Did you mean: 

Postini Feedback / Manage My Mail Improvements

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Postini Feedback / Manage My Mail Improvements

Morning all,
I have just posted an update on the up-and-coming Manage My Mail changes that will allow customers greater control over aspects of Positni's anti-spam filtering.
You can find a copy of the announcement here.
Please keep feedback regarding these changes and any other relevant aspects of the Postini implementation to this thread.
If you are having problems with incorrectly identified emails (false positives) then please refer to the thread here on the subject.
I'm now going to ask the mods to close the original monster 81 page thread in favour of this one.
If you have arrived here by clicking the link in the Service Status announcement here, then please see below for a list of currently outstanding problems as at 4:00pm 04/07/2008.
If you believe you have a problem that isn't covered in the list below then please post details to this thread and/or raise a support ticket.
Problem 51077 Customers Being Removed From Postini Following Email Maintenance - Work in progress, when running maintenance on some domains to fix single user issues we have inadvertently broken the customer's mail delivery. We're looking into why this is happening and have stopped using the maintenance scripts for the time being.
Problem 51057 MX Records not updating for transferred in domains - Work in progress. If we transfer a domain onto our systems the spam settings all default to the correct values but the customer's MX records stay pointed at the old mail platform. Because the old platform is configured to block emails that bypass Postini, this causes messages to get deferred.
Problem 51578 Mail api switches settings in tblMailFilterSettings to accept mail via mxcores when customer is on Postini - Awaiting resource, we have identified an account that is still accepting email via the mx.cores despite being in Positni. We have raised change controls to have this fixed however the settings keep reverting back.
Problem 51047 Domains set to 'semi-auto' or 'SMTP' in DCS are visible on the Manage My Mail 'Spam' tab - Awaiting resource. Customers with domains configured to deliver mail using direct SMTP or third party MX records can select these using the drop-down on the Spam tab of the Manage My Mail tool. If any settings are refreshed on this page it will break a customers email settings as the MX records would then be swung back to point at Postini

Problem 50966 Customers not receiving daily quarantine summary - Fixed, Due to the architecture of our current anti-spam platform, it has emerged that the way the system is set up prevents us from being able to send out Quarantine Summary reports. This feature has not worked properly since it was introduced so to avoid any further confusion it has been removed from the Manage My Mail tool in the Member Centre. This will allow us more time to explore the feasibility of redesigning the system to accommodate such functionality.
Problem 50947 Existing customers can access Quarantine settings - We have identified that one of the original batches moved to the Postini platform, were not processed correctly. To fixed this would involve a complete overhaul of the existing hierarchy so we've decided to deal with these on a case by case basis. The problem is not really to the detriment of the customer.
Problem 51067 'Update all domains' checkbox not working correctly when changing the email address The Quarantine report is sent to - Due to the architecture of our current anti-spam platform, it has emerged that the way the system is set up prevents us from being able to send out Quarantine Summary reports. This feature has not worked properly since it was introduced so to avoid any further confusion it has been removed from the Manage My Mail tool in the Member Centre
Problem 51011 Unable to send quarantine reports to redirects - Due to the architecture of our current anti-spam platform, it has emerged that the way the system is set up prevents us from being able to send out Quarantine Summary reports. This feature has not worked properly since it was introduced so to avoid any further confusion it has been removed from the Manage My Mail tool in the Member Centre.
Problem 51099 Quarantine notification emails are not being sent - Due to the architecture of our current anti-spam platform, it has emerged that the way the system is set up prevents us from being able to send out Quarantine Summary reports. This feature has not worked properly since it was introduced so to avoid any further confusion it has been removed from the Manage My Mail tool in the Member Centre
Problem 51716 Unexplained variance in X-pstn-levels: header - It has emerged that some customers have slightly different settings to others. This governs whether or not some of the category filters are visible in the X-pstn-levels: header. As this information is not used for spam scoring, it has been decided to leave things as they are, It's believed that this particular issue affected on of the 11 or so batches of users that were migrated from the old systems onto the new ones as part of the phased rollout.
Problem 51287 Blacklisting Not Working - Fixed, it would appear that blacklists in user's Mail API were not working as they should. this was fixed following an Exim config change.
Problem 51766 Postini Scaling Error - Fixed, We have a condition in place to alter the effective spam threshold for messages that originate from trusted senders. This was found not to be working in all scenarios.
Problem 51263 unquarantine@quarantine.plus.com rejected by mx.cores - Fixed, email sent to the virus unquarantine address was being bounced.
Problem 51289 Customers Are Not Being Removed From Postini For Custom Domains -  Fixed, if a customer chooses to specify their own mail records for a hosted domain using the portal controls then they should be removed from our Postini account. This was resolved by updating our DNS refresh scripts.
Problem 51479 Some spam emails not being handled properly - Fixed, certain emails that should be considered as spam were missing the x-pn-pstn: header.
Problem 50956 Postini whitelisting problems - Fixed
Problem 50951 Customers spam preferences changing following MMM roll-out - Fixed
Problem 51111 Missing "X-pstn-settings:" and "X-pstn-addresses:" header fields - Fixed
Problem 51080 Emails for customers mailboxes getting delivered to the catch-all mailbox in error - Fixed
Problem 51089 Whitelisted Addresses are being marked as [-SPAM-] - Fixed
Problem 51058 Mail Delivery Type is not consistent with customers on SemiAuto/SMTP - Fixed
Problem 51149 PlusNet > PlusNet email is not being whitelisted at org level in all instances - Fixed
Problem 51048 Marketing email sent to customers using Groupmail getting marked as spam by Postini - Fixed
Problem 51171 Customers domains not in Postini - Fixed
Problem 51013 Customer being removed from Postini when the spam filter is switched off - Fixed
Problem 50950 Limitation on mailbox drop-down for 'Move to Mailbox' option - Fixed
Problem 51041 Plusnet Virtual Domains whitelisted causing some increase in spam - Fixed
Problem 50965 Manage My Mail Tweaks - Fixed
Problem 50955 Rising queues on the mx.lasts / mx.cores accepting mail from non-Postini IPs - Fixed
Problem 50961 Customers email getting deferred by the mx.cores - Fixed
Problem 50977 Mailing lists not working - Fixed
Problem 51007 Postini - Manage My Mail - Approved Lists - Fixed
Problem 50986 - Queues mounting on mx-cores - Fixed
Problem 50978 Customers opting out of Postini/Switching to SMTP do not get DNS records updated - Fixed.
Problem 50976 Subject Line Corruption Of Mails In Japanese - Fixed
Problem 50984 Users who have plus.com address set to SMTP emails are bouncing between our servers - Fixed
Problem 51022 Switching off spam filtering removes customer from Postini - Fixed, this was a duplicate of 51013
Problem 51116 Customers not being added back into postini once they have flipped between SMTP/POP3 - Fixed

I'll update this post with any changes as they occur.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

687 REPLIES 687
gofaster
Rising Star

Re: Postini Feedback / Manage My Mail Improvements

How do I transfer messages between accounts using IMAP?
The help page that is linked to does not mention this facility
Be3G
Grafter

Does de-quarantining an e-mail from Postini automatically flag it up to them as a false positive - or if not, is there any way of doing that from within the Postini quarantine webmail thing (not sure what to call it)?
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: gofaster
How do I transfer messages between accounts using IMAP?
The help page that is linked to does not mention this facility

If you use Thunderbird and have both accounts configured you can drag and drop.
I quite often do that if I want to pass emails on to my wife that I've received.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Quote from: Be3G
Does de-quarantining an e-mail from Postini automatically flag it up to them as a false positive - or if not, is there any way of doing that from within the Postini quarantine webmail thing (not sure what to call it)?

No it doesn't AFAIK.
@gofaster, I think there's the potential for more detailed support content about IMAP so hopefully that's something we can look at introducing in the not too distant future.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

jelv
Seasoned Hero

I had hoped that this change would be associated with a review of SPAM 1,2,3,4,5 levels.
SPAM 5 is so high it is totally useless. If all the others were moved up one and the default made SPAM 2 (i.e. without the user making any changes the level would be the same as now), it would have allowed an even more lenient setting for SPAM 1.
Reviewing the levels after the implementation would mean that changing the default from 1 to 2 will be far more troublesome!
jelv
Seasoned Hero

If we activate Postini Quarantine and we have hosted domains, will they all appear together or will we have to log in to the Postini Message Centre separately for anything@username.plus.com and anything@mydomain.co.uk?
Could we have different settings for domains and username.plus.com?
When we go in to the Postini Message Centre, will we have access to other settings?
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

I assume that these changes will be at account level.
Would it be possible for some of them to be actioned at an individual mailbox level.
Following on from jelv's comment is there any possibility of differentiating between emails to oldjim@username.plus.com and oldjim@myfreeaccount.co.uk
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Quote from: jelv
I had hoped that this change would be associated with a review of SPAM 1,2,3,4,5 levels.
SPAM 5 is so high it is totally useless. If all the others were moved up one and the default made SPAM 2 (i.e. without the user making any changes the level would be the same as now), it would have allowed an even more lenient setting for SPAM 1.
Reviewing the levels after the implementation would mean that changing the default from 1 to 2 will be far more troublesome!

Jelv, I did raise this as promised however the decision was to go with the levels currently in use. These are similar to the thresholds Postini themselves use which was the basis for the decision. We can of course refine them at a later date and I suspect we will do.
Quote from: jelv
If we activate Postini Quarantine and we have hosted domains, will they all appear together or will we have to log in to the Postini Message Centre separately for anything@username.plus.com and anything@mydomain.co.uk?

It will be a separate login per domain I believe.
When we go in to the Postini Message Centre, will we have access to other settings?

No. This access has been removed.
Quote from: Oldjim
I assume that these changes will be at account level.
Would it be possible for some of them to be actioned at an individual mailbox level.

The 'Move to Spam folder' and 'Deliver to Inbox' options are on a per mailbox basis. The 'Quarantine' and 'Deliver to Mailbox' options are on a per domain basis.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

jmd
Grafter

If you are happy with way things work now [apart from odd ones marked as spam that are not] do you need to do anything?
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

The only thing I will be changing in the short term is to take the deliver to mailbox option on an uncompromised account and any other accounts I set up.
bobboulby
Grafter

Will the "Move spam to a nominated mailbox" option move the mail to mailbox>inbox or mailbox>spam?
Bob
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Bob, I asked that question a few days back and was informed it will be delivered to /Inbox.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Good morning all,
We're now live and the new controls are available in the Member Centre!  Cool
Looks like there's some queues on the mx.lasts but I suspect that's just deferred messages for the period of time the mail platform was down. Just seeking clarification now.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

andyrogers
Grafter

Morning Bob
Iam already trying out these new settings, thankyou very much.
I have logged into Postini Quarantine Service this morning after activating my settings and have added an alais to my defaulf postini login e-mail address which is postini.default@mydomain.f9.co.uk, and haev had a confirmation through but the subject line was a little jumbled Here is the header:-
Envelope-to: my.address@mydomain.f9.co.uk
Delivery-date: Thu, 03 Apr 2008 07:52:00 +0100
Received: from exprod5mo2.postini.com ([64.18.0.129] helo=exprod5mo106.postini.com)
    by pih-sunmxcore11.plus.net with esmtp (PlusNet MXCore v2.00) id 1JhJIm-0001lx-8J
    for my.address@mydomain.f9.co.uk; Thu, 03 Apr 2008 07:52:00 +0100
Received: from plus.net (exprod5mc108.postini.com [64.18.0.216])
    by exprod5mo106.postini.com (Postfix) with SMTP id 82B8D57C8AF
    for <my.address@mydomain.f9.co.uk>; Wed, 2 Apr 2008 23:51:59 -0700 (PDT)
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf8"
Content-Disposition: inline
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64
MIME-Version: 1.0
To: "my.address@mydomain.f9.co.uk"@[84.92.2.1]
Date: Thu, 03 Apr 2008 06:51:59 +0000
Message-ID: <12072055191207205519@postinicorp.com>
Subject: =?UTF8?Q?Alias confirmation?=

Also Bob in Postini under the Approved Senders/Domain section these are the current listed approved domains:-
plus.net
plus.com
force9.net
f9.co.uk
sould force9.co.uk also be added or does this get covered by f9.co.uk?
Thanks
Andy