cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

slooooooooooooooooooooooooooow

whistler
Grafter

slooooooooooooooooooooooooooow

An all time low here - broadband is just about unusable - according to Broadband Speed Checker I'm getting download of around 0.1 Mb/s (upload's actually very slightly faster!!!). Things have been slow for a few days but now it's just about ground to a halt. Been trying to get on the forum since this morning but it just timed out until now. Doesn't seem to be any issue recorded on the service page (that took an age to get to). Anyone know of any reported issues?
Ta
57 REPLIES 57
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Re: slooooooooooooooooooooooooooow

Hi whistler,
I've checked your line and it had a re-sync this morning and synced at a lower speed. I have adjusted your profile so hopefully now you will see an increase in your speed.
Not to sure why it would of been for a few days though?Huh
Let me know how your getting on with it.
Chris
whistler
Grafter

Perhaps the re-sync you refer to was me power cycling the router this morning in a (vain) attempt to speed things up. It was extremely slow BEFORE I power cycled the router and no discernable difference afterwards so I feel that may be a red herring. Do you have any idea why performance should be so bad? and why should my profile need adjusting? i.e. what's changed recently to require such an adjustment? A shift from a "usual" 4Mb/s to 0.1Mb/s is pretty dramatic!
Ta
whistler
Grafter

ok so here we are at 20:40 and speed has "improved" to 0.2Mb/s. WTF - this is unacceptable!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Please give me an explanation.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

It sounds like a fault, have you reported this to our faults team? You can do so by giving us a call or visiting faults.plus.net
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
whistler
Grafter

Quote from: chrispurvey
I have adjusted your profile so hopefully now you will see an increase in your speed.

Chris - after being similarly poor all day yesterday at a pretty consistant 0.2Mb/s it now appears today to have suddenly clunked back into place and I've been getting a pretty constant 3.5Mb/s. Would you be so kind as to put my profile back to how it was please as now that whatever the problem was seems to have gone I'm hoping I could get back to the 4.0Mb/s I've enjoyed for the last couple of years or so. Thanks.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

What does the BT speedtest give and what are the speeds/noise margin/attenuation reported by your router
whistler
Grafter

BT speedtester gives...
download 3.67 Mb/s
upload 0.38 Mb/s
router gives...
data rate: downstream 4736 Kb/s upstream 448 Kb/s
noise margin: downstream 11 dB upstream 21 dB
attenuation: downstream 32 dB upstream 36 dB
whistler
Grafter

OK - been away for a couple of weeks but see my thread has died in the meantime.
Back a few posts Chris says he "adjusted my profile". Could someone please explain what this means exactly?
The reason I'm asking is that prior to whatever the fault was (it seems now to have gone away) I was getting a pretty consistant 4Mb/s for several years and now I'm getting a pretty consistant 3.6Mb/s.
It would appear that whatever the fault was it was NOT down to or corrected by adjusting my profile. My request for my profile to be put back to where it was (whatever that means) appears to have fallen on deaf ears.
I know a difference of 0.4Mb/s isn't massive but it seems to me that if I can have 4 rather thn 3.6 then I might as well have it.
Thanks
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

With only 32dB of downstream attenuation your router should be syncing much faster than 4736kbps.  So you just changed from being faulty for several years to slightly more faulty recently.  If you want to get to the bottom of it then it may require quite a lot of effort on your part.  You would begin by connecting your router to the test socket underneath the faceplate of your master socket and seeing if that changes the data rate reported by your router.. 
Gus
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Did your monthly billing date happen to be last weekend? Check that your monthly bill is showing the correct date as the usage was bugged for anyone billed over the weekend and might have been stuck and triggered the capped speed.  Might be your account was missed during the fix.
FTTP 500 regrade from Tues 28th November
whistler
Grafter

thanks both for your interest.
@ReedRichards - I've done as you suggest and at the test socket it's exactly the same at 3.6Mb/s.
@Gus - As I said above I've been away for two weeks (not using the system) so I don't think the billing cockup is the issue - also my bill date is today.
Thanks
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Quote from: whistler
@ReedRichards - I've done as you suggest and at the test socket it's exactly the same at 3.6Mb/s.

No, 3.6 Mb/s is your download speed and that won't change immediately if you connect to the test socket.  What might change immediately is your sync rate and that is what you need to check.  It was 4736 kb/s a few posts back.   
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

I've checked your line sync and that is currently at 4.8MB/s, this means your speed profile is set at 4MB/s. Everything appears to be OK on your line.
Are you connecting via wireless or a wired connection?
whistler
Grafter

Quote from: ReedRichards
No, 3.6 Mb/s is your download speed and that won't change immediately if you connect to the test socket.  What might change immediately is your sync rate and that is what you need to check.  It was 4736 kb/s a few posts back.   

OK - data rate, download speed, sync rate - sod's law said I'd do the wrong one.  Cheesy I'll re-do tomorrow and get back.
I've checked your line sync and that is currently at 4.8MB/s, this means your speed profile is set at 4MB/s. Everything appears to be OK on your line.

OK but I don't understand why you seem to be suggesting all is well when I've dropped from 4Mb/s to 3.6Mb/s. This is all I've really being trying to get to the bottom of since post #5.
Are you connecting via wireless or a wired connection?

If you mean generally - then both - PC wired - laptop wireless. If you mean for the test from the main socket suggested by ReedRichards then wired.
Thanks