cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Firewall

Fifer
Grafter

Re: Firewall

Just noticed this and after checking my Plusnet firewall settings it's set at off. It has probably been this way since i changed over to Value from BBYW 2.
This was about nine or ten months ago.  As i have the Windows firewall running and my router is firewalled i don't suppose it really matters that much, but it would have been nice to have been informed some way that it was switched off when it was changed over to Value.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

So can we have an update on this please instead of just thanks for the feedback. And it would be nice to know what happened to the old problem 55858 as Matt had to raise ref. 74543 ?
Anotherone
Champion

Was problem 55858 only addressing BBYW products per chance?
rja66
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Turning mine back on now after moving to unlimited a few weeks ago, should I set it to low or high?  Huh
Anonymous
Not applicable

@rja66 what OS are you using ?
Anotherone
Champion

Low is good enough for most purposes, have a read here
rja66
Rising Star

Quote from: purleigh
@rja66 what OS are you using ?

We have two laptops running windows 7, one still using XP and various iOS devices.
Quote from: Anotherone
Low is good enough for most purposes, have a read here

Thanks, I wasn't sure if setting it on high might cause any issues though?
We don't do anything special with our broadband only surf, email and occasional  PS3 or Wii gaming online.  
Anonymous
Not applicable

With Windows the "Low" setting should be fine.
alanf
Aspiring Pro

Quote from: Anotherone
So can we have an update on this please instead of just thanks for the feedback. And it would be nice to know what happened to the old problem 55858 as Matt had to raise ref. 74543 ?

Still no update as to what has happened regarding this issue. Is it to be left for a further 4 years to be rediscovered?
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Just been and checked on both, and they've both been closed - unfortunately we've not had the resource to get this looked into, and I suspect the same thing will happen again if we raise it a third time, so I suspect it's just something we're going to have to take note of and inform customers about.
Sorry about that, realise it's not what you want to hear but given the number of customers affected by this we have to be realistic.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

Matt,
Is not doing something about a P2 problem which as been known about for 4 years which negates the functionality of a highly desirable security feature without informing the customer really realistic?
Just how difficult is it to remove / change the product setup / change process to not alter the current settings or (arguably the better of two evils) change the current behaviour to default to "low" rather than "off"?  Surely it s better to turn it on rather than leave / change it to off?
Cheers,
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Hi,
Please leave this with me, I'm going to try and collate some examples of this before re-raising this as a problem.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

Chris,
As ever you're a diamond geezer!
Thans,
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

alanf
Aspiring Pro

Quote from: Matt
I suspect it's just something we're going to have to take note of and inform customers about.

It cannot be difficult as part of the product change confirmation to add a prominent message informing the customer that the internet firewall has been turned off and will need to be reset. This shouldn't take years and should have been done when the issue was first reported years ago. (I still cannot believe that huge resources are required to fix the actual problem).
Customers are being put at additional risk because they believe that they have a security feature that they do not in fact have. Also turning off the PN firewall is permitting unwanted traffic down the line which counts against any monthly allowance. This is probably less of an issue than it once was because many of us are on  Unlimited products , but for those who are not the additional traffic could make the difference between having to make additional paymants for traffic and not. So Plusnet has been profiting by not fixing the problem.
Who makes the decision simply not to do anything about a reported issue? Are the support staff that raise them not informed and given the chance to challenge the decision or report back to customers? As things stand (almost) everyone keeps quiet because they think that something is being done when in fact it is not. This is bad policy as who knows how many other things are quietly forgotten. (I recall in the distant past a promise from Plusnet to implement encrypted emails by a specified time which later became something that there were no plans whatever to implement).