Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setting Java in Plusnet Webmail?

TonyV
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

Setting Java in Plusnet Webmail?

I have been having problems with seeing my mail in the Webmail page, and this afternoon whilst messing around, I noticed that if I got rid of the Java check boxes in Safari, the e mail messages appeared to be lost. Whilst playing around with this possible change, a set up page came up which is something I have not seen before, but the upshot is that in this new page, which was white with grey text with setting options, in there was a box to disable the Java requirement. I unchecked that to see if that would have any effect. There didn't seem to be any effect, but now I cannot find that setting page at all. Any one any idea how to get it back up again so that I can ensure that the Java settings are checked? I am using an iMAC with Mountain Lion and Safari 6.0.2.
Thanks
TonyV
6 REPLIES 6
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: Setting Java in Plusnet Webmail?

Not sure if it helps at all but I re-installed Windows 7 this morning and have NOT installed Java, Plusnet Webmail appears completely normal.
Can you completely uninstall Java (given the recent security issues this might not be such a bad thing) and see how it behaves?
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
TonyV
Dabbler

W23
I have moved this to the e mail Forum, so will look there for responses. I have to say though, I am using an iMAC not a Windows machine! And all I really want isntotry and find the page that came up some how, I know not how, and just check it again to make sure everything is as it should be.
Cheers
TonyV
RPMozley
Pro
Fixes: 13

Java is not used with the PlusNet webmail but however JavaScript is. These two are not the same even though they have a similar name.
As to this settings window that popped up, I'm not entirely sure what it is from your description of it.
The settings for Safari are accessed via two ways 1) From the Safari menu select "Preferences..." 2) Press and hold cmd (Apple key) and press "," (comma key). Then in the preferences window click the padlock icon to get to the pane with Java and JavaScript enable/disable check boxes.
That's RPM to you!!
TonyV
Dabbler

RPMozley
Thanks for coming back. Yes, I knew how to get to the Safari Preferences and change it there, but I got the impression that the window/page that came up was linked to the Plusnet Webmail page because that was where I was when the offending page came up! It was almost as though I had clicked on something by mistake. But the best description I can give was it was large page, almost full screen depth, white, and a series of grey colour options of which unchecking 2 Java elements were some. Presumably Java and Java Script.
At the moment, the mail seems to be working OK, but I would like to get back to that page and revert to what it was! I have to say, it is not life threatening, but would be nice to know where on earth it came from. It certainly wasn't anything like the Preferences element that comes in the Webmail system.
Cheers
TonyV
RPMozley
Pro
Fixes: 13

What Safari extensions, if any, have you got installed? Settings might possibly be for an extension.
That's RPM to you!!
TonyV
Dabbler

RPMozley
The only extension I have is Adblock, and there is no setting page on that that looks at all like the one I saw!
TonyV