Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cessation charge for migration?

MikeAK
Dabbler

Cessation charge for migration?

Hi,
I migrated Plusnet broadband (adsl) and phone to Zen fibre and phone as one order. Broadband went over on the 10th and phone on the 27th of this month. This migration took place in the first few days of the new system where MAC codes are not used.
Just checked my account and a £30 cessation charge has been applied. I was under the impression that migrations did not attract a cessation fee.
Can someone explain the charge please?
Thanks
Mike
17 REPLIES 17
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: Cessation charge for migration?

I can't see any £30 charge applied to your account? As the line was migrated out, the cessation fee isn't applied.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
MikeAK
Dabbler

Hi,
Thanks for looking.
It still shows as being there to me, see attached screen shot.
Also on the 10th July I was billed for broadband and phone from 10th July to 9th August. As my broadband migrated on the 10th July and the phone on 27th July I presume I will shortly be getting a refund for full month broadband and partial month phone?
Chris
Legend

Ah don't worry about that, you're account is marked as a migration so the cease fee won't be applied.
Our billing team will work out any refunds owed and will send this back to you, we leave the phone component active for a few days for any call charges to come through and then close everything off.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
MikeAK
Dabbler

Chris,
Thanks for checking it out. You can understand my confusion as the charge is clearly there in the customer portal with no indication it wont be applied Smiley
Mike
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Cheers for the feedback on that Mike.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
wayo231
Dabbler

I have also been charged a cessation fee of £30, despite migrating to another service provider. As it says this is not charged when a customer stays in the BT Wholesale network, I don't think Plusnet should be charging for this?
BenB
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 20

Hi, which provider have you switched too?
HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

@wayo231 - The cease fee is chargeable depending on which cease code is applied. This is dependant on how the line is ceased and if another provider is taking over it's dependant on how they take over.

• Cease (P) -
    Cease of PSTN service
    Narrowband Stop
    Narrowband Cease

• Cease (M) -
    Narrowband Transfer
    Cease of PSTN & DSL service because line has been converted to MPF
    Narrowband Transfer

• Cease (L) -
    Migration of DSL to SMPF
    Broadband Transfer
    IPStream to WBC migration
    Datastream to WBC migration

• Cease (W) -
    Synchronised Narrowband Stop
    Synchronised Narrowband Cease

The chargeable cease codes are W and P
Apologies, however on your line the cease code was W so the charge is applicable unfortunately.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
Razorback
Grafter

There is a ticket on my account stating
A LLU PSTN cease has been placed on this account. This is due to complete on 17/08/2015.
As I am migrating to BT on that date, the use of the word cease is a bit confusing?
HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

I do understand the confusion, however the services provided by ourselves are being ceased on that date.
The cease code on yours is M, so the cease fee won't be applicable.
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

A LLU PSTN cease has been placed on this account. This is due to complete on 17/08/2015.
As I am migrating to BT on that date, the use of the word cease is a bit confusing?
Err, that doesn't sound right! How can a migration to BT give an LLU PTSN cease Huh
Surely LLU PSTN cease is ONLY for a migration to LLU , since when did BT use LLU ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Chris
Legend

They don't that's just a standard internal ticket (which is why it's not emailed in those words).;
wayo231
Dabbler

I 'migrated' to SSE. What you seem to be saying is that because they took the phone line first and added the broadband a week later, I have to pay you £30 because BT had to take the broadband off the line. BT wholesale actually charge you £5.31. As a mere consumer how on earth is anybody suppose to avoid this when doing a perfectly common change of supplier. The whole industry is a racket.
wayo231
Dabbler

So the plot thickens. SSE says they try to take both services in one go. However certain companies I.e Talk Talk and Plus net insist on cancelling the broadband, so they can't register the broadband until they have taken the line. The more I dig the more it feels like a racket...