Postini Feedback / Manage My Mail Improvements

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Postini Feedback / Manage My Mail Improvements

@ddunford
Shouldn't you have gone home ages ago?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
ddunford
Grafter

I am home, just making sure everything is ok with people having to pick up my mistakes and if they need any support. Dont worry, ive had my few hours sleep... even if i currently do have the flu, i'll plod along Smiley
ChrisL
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

A Service Status update to last nights rollout saying there were a few problems (now resolved) and referring to this topic wouldn't go amiss.

Yes, as I understand it, there was a period of time when my tagged spam was being sent to webmail spam folders (by default) instead of to my inbox (as expected). Even if this is now fixed, presumably I need to go check my webmail for false positives that might have arrived at the 'wrong' time?
If this is right, then people are going to need to know....
(dd -- Do I hear violins  Wink )
ddunford
Grafter

Quote from: ChrisL

(dd -- Do I hear violins  Wink )

Damn right! Wink
petejackson
Grafter

Quote from: jelv
@ddunford
Shouldn't you have gone home ages ago?

He did.. He went home at about 11am got some sleep.. logged in from home to check later and helped out.  The man is dedicated I tell ya.
andyrogers
Grafter

Bob
I think I may know what it actually causing my problems, Re multiple Quarantine logins.
This morning when I logged into the postini quarantine service 1st thing, and discovered the "My Settings" area which has now since disappeared, i added one alais which was my main e-mail address, and it got linked to my postini.default@mydomain.force9.co.uk login address so I could log in with both my normal e-mail address which is on the mydomain.f9.co.uk domain but any mail now that is quarantineed to my specific address my.address@mydomain.f9.co.uk is being quaranteened in mydomain.force9.co.uk .
Anything else which is being sent to say whatever@mydomain.f9.co.uk is being correctly reported under seperate domains on postini.
All that needs doing is my alais e-mail address removing from within Postini, but I can't do this as the "My Settings" has gone.  Or I could do this if my settings were re-enabled (Hint, Hint)  Wink Wink
Thanks
Andy
PS Bob please check your PM for actual details.
praethon
Grafter

Quote from: Bob
50961 - Customers email getting deferred by the mx.cores.
This is what was affecting you Gary (and anyone else who had opted out of Postini). After fixing problem 50955, email for these accounts started getting deferred. Don't worry, nothing will have been lost and it should all be fixed now. Gary, how are things at your side?

There is still nothing coming through. Do I take there is still a problem with this?
Eserim
Rising Star

Just a quick query over old fashioned mail groups.  I subscribe to one, for jobs, and mails come to me with the "From" as the original poster (could be any address from the 100s of members and a "Sender" as the mail list.  Does the White list work on both "From" and "Sender" ?
Cheers
Eserim
mikeb
Rising Star

Quote from: jelv

But Mike, pn.s.s news://usenet.plus.net:119/bICdnY5sAruFMG7anZ2dneKdnZydnZ2d@plusnet said
Maintenance Window:-
Thursday 3rd April 2:00am-7:00am.
Further details regarding the new Manage My Mail anti-spam controls can
be found in a recently published blog post over on our Community Site:-
http://community.plus.net/blog/2008/04/02/postini-anti-spam-update-taking-control-of-the-plusnet-spam-filters/

So that made the blog post official!

Whilst this is true up to a point it isn't being particularly open and honest IMHO. There appears to be a growing trend by PN to bury important (if not vital) information concerning the service provided in lengthy blog posts and suchlike. Whilst such posts are often very interesting and informative, it doesn't alter the fact that it should not be necessary plough through 'n' pages of stuff to try and glean essential information relating to the account or service being provided. This is by no means the first time that not-so-good news has been 'announced' in this way and nor is the first time that the title of the blog post and any references made to it do not tell the whole story about exactly what is being 'announced' either.
In this case, the title is "postini spam update" and all references or comments being made elsewhere refer to "improvements" and the introduction of new facilities for controlling the postini spam system etc.  I'm not using postini so why would I even consider reading such a document when it quite clearly doesn't apply to me ? Not enough hours in the day to read pages and pages of waffle (no matter how interesting and informative they might actually be) when it clearly doesn't concern me in the slightest and nor does it affect the service that I receive in any way and all that.  There is absolutely nothing anywhere to even imply that there was more to it than the introduction of postini controls via the portal is there ?  I'm not saying that I didn't know it was going to happen sooner or later mind you but a genuine announcement if when would have been nice and all that.
Exactly the same thing happened when postini was first 'announced' to users of course.  Most of the rest of the world already knew by then mind you because of the official press releases much earlier in the day. However, despite the honest detail given many hours earlier to the rest of the world, all readily available and obvious references were to a trial being conducted and that the blog contained further information on that trial and how to take part in that trial etc. No need to read it seeing as I didn't want to take part ... but, of course, buried away in amongst it all was the fact that it wasn't really a trial at all but a prelude to the real thing that would be mandatory for all customers in the very near future.
Ditto the IWF nonsense as well in some respects. Doesn't concern or affect me at all but still a fundamental change to the service with the 'announcement' buried away with a post about planned router maintenance or something. No details whatsoever, just maintenance, so nothing of interest going on there then.
I'm sure there are other examples as well. There is a right and proper way to make important service announcements and burying them away somewhere 'convenient' is not the right and proper way IMHO. There is no possible excuse for it other than to make the information harder to find or less likely to be spotted whilst still being able to say "told you so" later. Funny that it's always potentially bad or controversial matters that are handled in this way isn't it ? You never see "bandwidth increase" announcement or whatever handled like this, there are always multiple "good news" posts all over the place complete with associated trumpets and flags  Tongue
Sorry, but there are no particularly good reasons that I can see for not making a sensible announcement in the official place. pn.s.s and pn.s.a and so on exist for a reason: to provide clear, concise and reliable updates concerning the service and or provision of service. Why should users be expected to read lengthy and apparently irrelevant blog posts and/or newsletters and so on to try and find any snippets of information that might be relevant to them when a simple one-liner in the right place would have done the job perfectly.
Router Maintenance: IWF kit to be commissioned [further details here]
Anti-Spam System: Advance trial of postini system prior to migrating all PN customers to the new system shortly. [further details here]
Postini Anti-Spam System: New controls to manage the postini configuration via the portal [further details here]
PN Anti-Spam system: Advanced warning that it's being decommissioned completely on dd/mm/yy. [further details here]
Simple, clear, concise, readily available, totally understandable, totally obvious to all readers whether it affects them or not at a glance and would take no more than a couple of minutes to do.  So the reason for not doing this is ...... [answers on a post card]

B T Plusnet, a bit kinda like P T Barnum ...

... but quite often appears to feature more clowns Tongue
ddunford
Grafter

Can i just point out that the blog post is relevant to everyone, everyone will read that post and find a particular section that is 'important' to them. So the whole blog post is required, even if a small snippet only matters to you. What other ways would you suggest we communcate this blog post, which covers all changes/improvements/screenshots etc made to the manage my mail tool?
Also to point out further, the details of this tool will be dicussed in the next Newsletter.
So basically you have different communication methods, blogs, forum posts, service status, news letter (email), and many more which i cant remember off the top of my head (which all touch different types/audiences of customers which dont always read email, ss postings etc)
Which we are communicating via these channels. I can understand your concern about wanting to read 'everything' in service status, but this isn't what its meant for, its meant to be a short description of maintenance work being carried out, if the customer cares enough to find out what its about we provide extra reading. In this case, a blog post.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: mikeb
Not enough hours in the day to read pages and pages of waffle (no matter how interesting and informative they might actually be)

Mike, I might suggest that you are on slightly dodgy ground there given that the average length of your posts is about four times that of everybody else on theses forums.  Wink
PN Anti-Spam system: Advanced warning that it's being decommissioned completely on dd/mm/yy. [further details here]

That is a gross miss-representation! All bar a handful of customers (probably less than 0.001% of the total user base) are totally unaffected by the removal of the turning off of the spam checking on the mailcore servers. We had advanced warning weeks ago that it was going to be turned off.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Well when is the "All" customer news letter coming out, as I posted earlier about 90% of the user base dont read the blogs or forums and might have been adversely by the changes - in the form of lost e-mail
mikeb
Rising Star

BTW, there's something more than a bit odd going on with my postinied A/C since these recent changes as well.  An unusual and uncharacteristic low range flavours and volume of some types of spam whilst still receiving more than enough whitelisted spam and certain specific flavours of spam.  Test messages seem to come through but are certainly not being sensibly filtered by postini so far as blatant non-compliance with RFCs is concerned again.
For instance, since when has from: xxx.yyy@zzz been an acceptable from/return address with totally valid mx-records which therefore justifies the message getting a high spam score ?
It all looks mighty odd to me at the mo. A sudden and very dramatic change in mail being received via postini at exactly the same time as a load of changes were implemented by PN. Is that suspicious or is that suspicious !
What exactly is happening with any and all postini mail that is 'deferred' seeing that according to PN, postini do NOT store messages they can't forward immediately ?  Hmmmm, maybe explains the low volume I guess and mail is being lost after all ? Sad
Do PN already know spam has been bypassing postini and coming in direct again BTW ?

B T Plusnet, a bit kinda like P T Barnum ...

... but quite often appears to feature more clowns Tongue
ddunford
Grafter

Quote from: pierre_pierre
Well when is the "All" customer news letter coming out, as I posted earlier about 90% of the user base dont read the blogs or forums and might have been adversely by the changes - in the form of lost e-mail

Im not sure to be honest, one of the comms guys can probably confirm exactly when it'll be sent out.
But, even if the customer is un-aware of the change then i think we can assume they are happy, right? Because,  If they are not happy with current spam settings then, A: They'll raise a ticket only to be informed of the new improvements which come with support material, or B: They are on this forum, and already know about it Smiley
So the newsletter will simply inform the other audience we've not been able to reach, if they actually want to have a play with the new settings then by all means. The main audience who wanted these improvements have already been captured because they are active forum users or people who have been raising tickets etc.
ddunford
Grafter

For instance, since when has from: xxx.yyy@zzz been an acceptable from/return address with totally valid mx-records which therefore justifies the message getting a high spam score ?
It all looks mighty odd to me at the mo. A sudden and very dramatic change in mail being received via postini at exactly the same time as a load of changes were implemented by PN. Is that suspicious or is that suspicious !

Do you have any headers so we can investigate...
What exactly is happening with any and all postini mail that is 'deferred' seeing that according to PN, postini do NOT store messages they can't forward immediately ?  Hmmmm, maybe explains the low volume I guess and mail is being lost after all ? Sad

Not sure, from my understanding the emails were queued and then delivered when the mxcores were switched back on. What makes you think they are/have been 'deferred' ?
Do PN already know spam has been bypassing postini and coming in direct again BTW ?

Same again, please provide headers so we can check this to see whats going on.