cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Iplayer on Wii.

tonycollinet
Grafter

Iplayer on Wii.

We now have iplayer on the wii. During the day, it works fine. In the evening there is not enough bandwidth (message from iplayer)
However Iplayer on the PC at the same time in the evening is fine.
Is this another example of incorrect traffic management? (I am wondering if the Wii service uses different servers, or a different protocol which is not being correctly profiled)
I obviously can't use wireshark to find out what is happening.
124 REPLIES 124
scootie
Grafter

Re: Iplayer on Wii.

this is how i capture xbox traffic  with wireshark http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,81053.msg662436.html#msg662436
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Just tried iPlayer on a Wii and it does buffer a little.
I also have the facility on my PS3 which doesn't buffer but not having access to a parallel universe I can't do a direct comparison between the two.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
glloyd
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I tried it today and the picture quality is terrible. Looks like all the colour has been washed out of it.
Lurker
Grafter

The picture quality should be terrible - it uses a older version of Flash which produces a worse picture, with higher bandwidth consumption.
So, for comparable bandwidth, you should always get a better picture with the PC based one (not sure about the PS3 one)
Plus the PC version adjusts the stream to suit the available bandwidth.
Strat
Community Veteran

The PS3 rendering is far superior to the Wii attempt.
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Lurker
Grafter

I wonder if its better rendering of the old format that Wii uses, or whether it uses the up-to-date version that PC/Macs use?
Strat
Community Veteran

The BBC like it.
http://www.mcvuk.com/news/35705/BBC-praises-PS3-iPlayer-quality
http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/bbcinternet/2009/09/new_version_of_bbc_iplayer_for.html
deadkenny
Rising Star

Remember that for those of you with HD TVs, the Wii's iPlayer will still only be at 576p resolution at best (if you're using component cables). Whilst standard def Wii is that resolution anyway, a PC and I guess the PS3/Xbox may upscale far better than your TV might from a component input, not to mention component is an analogue connection.
Not knocking the Wii as I love it, being that I just prefer fun games over high definition complex shooters that take me too long to play :D. Just you have to understand the resolution limitation of the current Wii (though rumour is an HD Wii might turn up in the next year or two).
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Wii is actually 460p. Merlin didn't look too bad but top gear was awful on the Wii compared to the ps3.
didn't have any stuttering on either.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Strat
Community Veteran

What did you do Adie.....drug the rest of the household Wink Cheesy
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

[me=adiewoo]couldn't possibly comment :-X[/me]
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
mgillespie
Grafter

PS3 uses H264 HQ video streams and Flash9
Wii is stuck at Flash7, and thus stuck with VP6 and low qualiy (and poor compression ratios).
The bottom line, is the Wii does not have the "grunt" to decode H.264, but the PS3 can do it in it's sleep..
deadkenny
Rising Star

Quote from: adiewoo
Wii is actually 460p.

Good point, when it's progressive yeah. Interlaced it can be 576i. Not sure what mode it's in when in one of the "channels" rather than in a game. 460p looks better though over component than 576i.
Quote from: mgillespie
The bottom line, is the Wii does not have the "grunt" to decode H.264, but the PS3 can do it in it's sleep..

Apples and Oranges. The PS3 is hugely more expensive and is a mini home computer/media centre/games console/blu-ray player. The Wii is a simple fun family entertainment console. Still, the Wii remains more popular as it appeals to more than the teen to 20-something boys and to a population who really don't give a rats about HD. For gaming, whilst an HD Wii would be nice, I agree. I really don't need an HD noisy power beast of a console, mainly because I just don't play those type of games enough to justify it.
For iPlayer I just use my netbook upscaling to 1080 to my TV. Low powered Atom processor (much lower than a PS3), low noise, and plays standard def iPlayer fine (would do HD also if BBC didn't use DRM protection. Unfortunately the brilliant Core AVC codec doesn't work with DRM content).
Actually, I bet if Nintendo licenced Core AVC it would play iPlayer fine in H.264 too. The Core codec people are currently adding more hardware and many embedded devices are using it now.
acorns
Grafter

Quote from: tonycollinet

Is this another example of incorrect traffic management? (I am wondering if the Wii service uses different servers, or a different protocol which is not being correctly profiled)

I watched a 1 hour programme earlier this week on the Wii which now shows up under 'View My Usage' as Web Traffic rather than streaming. Which should it be? I was using the new IPlayer Wii channel rather then through the web browser channel.