Sam Knows White Box on a Capped Contract

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Sam Knows White Box on a Capped Contract

Updated FAQ on SamKnows:
What is the Test Schedule?
   Test Schedule for those on a limited broadband product / data cap in place:
       Download and Upload MT: Once every 6 hours until 6pm, then hourly thereafter
       Jitter: Every 2 hours
       Web browsing: Every hour
       DNS: Every hour
       Latency/loss: Every hour
       Video streaming (YouTube, Netflix, iPlayer): Once every 6 hours until 6pm, then hourly thereafter
   Test Schedule for those with an unlimited broadband product/ no data cap in place:
       Download and Upload MT: Once every 3 hours until 6pm, then hourly thereafter
       Jitter: Every 2 hours
       Web browsing: Every hour
       DNS: Every hour
       Latency/loss: Every hour
       Video streaming (YouTube, Netflix and iPlayer): Once every 3 hours until 6pm, then hourly after.
How much data does the Test Schedule consume?

If you are on an unlimited broadband product or we are aware that any data cap has been removed, you will be put on our full testing schedule. The data consumption will vary depending on your package. Maximum daily usage approximately is:
       8Mbps: 820MB
       20Mbps: 2.06GB
       40Mbps: 3.95GB
       80Mbps: 8.17GB
   Please note, as there is no data cap in place, the increased data consumption from testing will not be charged by your provider as provision is unlimited.
   Those users with data caps in place are put on a reduced testing schedule. Maximum daily usage approximately is:
       8Mbps: 54MB
       20Mbps: 54MB
       40Mbps: 108MB
       80Mbps: 1.17GB
   During you participation, if you do move to an ISP with a limited broadband product and exceeding your data cap is a concern, please contact the support team at community@samknows.com so we can ensure you are placed on a reduced testing schedule.

So for someone on 80/20 FTTC on unlimited the usage is up to 250GB per month!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
tiffy
Rising Star

So, finally a bit more transperancy from SK, all be it they are claiming that the changes are all Ofcom driven, I wonder if this would have occured without the issues raised and queries submitted arising from this thread ?
Please note, as there is no data cap in place, the increased data consumption from testing will not be charged by your provider as provision is unlimited.

My my understanding, this is a totally different statement now and a lot less ambiguous than previous which appeared to indicate that your ISP would somehow be able to measure the amount of test data attributed to the SK White Box and deduct this from your monthly quota where there was a data cap in place, don't think this was ever the case.
The question regarding this was the origin of this thread, I never did get a definitive answer from SK or Plusnet, at least we have prompted SK to finally provide some clarity on the issue, thanks to all who contributed.
So, looks like on normal unlimited data contracts you accept the full blown test schedule or opt out of the project.
I am still on the limited testing schedule as still capped until 28th., will be interesting to see what happens after that !
Tiffy

jelv
Seasoned Hero

Even the limited schedule for those on capped products the usage looks excessive for 80Mbps (it's a huge jump from the 40Mbps). I guess they've looked at the allowance on such products across various ISPs (Plusnet Fibre Extra was 250Gb, Standard Fibre (up to 38Mbps) was 40GB).
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

But the white box tries to incur this usage in times when the internet connection is relatively inactive.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

jelv
Seasoned Hero

So I take it you're happy for Plusnet to be forced to spend more money to make sure they have sufficient capacity to run the SamKnows tests which will mean either increased charges or further savings on support costs? Or perhaps they could do neither of those and prioritise the SamKnows tests to make sure they appear good in the ISP ratings and if lots of tests are run in the evenings we'll see performance issues.
Testing of live performance should be non-intrusive if it is not to affect the thing you are trying to measure. I don't call increasing my monthly usage by 300-400% non-intrusive.
VileReynard
Hero

I typically use 300 - 400GB per month.
One month, I achieved 1TB.  Grin
I'd like Plusnet to have the capacity to provide the average user with a similar bandwidth.

jelv
Seasoned Hero

Why do you want prices to go up?
tiffy
Rising Star

Would have to agree with spoon whittler on this issue, while accepting that the White Box is supposed to be non intrusive with respect to when it performs it's test routines the data usage issue is not so much about when but how much, every ISP's system bandwidth is a finite resource, unless we are willing to accept service degradation additional provision will be required, this comes at a cost, someone will have to pay !
In the real business world does anyone really expect Plusnet or any other ISP to do this without passing the cost on to the customers ?
It's up to every SK White Box project participent / new member in the end to decide if they wish to continue with / sign up to the scheme, at least, thanks mostly to the people who contributed to this topic, there is now a lot more clarity on exactly what is involved which will help in making a more informed decision.
Tiffy

jelv
Seasoned Hero

Quote from: tiffy
It's up to every SK White Box project participent / new member in the end to decide if they wish to continue with / sign up to the scheme, at least, thanks mostly to the people who contributed to this topic, there is now a lot more clarity on exactly what is involved which will help in making a more informed decision.

Absolutely - I've made my decision - it's been disconnected and I've let them know why.
tiffy
Rising Star

I will stick with the project until I see what happens when I go unlimited data at the end of this week, even then as I am still on ADSL2+ and currently can't justify changing to VDSL2 even though I have the option, it will have a much lesser impact on my system that the fibre users, will review the situation if SK twig on to the change and enable video testing, I certainly won't be qoing out of my way to volunteer this information.
As I said earlier, I certainly feel much better informed on the system logistics than I did before, again, thanks to all contributers for this.
Tiffy
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

I have been checking my Samknows dashboard and since the internet isn't used much in the evening the Netflix test at 15.6Mbps runs on every hour between 6pm and 11pm (6 tests) and the effect on my usage is increased by about 3.5GB per day (on peak) and about 1GB per day (off peak) so my usage this month is liable to be about 150GB instead of the more usual 50GB
VileReynard
Hero

You have an option to switch off the video tests.

jelv
Seasoned Hero

Do you have a whitebox Jeremy?
PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

Quote from: vilefox
You used to have an option to switch off the video tests but not any more.

I think this is more accurate after an edit.
Phil
Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
VileReynard
Hero

Quote from: spoon
Do you have a whitebox Jeremy?

Yes.
If you refer to item 4 of the FAQ, you should see (attached)