cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vidzone buffering

Euge
Grafter

Vidzone buffering

I've noticed since moving onto the unlimited package that all the vidzone video's that I try to watch are being disrupted by 5 seconds of buffering every 30 seconds to a minute, which sort of destroys the enjoyment of music videos from the service. And by 'sort of' I mean 'completely'.
I would of thought that the 2Mb speed would be sufficient enough to stream the youtube quality videos and casette tape quality audio that vidzone delivers.
Firstly could anyone else on the unlimited package try out vidzone since youtube runs fine, even on HD.
57 REPLIES 57
bobboulby
Grafter

PlayStation Video Store

I see that the PlayStation Video Store has gone live today but how are PlusNet going to categorise the traffic? I've just tried to view a couple of film previews and they are buffering all the time. I'm on Unlimited by the way.
Bob
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Re: PlayStation Video Store

Badly Roll_eyes
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
bobboulby
Grafter

Well if streaming is going to work then I would suggest that the traffic needs the same priority as iPlayer.
Bob
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

I guess it will require a wireshark capture at some point to help enable them to sort it out.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
scootie
Grafter

yep sure will.  thank god i dont own a ps3
edit. am not sure about zune on the xbox but last fm seems to be picked up right from the first day of launch. lovely port 3074  Smiley
Euge
Grafter

Quote from: ASBO
thank god i dont own a ps3

I do, every day!  Wink
bobboulby
Grafter

Quote from: adiewoo
I guess it will require a wireshark capture at some point to help enable them to sort it out.

Any expert PS3 Wiresharkers out there?
Bob
bobboulby
Grafter

Previews are still buffering at 09:30 this morning. I should be getting line speed at this time so I'm not sure what's going on.
My Broadband Speed gives

Bob
Edit - has anyone else had chance to check it out or is it just me having problems?
scootie
Grafter

@bobboulby. its not as hard as you think to capture console traffic. Bob asked me to check the XBL inside xbox streaming vids and i had mine setup and captured 9 vids well within 15 mins this morning (took me longer to attach them to to ticket) and ended up puting them on my webspace. http://www.twiggymac.plus.com/
first of you need laptop or PC (laptop easyer of cause) with both LAN and wireless (or double lan if your posh) go to manage network connections and highlight both you lan and wireless adapters, right click and select bridge connections (make sure both adapters are not in use ie disconnect your wireless and leave the ethernet cable unplugged) now you should see a 3rd adapter pop up in the list called bridged.
now reconnect your wireless and this bridged connection will have all the ip ect info now where the wireless will give no info when you check its staus. now check your PC has connection to the internet if so plug your ethernet cable in from your ps3/xbox to your pc.
if you have your ps3/xbox setup on auto to get ip ect and you cant get a connection to the net from it, manulay input the ip address, subnet and dhcp server and dns (routers ip if thats the dns server)
works every time for me the only problem i get is if i dont disconnect  my laptop from the wireless when i bridge the adpaters, it still bridges them but i dont get no net and have to delete the bridge and start again, some times my xbox setup on auto grabs the info from the router and some times not but adding the info on my xbox manauly allways works.
now in wireshark goto capture, interfaces and you will most likely see 2 interfaces clocking up packets on the counter. i tend to sniff the ethernet lan instead of the wireless mac bridge as it tends to cut down on packets from your router tallking to the bridged adapter getting in your console capture.
the captures below have not got the xbox attached as am on my desktop hence why the LAN says its disconnected, also when your done with routing the console through your pc just right click that bridged adapter and click delete (again make sure your wireless and lan are not in use or it fails to delete it)
it will be slightly diffrent on xp but the method of bridging will be the same
bobboulby
Grafter

Thanks for the info ASBO however my desktop doesn't have wireless and my laptop is running Linux - does Wireshark work on Linux?
I think that we need a statement from PlusNet whether they intend to support this service. If they do then I think they carry some responsibility to do the investigation and get it working.
Bob.
scootie
Grafter

if you look down the right hand side there are links for linux distros but i dont know if there the full package of wireshark or not http://www.wireshark.org/download.html
p.s when one of you finaly upgrade to the better console you will have to give me the ps3 for testing  Grin
in the past i have had pn once watching my connections traffic going over the network but the only info they told me is they could see the XBL vids ip's where limelight, i have no idea if they saw what prioity they was getting and if they can grab a capture to enable a sig to be made watching traffic like this
bobboulby
Grafter

Ok, I've had a read around following ASBOS's instructions on Linux and I have to say that it's somewhat outside my technical comfort zone  Embarrassed
Please could we have some input from PlusNet on this - I still think that the onus should be on them to sort it out.
By the way, it's streaming ok this morning (11:45 on Saturday). Maybe that's because the network is back in "Plan A" mode?
Bob
scootie
Grafter

yes i to belive plusnet should be able to test the consoles out for them selfs, i only went about a trail an error process of getting it to work because i wanted to prove the streaming vids where classed as 0x60 about 6 or more months ago.
am allways happy to help but not much one can do, even the mighty xbox cant morph into a ps3 or wii  Smiley
Mand
Grafter

Re:PlayStation Video Store

Have a whip-round and buy me a PS3 and I'll do all the wiresharking you like. Wink
I've asked Tommo to do some testing on this, and see what we can do.
Being back in plan A will have made things significantly better, but we need to check what it's marked as and make sure it's correct.