Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I am really cheesed of with the IP profile system

billnotben
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Re: I am really cheesed of with the IP profile system

Quote from: billnotben
I'm not complaining about the speed, 3meg works for me, but it would be nice if the collars and cuffs matched.

By that I sincerely wished for it to match at the 3000 plus end not at the 2000 where it seems to have moved back to now.
If you're still in a helpful mood Joanne how about kicking my banding into touch. I see no reason why it should remain.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi billnotben,
I've replied to your original thread.
Jojo Smiley
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

How about getting Bob to explain this http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/plusnet/t/4000508-re-ip-profile-question.html
   In reply to a post by jelv:
   I believe there is some sort of DLM trial going on that may mean some users see other speeds for their IP Profile.
Yep, aka 'bRAS Quantification'. I think it's being applied to around 40% of our circuits at present. '.
as putting 'bRAS Quantification' into Google doesn't help at all
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Jim,
bRAS quantification is a change to the way BT assign IP profiles and is currrently applied to about about 40% of the ADSL2+ MSANs.
bRAS quantification will assign the proilfe a lot closer to the sync speed than at present and the profile will be applied instantly after a sync event, so no more waiting 72 hours for the DLM to pick up the new sync speed. As yet it's not fully implemented but believe it will be fully rolled out around August.
Jojo Smiley
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Since I am apparently one of the 40% because or the funny IP profile it appears to be 21CN not ADSL2
Also how about putting me on the Plusnet trial (which I don't know about  :-X) to match it  exactly
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI Jim,
It's not a trial in that respect it's just something that's been rolled out gradually.
Jojo Smiley
Oldjim
Resting Legend

In which case the Plusnet system is going to need a major overhaul as people won't be too chuffed at having to wait for up to 11 hours 55 minutes for an increase and then have it as less than the BT figure. This was the apparently non existent trial I was referring to  Grin
WWWombat
Grafter

aka 'bRAS Quantification'.

The word normally used for this kind of process is "quantisation", though even that still doesn't help in Google.
It is the mapping of a large set of numbers down to a small set, and is, for example, used during A-D conversions to translate voice->date for your phone calls, or for music->data for CDs.
The mapping BT use currently means that some unlucky people could be losing 1Mbps off their line speed, and the average loss for everyone on ADSL2+ over 8Mbps will be 0.5Mbps.
Plusnet Customer
Using FTTC since 2011. Currently on 80/20 Unlimited Fibre Extra.
billnotben
Community Veteran

Are you referring to the BT test figures where you no longer get a "proper" ip profile but an odd number instead?
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Yup
billnotben
Community Veteran

Had that for a few weeks. Did wonder what it was all about. The first time it appeared I got a higher that usual download speed which seemed to agree with the odd bit extra.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

I really like this new system.
Sync increased to 4832kbps from 4384kbps at 10.10 this morning and just checked - my IP profile is 4262kbps (Plusnet version 4000kbps) result 4442kbps from BT test
billnotben
Community Veteran

You have to wonder why the change?
If can't be customer pressure because any internet search will show complaints going back many years.
Must be something cheap, technical, and saving BT lots of money. Smiley
Luzern
Hero
Fixes: 9

@Old Jim
Has your margin reduced like mine has?
No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
CX
Grafter

These changes sound great, in particular the immediate IP profile updates. This will make experimenting with different routers, settings and filters far less painful, even if Plusnet continue with their current system (although I hope it could be changed somehow - perhaps keep the current delayed update for everybody but add a manual reset option to force the PN profile to sync with BTs?)
I have two questions:
1) Will every exchange get this, or is it dependent upon the equipment in use within it?
2) Does the entire range of IP profiles get the additional steps (i.e. all the way from 512kb up to 24Mb) or just select ones? Although I'm sure people with a 10Mb+ connection are going to appreciate not losing 0.5Mb, when you get to the lower end (2Mb and below), even 0.1Mb extra would be welcomed.