cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT adds 114 new exchanges to FTTC and up to 80Mbps next year

Picnic
Grafter

Re: BT adds 114 new exchanges to FTTC and up to 80Mbps next year

I hope that list is wrong, although I'm sure it won't be, as my exchange is not listed either Sad
the_norris
Grafter

I hope that is wrong too - my exchange Nuneaton is not there,  Get the full 40/10 at the moment (sync) - data rate is a steady 38 down and 8.5 up.
Phil
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 4

Hi,
I'll be sending tickets out later today to those that will be able to take part in the initial 80Mbps trial. Unfortunately there aren't many as there are only about 80 exchanges (the list on IDnetters is correct). All of the remaining FTTC enabled exchanges are due to be enabled during the trial so if your exchange isn't on that list or you don't hear from me then we'll let you know how to take part in the 2nd phase of the trial around February/March time.
Dave Tomlinson
Enterprise Architect - Network & OSS
Plusnet Technology
ctech500
Grafter

that's me out the running then Sad
weejake1
Grafter

Quote from: dave
Hi,
We'll be publishing the details of the 80Mbps trial at the beginning of next month. It's too late now for anyone else to take part in the January trial unfortunately but we will be opening the trial up to more people in February.
I'll send tickets to the people that have been selected for the January trial after the holidays. We have limited exchange coverage in January so unfortunately not everyone that has applied so far will be able to take part in January. The rest of the exchanges are due to be added in February. If you don't receive a ticket from me then unfortunately your exchange isn't being included in January.

The rest of the exchanges are due to be added in February.
does this mean all fttc exchanges?
i am in northern ireland 80% of homes here are fttc enabled yet this trial is not open here...
do you know when this will change?
many thanks
WWWombat
Grafter

I didn't request to go on the original trial, as I knew we were moving house.
The new FTTC connection has gone in this morning, with the JDSU reporting a maximum capability of 85Mbps down and 25Mbps up (at a distance of around 400-450 metres).
So, if & when the next phase of the trial comes up, and when the new exchange gets added to the list, can we be considered for inclusion?
Plusnet Customer
Using FTTC since 2011. Currently on 80/20 Unlimited Fibre Extra.
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

weejake1 - to my knowledge it's every exchange that has FTTC including the ones in Northern Ireland so you should be able to take part next month
WWWombat - at the moment the only lines we can place are the ones that pre-registered because Openreach have had to check each one in advance of the trial. This changes in a few weeks when the rest of the exchanges are enabled and as per my post in the other thread we'll open the trial up to anyone that wants to take part and post details nearer the time with details of how to take part and any costs.
Dave Tomlinson
Plusnet Technology
w23
Pro

Quote from: dave
post details nearer the time with details of how to take part and any costs.

(my bold)
Costs?  for a trial??  Huh
Are those on phase 1 paying to test BTs systems?  If there's a phase 2 for those who missed out on the phase 1 'lottery' is it in any way justified to treat those customers differently?
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Stage 2 trial will be where they know the service will work but they accept that some of the processes around the service may need ironing out. I don't think it's unreasonable to get people to pay, after all what's the point of trialling it with just free-loaders and not the type of person who is likely to actually pay for the service when it's fully launched?
In any case nobody is forcing you to go on the trial - if the terms, conditions or price don't suit you just don't take part.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
w23
Pro

I was just really questioning the inconsistency between those lucky enough to have had their exchange among the 'chosen few' and others who are equally willing to provide sensible, meaningful feedback who have a working FTTC service with 17c but happen to live in the wrong place.
Do you then class (some of) those on phase 1 as 'Freeloaders', or those lucky enough to continue to benefit from 40/10 because they were in the right place at the right time to get on the original FTTC trial (at a time when the technology was arguably sufficiently proven).
Yes, I admit the grapes are sour!
I just don't recall any previous PlusNet trial incurring charges.   If you pay for the service then, presumably, you are not trialing it.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
WWWombat
Grafter

The FTTC trial had a free phase and a paid phase. BT delays in getting my cabinet working meant I missed the first, but not the second.
I won't mention the fact that the live service was cheaper than the paid component of the trial Huh
Plusnet Customer
Using FTTC since 2011. Currently on 80/20 Unlimited Fibre Extra.
digital
Grafter

Just to repeat my offer in the 80/20 thread: I was on the original FTTC trial and am currently getting ~35Mbps. I'd be up for inclusion in the 80/20 trial.
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

We've not made the decisions yet on what (if anything) to charge, so I'd rather be upfront and say there may be a charge in phase 2 and after the trial than not mention that possibility. The aim of the first phase of the trial is of a technical nature, make sure it works, see what speeds people get, see what different routers do, make sure the processes work etc. The second phase will be a commercial nature to test out our upgrade processes and actually selling it. As WWWombat says we did that for FTTC last year and will shortly be doing something similar for FTTP.
The good news is that we have a few more spaces open for phase 1, these are the exchanges that are available:
Acton
Arkwright
Arrowebrook
Ashford
Aycliffe
Balham
Banbury
Basford
Bath Kingsmead
Beaconsfield
Beckenham
Bedford
Beulah Hill
Bishopsgate
Boreham
Bridgend
Burnham
Burntwood
Bushey Heath
Chepstow
Chesham
Chesterfield
Colindale
Dronfield
Dulwich
East Grinstead
Edgware
Egham
Enfield
Evesham
Farnborough Hants
Feltham
Fernhill Heath
Gants Hill
Garforth
Gosforth Unit A
Grove Park
Guildford
Hackney
Hampstead
Hayes Common
Headington
Hengoed
Ilford North
Kingsbury
Kingston
Kneller Hall
Lee Green
Leighton Buzzard
Llantrisant
Lofthouse Gate
Loughborough
Lower Holloway
Maidstone
Mill Hill
Molesey
Mosborough
Newbury
North Wembley
Palmers Green
Preston
Primrose Hill
Purley
Rayleigh
Reading Central
Rugby
Rushden
Rushey Green
Sale
Shenley Church End
South Kensington
Southport
St Neots
St Peters
Stevenage
Stockton Heath
Stratford On Avon
Swadlincote
Teddington
Tile Hill
Tunbridge Wells
Uckfield
Widnes
Willaston
Winchester
Wolverton
The Ts & Cs for the trial are here:
http://community.plus.net/fttc_80_terms
If you're on one of these exchanges, already have FTTC and the BT availability checker says you can get a minimum of 15Mbps down and 5Mbps up then please reply here and I'll send you an invite ticket out:
http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome
There's no engineer appointment needed but I need to send them in to BT before I place the orders for them to check them first.
Dave Tomlinson
Plusnet Technology
w23
Pro

However many times I look at that list, Weston Favell exchange still doesn't appear  Cry
Now have to be patient for the phase 2 announcement.
Call me 'w23'
matt_2k34
Grafter

More than happy with a small cost increase for double bubble (even sweeter if it doubles the bandwidth allowance  ;))
Swadlincote is listed, So would be very grateful to join - Thanks Dave, unless BT is the issue with the line Smiley
Acc Matt2k34 - this is different to the one listed against my forum account.
Regards Smiley

edit: worth noting my setup is the standard BTo modem, and a Billion BiPac 7800N.