and it solved all my disconnections because I think the wiring was at fault,my speed as always been 5M/b I am some distant from the exchange so I have been told in the past I dread having to wait on the engineer to install fibre really it is bearable I have no problems watching Iplayer being a pensioner I have to watch the pennies so it might work out more after looking at the recent replies I suppose sometimes when it comes to downloading it might take a time but other times it is quiet fast.
picbits
Rising Star

As above, unless it's a web page with lots of pictures there isn't a huge lot of difference while generally browsing.
You do notice the difference though when your stepson is watching stuff on Youtube, your wife is on Facebook watching video and you're downloading stuff while browsing.
I went from a 5-6Mb connection to around a 70Mb connection when I moved to FTTC and haven't regretted it Smiley
Things like BBC iPlayer are a lot quicker as is HD streaming and jumping about through different parts of the video.