Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I turn my router on?

BillyHunt
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

Can I turn my router on?

I've switched phone and fibre from sky today.
I've had a conformation email that the phone line is now active but nothing at all about the fibre.
I've asked several times if an engineer will visit and I've been told he will, but nobody has turned up and I've  had no communication at all  to say the broadband is active.
It says do not turn the router on until told or the engineer will do it.
I've just checked the order status and it says my broadband is ready to use.  Undecided
So shall I turn my router on?
Would it break anything if it's not ready?
5 REPLIES 5
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Re: Can I turn my router on?

Hi Billy,
Welcome to PlusNet and the forums.  To be certain, you need an official PlusNet answer, however it is not unusual for things to be ready before you realise and you can get on and connect up.
One thing though is ringing an alarm bell.  I have correctly understood that you've previously had fibre from SKY and a BTOR engineer has not turned up with a BTOR MODEM?
This is becoming a reoccurring theme of ex-SKY users not receiving a BTOR MODEM when they migrate away from SKY.  Did you have a SKY MODEM?  I do not believe that these are suitable / can be configured for non-SKY FTTC.
The PN supplied router on its own is not enough to connect up to the service.  You could try it out plugged into any fibre MODEM you have to hand.
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

BillyHunt
Dabbler

Thanks for the reply Kevin
I do have a btor modem that I used with sky and the modem has a green light on ADSL so I'm assuming it's synced  Undecided
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Billy,
That sounds like good news - plug it in and give it a try!  If it does not work, then you'll need to await confirmation that your account has been activated.
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

BillyHunt
Dabbler

I'm not actually at home but I've been reliably informed that it's all up and running.
I must have asked three times if a BT engineer needed to come and each time I was told he did  Roll_eyes
Just been sent a speed test I'm a little disappointed with the download, estimate was 65mb but upload looks good.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Billy,
For information...
Quote from: http
If your FTTC Circuit has only just been provisioned, please allow 14 days to pass before attempting to run the BT Speedtester as it can take some time for your circuit information to show on all the relevant back end systems.

Kevin