Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discussion Thread for RIN Decommisioning Announcement

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Discussion Thread for RIN Decommisioning Announcement

See Bob's announcement here: http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,75842.0.html
Morning all,
Thought I'd start a thread here to give people a heads up that we're going to be decommissioning access to the 'RIN' platform at the end of May.
For those that don't know, this was part of a trial we launched back in 2007 and there are currently around 500 users who are accessing the platform on a regular basis.
These 500 customers can expect an email from me at some point today as follows -
[Quote=Bob Pullen]
Your username: {username}

Hi {real_name},

We'd like to make you aware of some network changes that we're going to be making soon that might cause a very brief interruption to your Internet connection.
Don't worry, it's unlikely that you'll notice these changes, however we thought we'd take this opportunity to email you so you know what they involve.

Back in February 2007 we conducted a trial that allowed a small number of customers to connect to an alternative broadband platform, commonly referred to as the Retail Internet Network or 'RIN' for short. In order to connect to the RIN network we asked customers to change the 'realm' they use to connect to the Internet - this is the 'bit after the @ sign' of your broadband username. Instead of using <username>@plusdsl.net, we asked customers to connect using <username>@plusdsl2.net.
The RIN trials ended in September 2007 however we continued to allow those who had taken part in the trial to carry on using the '@plusdsl2.net' username to connect to the RIN network. Our Usergroup posted an article about the termination of the trial at the time, a copy of which you can see here - http://usergroup.plus.net...0912_RINtrialcomplete.php
We're writing to tell you this because we've noticed that you're one of the customers who may still be using the alternative version of your username to connect to the RIN network.
At the end of May BT are going to be making some changes to their network. These changes mean that we are no longer going to be able to route your Internet traffic over the RIN network. To minimise the impact of this change we're going to automatically route your traffic back over the Plusnet network before BT alter anything at their side.
You don't need to take any action and the only thing you might notice is a brief interruption in service when BT disconnect you from the RIN network. Don't worry though, you'll be able to reconnect immediately even if this does happen.
If you prefer, you can avoid any unecessary interruption to your Internet connection by changing the username you're using to connect to the Internet back to the '@plusdsl.net' variant.
If you have any questions about these changes, or would like to contact our support team to discuss anything else concerning your account, then please get in touch with us using the Help Assistant available on our website - http://www.plus.net/wizard/index.html

Kind Regards,
Bob Pullen
PlusNet Customer Support
http://www.plus.net
This email has been sent as it contains important information about your service from Plusnet. Please do not reply to this email, as it has been sent from an unmonitored address.
--
Plusnet PLC
Registered Office: Internet House, 2 Tenter Street, Sheffield, S1 4BY
Registered in England no: 3279013
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
33 REPLIES 33
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Re: Discussion Thread for RIN Decommisioning Announcement

1. I presume more segments are going to be lit to handle the extra traffic moving all these users back will generate - when? Surely this should have been done before you sent the emails out as if a lot of the RIN users do as you have suggested in the email it could affect the network.
2. I've dipped back and forward between RIN and the normal network several times and have consistently found that performance on RIN is better so I'm very sad to see this go.
Be3G
Grafter

Will the disappearance of RIN really require much extra capacity? IIRC only PAYG users were given access to it, so that 500 probably consists of quite a few people only using a handful of GB a month, which in turn suggests that the bandwidth hit will be minimal - bandwidth in its proper meaning that is (i.e. throughput in relation to time). Obviously it's theoretically possible that all those minimal PAYG users could use the internet at precisely the same time thus having a bigger effect on the network capacity, but I'm not sure it's that likely.
Anyway, well written e-mail Bob.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Just switched again to run speed tests.
On RIN:

On normal Plusnet network:
godsell4
Rising Star

Lets phormulate some ideas about what BT Retail may be doing in May that PN do not want to be a part of? Wink
SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Quote from: Be3G
Will the disappearance of RIN really require much extra capacity? IIRC only PAYG users were given access to it, so that 500 probably consists of quite a few people only using a handful of GB a month, which in turn suggests that the bandwidth hit will be minimal - bandwidth in its proper meaning that is (i.e. throughput in relation to time). Obviously it's theoretically possible that all those minimal PAYG users could use the internet at precisely the same time thus having a bigger effect on the network capacity, but I'm not sure it's that likely.

I wonder what percentage of the 500 are on the PAYG 15GB special (equivalent of BBYW Pro and Plusnet Pro)? They will be probably using more than a handful of GB per month and might be using streaming during the evening. Certainly as all their traffic is Gold (or better) there could be an impact.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Quote from: jelv
1. I presume more segments are going to be lit to handle the extra traffic moving all these users back will generate - when? Surely this should have been done before you sent the emails out as if a lot of the RIN users do as you have suggested in the email it could affect the network.

We've recently started the ball rolling to get the next segment lit which I believe has been ear-marked for the end of this month. Considering the fact that we signup more than 500 customers a week, I don't think we've much to worry about. The additional users moving back to our network is something that's been considered.
2. I've dipped back and forward between RIN and the normal network several times and have consistently found that performance on RIN is better so I'm very sad to see this go.

I agree that it's proved a useful diagnostic tool however there's not much we can do about it really. We've received notification from Retail that they're aiming to progress their migration from IPStream to the new WBC IPConnect product at the end of May. Due to some issues with the IPConnect product they can no longer support the arrangement they have at the moment to allow Plusnet customers to connect to the network.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

jelv
Seasoned Hero

I'm getting worried about losing RIN. Speeds have always been excellent day and night. Tonight as a result of seeing another post I've been doing some testing. See http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,76055.0.html
TeaTec
Dabbler

ATTN: Bob Pullen
Having had an unuseable internet connection for about a week, while I was waiting for the fault to be traced and sorted I was made aware of your announcement re RIN decommissioning. I thought well I have nothing to lose in trying the RIN connection to see if I could get a working internet connection. So I logged into my router and added the 2 to my username and hey presto my connection was up and running again.
That was two weeks ago and since then the PlusNet faults team have failed to sort out the problem with my normal username connection and it appears to me, as I have presently have a connection, my fault doesn't have any urgency now and is drifting. From my perspective the faults team are now playing ping pong with the fault, with no sign of it's resolution.
Now I am aware from the announcement that the RIN connection will be disabled in about a couple of weeks and I am therefore concerned that I will again be left with a totally unuseable broadband connection when this happens.
Surely this can not be that difficult to sort out when I have a perfectly good connection using the RIN connection and do not have when using my normal connection.
If you would like to have a look into it Bob, the main still PlusNet open fault ticket is ID: 28626640
connected closed tickets
ID: 28616381
ID: 28618182
ID: 28626641
ID: 28639999
ID: 28640000
ID: 28781487

Please also see what I said in my last two paragraphs of my response on the open ticket yesterday evening.

Regards,
Ian
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Hi Ian,
Thanks for the post. Unfortunately Bob is out the office this week, but I'll go take a look at your ticket and see what's going on.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

I've briefly looked over the ticket, concentrating on your more recent responses, and can see that RIN is performing significantly better for you than our network is. From what I can see the faults team have asked that we try your connection on a different one of our traffic management profiles to see if that's causing the issue for you.
As a side note, there were a large amount of customers disconnected last night which has left our network significantly out of balance so if you switch back to our network now and do some speed tests you may see either:
- Normal speeds due to hitting one of the emptier pipes
- Reduced speeds due to hitting one of the full pipes
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

After connecting go to http://usertools.plus.net/@gateway to find out which gateway you are on. Then go to http://www.plus.net/support/network_performance/broadband_packets_drop.shtml to see if that is a busy or quiet pipe.
TeaTec
Dabbler

Hi Chris,
Thank you for your reply.
I was advised this afternoon by support@plus.net that
"There is no point changing your service offer on our traffic management systems because you are as pay as you go customer and get the highest priorities available already."
and

"We would like to perform a dial test on your line to prove/rule out our traffic management systems being the cause of the problem."
I have replied that I am happy to switch of my router overnight so that a dial test can be done, but that a dial test has already been done on the 26/27th of April (the fault started on 24th of April and remained unchanged, but a number of fault numbers have been opened and closed, by different people, all relating to the same fault), see closed fault ID: 28618182.
I have switched back to my normal connection and I managed to get the www.mybroadbandspeed.co.uk page to come up, but after 33 minutes after clicking the begin button, it is still showing preparing download test. Basically having tried to load other web sites nothing has changed from before.
I also tried connecting to http://usertools.plus.net/@gateway per jelv's suggestion and got enough of the page up to get the details as below.
"You are currently connected to the "Telehouse North, Juniper 6" gateway. This gateway is sometimes known as
thn-ag1. "
I had to go back on the RIN connection to be able to view
http://www.plus.net/support/network_performance/broadband_packets_drop.shtml
and if I am reading it correctly this doesn't seem to be a busy pipe, but after three weeks and lots of switching of and on of the router I can't see this being the problem. But thanks for the suggestion jelv.

Ian
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Ian, You read the graphs right.
Chris, If he has connected using username@plusdsl2.net, is there any reason why simultaneously you can't be doing a dial test on username@plusdsl.net? I thought the reason for asking people to disconnect for a dial test was to prevent two connections at the same time with the same IP - RIN and normal connections are on different IP ranges.
Ian, A wild stab in the dark (trying to think of things that may behave differently on RIN and normal connections): do you know what your MTU setting is on your router? It needs to be the same or bigger than the MTU on your PC (I set my router MTU to the maximum which is 1500)
TeaTec
Dabbler

Chris, I have submitted ethereal packet captures to Support as well as details of ping tests I did today with different MTU settings on both connections.
Jelv, my router MTU is 1492, it's default. I carried out ping tests today for both connections varying the MTU and using -f -l options. I was getting request not found errors down to an MTU of 1414, but even at this my internet and email was not working as before at the default router MTU. Also pinging problem domain names works, so I am presuming dns is not the problem. Thanks for the suggestion though.
Hopefully PlusNet support can find some answers in the ethereal packet captures to explain the fault.
Ian