cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Low IP Profile and slow connection problem again!

clwveats
Dabbler

Low IP Profile and slow connection problem again!

Hi, I've been experiencing a very slow connection to my plusnet broadband for the last 7 days and after doing some tests I have found the following results:
THOMSON TG585 v7
Link Information
Uptime: 0 days, 0:31:40
DSL Type: G.992.1 annex A
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 448 / 7,616
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/kB]: 0.00 / 0.00
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.0 / 17.5
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 7.5 / 15.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 24.0 / 14.5
Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / TSTC
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0
Results from http://www.speedtester.bt.com/
Download speedachieved during the test was - 1356 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 400-2000 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :7616 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 1500 Kbps
Plusnet Current line speed:
6 Mb
Can someone please tell me how to go about getting my IP Profile raised to be in line with my Plusnet line speed. I have tried restarting my router, checking all the micro filters on my line, detaching my sky boxes and telephone connections and nothing has helped to raise the profile. Any advice you can give me would be really useful.
Thanks.
35 REPLIES 35
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Low IP Profile and slow connection problem again!

Hi clwveats,
I'll take a look into this and get back to you.
Jojo Smiley
clwveats
Dabbler

Hi Jojo,
I had a similar problem back in May (see my previous posts) but changing the micro filter on my sky+ box sped up my connection almost instantly and reduced the number of errors. Since then the connection has been ok up until about a week ago when I started getting a lot of disconnections (see your records) and a significant reduction in the speed of connection. Over the weekend I did a speed test and saw my IP Profile had been set at 1500 instead of the usual 6500 plus. I changed the filter on my sky+ box again on Monday and the connection was stable (but still slow) for just over 24 hours before I got disconnected again yesterday evening at around 7:30pm. Can you help me find out why I am getting disconnected so frequently at times and why my IP Profile has been set so low?
Thanks
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi clwveats,
I've been looking into this and the reason your profile is 1500 but higher on our side is that two different parts of the BT systems are reporting 2 different speeds. This is called a consistency fail. I've been in touch with our suppliers and they have applied the change, but said it can take 2 hours to apply.
Jojo Smiley
clwveats
Dabbler

Thanks Jojo, I'll check to see what my IP Profile and speed test results are in a couple of hours and post the results on here.
clwveats
Dabbler

I've just had a loss of connection and local framing for what appears to be 5 seconds (occured at roughly 5:03pm). The phone rang about a minute after the disconnection but this may just have been a coincidence? Here are the results from my router after the connection was established again.
Link Information
Uptime: 0 days, 0:03:42
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 448 / 7,616
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 24.0 / 14.0
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 6 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 1 / 0

Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 5 / 0
Are the results from my router reasonably healthy or are there any figures which stand out as being a problem?
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

can't see any issues there. Just need to see what happens when the changes they made take effect. Smiley
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi clwveats,
I've checked this morning and it's still the same. I'm working on how to get this resolved for so leave it with me for a bit and I'll let you know what I manage to do.
Jojo Smiley
clwveats
Dabbler

Hi Jojo, yeah I've not seen any change my end. I did a speed test this morning and these are the results from just after 9:00am:
Download speedachieved during the test was - 1382 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 400-2000 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :7616 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 1500 Kbps
Shortly afterwards I had another loss of signal, the first for about 16 hours. Results from my router were:
Link Information
Uptime: 0 days, 0:21:28
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 448 / 8,128
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 24.0 / 12.5
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 18 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 2 / 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 6 / 0
My Plusnet current line speed is showing as 6.5 Mb at the moment, so is the problem being caused by BT or Plusnet? If you could keep me updated with the progress in dealing with my complaint I would appreciate it.
Thanks
sjrinfroyle
Grafter

Your IP profile is only 1500 which is why you aren't getting near your sync speed. This would indicate that the router is disconnecting in the night causing your IP profile to decrease. Then, in the morning, the connection has gone back up. The PlusNet profile will match the BT IP profile within 12 hours.
What you need to do is find any sources of interference that happen in the night. Ask one of the staff members for a connection graph and then you can see when it's disconnecting.
Just my two cents.
cornwallsurfer
Grafter

Well my consistency fail has been ongoing for weeks. The last I heard  from plusnet faults was that it would take 72 hours to be corrected so not sure where the 2 hours on this thread comes from?
Needless to say 72 hours later I still have a consistency fail!
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Quote from: cornwallsurfer
not sure where the 2 hours on this thread comes from?

When I was onto our suppliers, they processed a change which they said could take 2 hours. That change didn't make any difference, so I'm still working on it.
Jojo Smiley
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Quote from: sjrinfroyle
What you need to do is find any sources of interference that happen in the night. Ask one of the staff members for a connection graph and then you can see when it's disconnecting.

No, it's nothing to do with that. As I explained earlier, one of the systems is showing the correct profile and another isn't. We are just aiming to get that corrected.
Quote from: Joanne
I've been looking into this and the reason your profile is 1500 but higher on our side is that two different parts of the BT systems are reporting 2 different speeds. This is called a consistency fail. I've been in touch with our suppliers and they have applied the change, but said it can take 2 hours to apply.
clwveats
Dabbler

I've been out most of the day but come home to find that nothing has changed, still got a profile of 1500. My router had another loss of signal at around 10:06am this morning. Is there any way of finding out if these losses of signal are down to an error with Plusnet / BT or with interference issues in my home? As far as I can tell all my sky boxes are filtered correctly and I am getting a clear line signal on my telephone.
[Edit] - Has there been any news on getting this sorted out?
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

It's not to do with any dropping connections. It's to do with the profile being mismatched on our supplier's systems. I have been onto them twice today and I am still waiting for updates that they made to take place. If this isn't resolved tomorrow I'm going to look to have to get this escalated. Really sorry it's taking so long.
Jojo Smiley