cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I obtain IP address remotely?

eamoc
Dabbler

Can I obtain IP address remotely?

I have just purchased PlusNet Value Broadpand for my parent's house.  I live 90 miles away from them and after I do the initial set-up of their broadband I want to be able to access their wireless router from my own house so that I can check configurations, etc without having to go to their house.
I know that there is an option on most routers that will allow remote access but the problem will be that the IP address is dynamic and will change frequently.
I want to know if there is a way of obtaining the IP address without having to get my parents to login to their computer.
As I am the bill payer I will have access to the member page but as I'm not set-up totally yet I'm not sure if the IP address will be available on here - maybe someone can tell me.
If the address will not be available on the member pages can anyone think of an alternative?
Thanks
19 REPLIES 19
dvorak
Fixes: 1,484

Re: Can I obtain IP address remotely?

I can get mine from the portal, but I have a static IP.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

This kind of service is probably what you need. http://www.dyndns.com/services/dns/dyndns/
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
zubel
Community Veteran

As Strat says - a DynDNS service is likely going to be the best idea - some routers also support it by default (Netgears do, IIRC)
B.
eamoc
Dabbler

Thanks for the quick responses guys. 
It's great to know that I have an option.
One follow-on question I have about DynDNS (this may be one for their forum) - if I was to install the client software, that would keep the ip address up to date (as long as the laptop has been switched on of course!)..... But..... would the client software have the intelligence to NOT update the ip address if the laptop was utilising another wireless network (e.g. Starbuck, or a friend's home network)
  I'm sure there's an option to manually switch off the client but I'm thinking from the point of view that it will be my parent's using the laptop and I don't want them to have to remember something like this every time they're surfing on the move!!
Thanks again
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

I've never used a dynamic DNS service however I'd imagine that the IP will be updated irrespective of the network you're connected to if you're using the client software. Why, does this present a problem?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

paulh
Rising Star

if you use the client it will try and send the current IP to dyndns.
But if they have a router with the option to use dyndns you won't have to worry will you as it's the router's public IP you need
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

What client software?
I use dynDNS with a Netgear DG834.
1. You register with dynDNS and pick the domain name you want to use.
2. On the Netgear you enter the details shown in the attached.
Every time the Netgear connects a PPP session and is given a different IP address it contacts dynDNS to say "here I am".
Any PC in the world can now use the domain name you chose and will get your connection.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

If the router doesn't support dynamic DNS then you can download a software client to the machine to use instead.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Anonymous
Not applicable

If your router does not have the updater client capability, then you might want to look at http://www.dd-wrt.com and see if your router is supported by this alternative firmware that can add all sorts of interesting new features to your hardware.
The other place that might be worth trawling is http://www.opendns.com/, as they have every possible question about dynamic IP updating in their forums, FAQs, Support, etc.
If you can get the update you require to work with the OpenDNS enhanced features, then you get another layer of internet protection as a bonus - and it's free !
David_W
Rising Star

I remember when I first joined F9 we were given a hostname I guess, sort of like username.force9.net through RDNS, you had to ask to switch it to an IP based solution, so an rdns lookup will now show ip.address.force9.net (or .plus.net these days).  Is that no longer an option?  Would having it as username.plus.net always translate to the IP address of the router too?
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 397

@eamoc,
If you are going to be using the PlusNet supplied router ( TG585 ) then I believe that supports dynamic DNS. You might also find this http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php?topic=5643.0;prev_next=next useful regarding setting up remote access.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

eamoc
Dabbler

Thank-you all !
MisterW - Yes, I'll be using the Wireless Router supplied by PlusNet, I didn't see it on the list of compatible devices supported by DynDNS, so if you say that it is actually compatible then that is great news and will solve my problems.
The only reason I looked into installing software on their laptop is because I thought installing it on the router was not possible. I also posted this query on the DynDNS Forum and they confirmed what you guys are saying about the client software and recommend that the software shouldn't be put on a roaming computer....
http://dyndnscommunity.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=2818
Purliegh - thanks for this alternative.  I might consider this option for my own network as I've got a cheap unbranded Wireless Cable Router.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 397

I don't actually use a TG585 but according to the manual it does support it.
Procedure from the manual ( section 5.3 )
Proceed as follows:
1 Browse to the Thomson Gateway Web Interface.
2 On the Toolbox menu, click Dynamic DNS.
3 On the Location bar, click Configure.
4 Select the Enabled check box.
5 If necessary, select the broadband connection to which you want to assign the Dynamic DNS host name
in the Interface list.
6 Type the user name and password of your Dynamic DNS service account in the corresponding fields.
7 In the Service list, click the name of your Dynamic DNS service provider.
8 In the Host box, type the host name that you got from the Dynamic DNS service provider (for example
mywebpage.dyndns.org).
9 Click Apply.

Maybe someone who actually uses one will confirm my understanding, and also whether its possible to configure remote administration on the TG585.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Zap
Grafter

Quote from: eamoc
I have just purchased PlusNet Value Broadpand for my parent's house.  I live 90 miles away from them and after I do the initial set-up of their broadband I want to be able to access their wireless router from my own house so that I can check configurations, etc without having to go to their house.
I know that there is an option on most routers that will allow remote access but the problem will be that the IP address is dynamic and will change frequently.
I want to know if there is a way of obtaining the IP address without having to get my parents to login to their computer.
As I am the bill payer I will have access to the member page but as I'm not set-up totally yet I'm not sure if the IP address will be available on here - maybe someone can tell me.
If the address will not be available on the member pages can anyone think of an alternative?
Thanks

DynDNS  is probably the best option in the long term, but there are two other ways you can find the current IP address.
One if to have them send you an email and then to look at the message header of that email, the other is to run CMD from windows and then from the Command Box run trace route to their customer name, for example:
C:\Documents and Settings\USER>tracert cust01.plus.com
Tracing route to cust01.plus.com [80.229.136.1]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

You can press CTRL & C to terminate at this point.
In this example the plusnet customer name is cust01, of course if your router has a firewall it must be configured to allow traffic through if you are doing it, but remember it will be like repairing a rug you are standing on so if you reboot or make a change be careful of the impact.
If you were not on the basic package you coulf have used a VPN and connected them to your lan.  I don't know if this basic package prevents remote desktop connection traffic which would allow you to connect to their PC once you had authorised it on their PC (in the windows firewall).