cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Web Hosting Preview - Details

auldgrey

Re: New Web Hosting Preview - Details

Hi
I currently have a MediaWiki site in CGI. Ian Wild said that the new service would have a one click installer for WordPress. I see that Plesk also list MediaWiki as one of the applications available for installation so does that mean I will also have the one click option? I must admit the thought of changing over brought me out in a cold sweat after the struggle I had understanding how to get it set up in the dim and distant past. If the option is already available please excuse my lack of research, if not when will it be there?. My wiki is the only reason I have for trying out the new service so if there is an easy route in the future I will probably take it when it presents itself. Undecided
keppy2008
Grafter

Quote from: xpcomputers
I assumed that the allowances had been set wrong for the whole of my account by PlusNet.
Spurred by your optimism, I just checked the limits page and sure enough, it let me allocate 250 MB disk usage and 1536 MB/month data transfer usage to the main domain... (these are the maximums on the whole account).
I tried setting higher values, and it told me the values were invalid and had to be 250 MB and 1536 MB/month respectively (or lower), or that I would need to allocate more to the client (me), which is clearly the bit that PlusNet set when creating the account (and the bit I have no access to).
So you were right, PlusNet have only allocated half the space in my account by default to the domain, but the rest is available to me to allocate as I wish.... which I have now done.
As you say, it would make much more sense to have the full disk & transfer quota assigned to the default domain to start with (when there is only one domain setup). People adding a second domain area in the future, would probably know what they were doing, and could shrink the quotas to suit their needs.
Is this a penny pinching idea from PlusNet to hope users don't notice they are shoe-horned into a smaller quota and therefore only use half their allowance?
Thanks for the speedy reply and resolution....

Re the allowance...  i have just had an email from Pahy Support quote >>>
You are currently using 137.95 M of filespace with 134.43 M of data transfer. The limits for your account on this domain are as follows:
125.00 M of filespace.
768.00 M of data transfer.
unquote
I have had a look at the limits and it shows 250 of filespace......
I only have the one domain....  how do i asign the full 250 allocation?
The normal data transfer will be minimal ... it was so large this time because it was the intial transfer.
Also >>>  i could not publish to username.plushost.co.uk  and had to publish to the IP address....  also i cannot view it yet and have been told it will be 24 hours before i can do so.... 
I realise this is only a test system but would be obliged if others can confirm this is the norm.
Thanks.
Ken 
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

By default half your allowance is allocated to the domain - you can change this - it's come up before in this topic:
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,69283.msg552980.html#msg552980
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
keppy2008
Grafter

Quote from: jelv
By default half your allowance is allocated to the domain - you can change this - it's come up before in this topic:
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,69283.msg552980.html#msg552980

FINALLY found it under  TIPS etc.... quote
I only seem to have half the advertised space & bandwidth. How do I increase the space & bandwidth to the allowed maximum?
Plusnet have allocated the correct space to the whole account, but by default have only allocated half of that webspace & monthly bandwidth to the initial website domain (probably username.plushost.co.uk unless you've got your own domain name) and left the other half unallocated.
If you click on this main domain (at the bottom of plesk), and then click LIMITS icon, you can increase them to the full allowance for that site
Thanks for the help..........................
pharbar

I have a question which I have not found discussed here yet, concerning the future of multiple domains contained within a single websapce.  At present, each is entirely self-contained in subfolders of htdocs, so html pages, css, mp3, jpgs etc are all accessed and downloaded from within the domain.  Neat and professional.
However, under the present system, if I were to use the cgi space for php pages, I have been told that it is currently NOT possible to point to separate directories for each domain, and furthermore that larger files should be stored in htdocs, and accessed by absolute links (so those addresses would NOT be sub-directories of the appropriate domain).  So even if the domain started in www.domainname.com/index.html, it would then go to my general cgi space for all further php pages (something ugly like: http://ccgi.username.plus.com/domainnamefolder/anotherpage.php. ; Not neat or professional, so I have not bothered.
My question with regard to the NEW system is:
Will it be possible to devise the new system to enable ALL the various kinds of files (html, php, mp3 etc.) to be stored under a SINGLE directory (pointed at by DNS) for EACH domain - hosted and "username webspace".  I hope it is possible to build this in at this stage, as it would be of great benefit to those if us who have multiple domains and would like to use php.
Thanks for considering this suggestion, Peter
andywarren
Dabbler

Hi,
My php application is creating files which are owned by www-data, are in group www-data  and only have owner write permissions. How can I change the permission of these files to delete them?
Thanks
Andy.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

If they are in a directory that is writable by username then username should be able to delete the files using the Plesk file manager or an FTP client application. One doesn't need write permission on a file to delete it.
If the directory isn't writable by username, one has to go up a level until changing sub-directory permissions to 777 is possible, then work down to the level required. Finally delete them.
Otherwise write some PHP code (that runs as www-data/www-data) to delete them. This option could help if there are a lot of files to delete.
David
David
oldgustav
Grafter

As a very non-technical person I would like to know whether the difficulties I have had trying to make a php contact form work will be solved by the new web hosting set up.
I use a Mac and a WYSIWYG web design program called RapidWeaver. It includes a template for a contact form that relies on the web host having CGI/PHP enabled. Members of the RapidWeaver user forum say that PlusNet cannot host the php form (I don't understand the reasons why) but the RapidWeaver contact form works for hundreds of other users using different web hosts. I've tried everything I can to make it work, but without success (it seems that the problem is that the php file needs to be hosted on the cgi server and then the link is lost to the html files that reside in htdocs in the normal web space.
Sorry if this all a bit basic for this forum but I hope someone can help me.
spraxyt
Resting Legend

The new PAYH server has cgi-bin and httpdocs folders on the same webspace which seems to meet the requirement you describe. Why not sign up for a preview account at http://trials.plus.net and give it a try?
David
David
oldgustav
Grafter

Thanks David, your comment confirms what I'd read between the lines. If I sign up for the trial though, do you know if I'll lose or interrupt services on my current web space?
spraxyt
Resting Legend

Signing up doesn't affect your existing webspace. You will be given a domain <youraccount>.plushost.co.uk which is completely separate from your existing site.
David
David
oldgustav
Grafter

Thanks again David - have now signed up for the trial...
andywarren
Dabbler

Hi,
Something has changed, both my website on the new platform no longer work, they've both been fine for about a month and now there's a problem. It appears that the php can not longer create and content (either files or directories) in a sub directory whos permissions are rwxrwxrwx, and is owned by www-data. This is a major problem for me since my app creates cache directories.
I also tried to look at the files using eXtplorer, which is not not able to read the owner of the files which are owned by www-data where previously this worked.
Does anyone know what's been changed or if it's likely to get put back the way it was?
Regards
Andy
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Is it something to do with this?
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,71596.0.html
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
andywarren
Dabbler

Ah yes that's exactly what the problem is.
Shame there's no fix.
Thanks
Andy