cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Permanent Speed Loss - Even After DLM De-Intervened

WWWombat
Grafter

Permanent Speed Loss - Even After DLM De-Intervened

I have a problem where I lost speed due to DLM intervention (understandable); while my sync speed recovered after de-intervention, the throughput speeds have never recovered back to their previous values.
As far as I can make out, the IP Profile returned to normal - the full 77.2 that is stand post-G.INP - at Plusnet's "Current Line Speed" (with a corresponding BT profile value), even though that is officially hidden now.
I've taken the usual steps to either re-sync, or to just disconnect PPP, but to no avail.
Is there something that still needs to be tweaked at PN towers?
These are small 2-3Mbps discrepancies that you wouldn't complain about normally (unless you only had 2-3Mbps), but they stand out very clearly in a graph. Given that most ISPs can achieve around 75Mbps throughput on an 80/20 line, and I was showing 74Mbps results myself, I find it is a bit annoying to have my line contribute poor statistics to Ofcom.
I'm sure I've reported similar discrepencies to Dave Tomlinson in the past...

Attached Graph
SamKnows test results from February to today.
This shows:
- Speed test results of either 71Mbps or 74Mbps from February through to April 10th.
- Results of either 66Mbps or 69Mbps on April 15th (after DLM de-intervention)
- Results of either 69Mbps or 72Mbps from April 16th through to July 12th - but obvious spots of degradation throughout June
- Results of mostly 72Mbps since the last PPP disconnection

Details
On the 10th April, DLM intervened because we were suffering power outages, with the RCD tripping up to 20 times in a couple of days.
G.INP (two-way) was in place at the time, and DLM intervention altered the settings a few times, but sync speed remained at 80/20. Eventually, DLM banded the line to 74/19 ... which caused a sync speed reduction, which in turn caused a throughput speed reduction. That's understandable.
The RCD problem went away. Not entirely (at first) but a new UPS stopped it having an ongoing effect on broadband. Hopefully fully solved since.
On the 14th April, DLM took away the banding, and a day later, it de-intervened entirely, leaving just the original G.INP setting. Since then, of course, G.INP has been made downstream-only.
Plusnet Customer
Using FTTC since 2011. Currently on 80/20 Unlimited Fibre Extra.
5 REPLIES 5
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: Permanent Speed Loss - Even After DLM De-Intervened

With the sync of your line at the moment our profile should actually be a little higher than it currently is, you're in sync at 79.9Mbps, so I've nudged our profile to as high as I can. Let me know how that goes.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
elfish
Grafter

@Chris, could you take a look at my PN IP Profile to make sure that its at the most optimal level?
Thanks.
WWWombat
Grafter

Thanks Chris,
There's nothing visible in today's tests. However, I suspect I needed to re-connect PPP to make it stick, so I've just done that. We'll see how it goes overnight.
Ta
Plusnet Customer
WWWombat
Grafter

Tests prior to last night's PPP drop were running along unchanged at 72Mbps; the only test since then went through at 69Mbps ... but a single test isn't enough to prove anything one way or another.
As it happens, I'm away for the next couple of weeks, so I'll report back after that - with plenty of test results to comment on!
Plusnet Customer
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

@elfish
Your profile is matching correctly.
@WWWombat
Let us know how you get on when your back.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team