cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

See - now traffic management just doesn't work, does it?

mattbrooks

Re: See - now traffic management just doesn't work, does it?

I just switched to pte-ag2 and my download speed has gone from 6KB/s to 35KB/s  Shocked
I'm only trying to download a 43.7MB graphics driver file and so far I have failed for three evenings in a row.
tonycollinet
Grafter

Quote from: tonycollinet
Was there an update James, I didn't see it.

Here is another example - want to try the iplayer on the new wii channel, but first I must do a wii system update. So I've kicked it off, and after 15 minutes it is less than 10% complete. Clearly on a restricted protocol, but of course I have no way of knowing what or why.
Which all means that for the 2-3 hours the wii will now have to take to update itself:
1 - I can't use it
2 - it is at risk of knackered update via power cut.

I am increasingly feeling that the plusnet product line is unsuitable for my needs. If I want to do something *today* it is only possible if that thing is surfing the net, or sending an email. Last night I was unable to install a wubi ubuntu install on the laptop for the same reason, left it overnight, and the laptop crashed (no idea why, I was in bed). In the morning, I had to go to work (like most) now it is evening again, and of course I can't install it.
So looks like I must wait for the weekend to do anything other than surf/email.
*despair*

Well there we go - we finally have the straw that broke...
I player is unable to stream "insufficient bandwidth to play without interruption"
http://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=26471.0
tonycollinet
Grafter

Now I cannot play trailer videos on IMDB without them stalling.
Come on plusnet - I think it is time to sort this out.

Related - am I correct in thinking that traffic management is operated as a whitelist system. That is - everything is throttled unless manually identified and added to the system as higher level traffic? If so, then it is naturally going to be completely inadequate.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: tonycollinet
Related - am I correct in thinking that traffic management is operated as a whitelist system. That is - everything is throttled unless manually identified and added to the system as higher level traffic? If so, then it is naturally going to be completely inadequate.

Not totally accurate. I think the default for unidentified traffic is silver not bronze, so it will be managed but not as severely as traffic identified as P2P or from usenet servers not known as text only.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
godsell4
Rising Star

iplayer was stuttering for me last night, I jumped gateways twice, no difference same problem on all 3, so gave up.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
chesterfield
Grafter

I have modified my post as I have found out that I am a complete and utter tool, who despite spending the best part of a decade in IT should actually not be let loose with anything other than a speak and spell, without batteries.
It appears Utorrent likes to start up and not tell you when installed on windows 7, meaning you havent got a clue its running and screwing up/hogging your bandwidth.
I shall retract my negative comments, and hang my head in shame in the corner, with a very large cap with a big letter D on it.
Keep up the good work PN and make sure you take no notice of blithering idiots like myself.
Anyway, I trust that has given those with real problems a bit of a laugh for the evening, I can maybe catch up on my gaming that I missed out on due to my own stupid fault.
Big slice of humble pie for table two please Smiley
tonycollinet
Grafter

OK - anyone (especially plusnet) care to tell me why I can't download from astraweb faster than 19kb/s this evening (seems it is a usual speed for usenet, despite the target being 128kb/s). Only 14% of the target speed achieved.
Thanks