cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VPN using TG585v7 Router

ncalow
Dabbler

VPN using TG585v7 Router

I'm having problems making an outgoing VPN connection using a new Plusnet supplied TG585v7 router.  The VPN I'm trying to make is a PPTP to a Windows server and the connection fails to validate logon credentials.  This worked with no problems with my previous hardware Speedtouch 716.  I've retested it with the 716 so I can be sure that the problem lies with the TG585.
I've tried the obvious things like turning off the firewall, and adding firewall exceptions in the web interface of the router.
My suspicion is that the Protocol 47 (GRE) is not enabled, but I've spent the last 2 hours trawling through the CLI manual and using the telnet interface without luck.  There also appears to be something strange with the CLI as PPTP does not appear in the 'connection applist' but I'm not sure why not.
Has anyone else successfully managed to get PPTP to work correctly with the TG585v7 hardware?
For reference the firmware version of the router is v8.2.23.0
5 REPLIES 5
ramidoodle
Grafter

Re: VPN using TG585v7 Router

Hi,
Please have a look at this library article
I'm not sure if v8.2.23.0 does support Point To Point Tunnelling Protocol based VPN connection, but this article confirms that there has been a problem with old Firmwares with regards to VPN connection setup. hope this help.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

From the library article
* The PPTP ALG was removed in the most recent version revision of the Plusnet Thomson firmware. If you received a router from us after November 2009 then there's a possibility that you will not be able to connect to PPTP-based VPN solutions (quite commonly provided by Microsoft). To fix this problem you can downgrade to version 7 of the firmware which *does* support PPTP.

@rami, Surely that confirms there is a problem with new firmware and not old firmwares.
@ncalow, I would say that from reading that library article you need to downgrade the firmware to Version 7.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

ncalow
Dabbler

Thanks for the help.
I downgraded the firmware to v7.x.x.x and the problem is now fixed.  Strange that they are shipping routers with a version of firmware that has this issue. I'm sure I won't be the last person to have this problem.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

does that mean that the title of this thread should be changed to V8?, if you dont know how go to your first item, modify and do it from there
ncalow
Dabbler

The v7 in TG585v7 refers to the hardware version of the router, not the firmware version.