Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fix an IP address for a device

UncleZen
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Fix an IP address for a device

I have a Technicolor TG582n router.
My printer gets its IP address using DHCP. However the printer drivers were setup to print to an IP address and are currently set to use a .89 address whereas the printer currently has a .95 address (and may well be different tomorrow). Thus the printer doesnt work.
There is a way of configuring the printer drivers to print to a device name rather than IP address, but I cant make head or tail of the instructions, so I have an outstanding support ticket with Epson who make the printer.
So, I was wondering if it was possible, in the router, to fix an IP address for a specific device?
Thanks
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Fix an IP address for a device

Normally you would set the static IP address in the printer configuration, instead of the printer requesting an address from a DHCP server.
Just be sure to choose an address that is outside the DHCP address range of your gateway.
What model Epson printer is it ?
UncleZen
Rising Star

Its an Epson stylus BX310FN I see no option to fix the IP address
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Making General Network Settings

Turn on the printer.
Note:
Do not turn off the power or unplug the printer while making settings on the control panel.
Setting network while accessing the memory card may interrupt access.

Enter the Setup mode.

Select Network Settings.

Select General Setup, and then select Yes.

Confirm the printer name.
The printer name is used to access or identify the printer on the network.
Note:
The default setting is “EPSONXXXXXX” (X: Last 6 digits of the MAC address). To change the printer name, retype the text.

Set TCP/IP Setup settings.
Normally, the broadband router or access point will automatically allocate an IP address to the printer using the DHCP function. If your router (or access point) DHCP function is on, select Auto.
Note:
To assign a unique IP address to the printer, select Manual, and enter the IP Address, Subnet Mask and Default Gateway.
PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

You should be able to set a static address in the 582n through the gui or telnet. I only have the 585, but for that the telnet cli command would be (I believe it is the same for the 582n):
dhcp server lease add clientid=01:00:03:78:9f:27:22 pool=LAN_private leasetime=0 expirytime=0 addr=192.168.1.89 macaddr=00:03:78:9f:27:22 allocation=manual
with the appropriate MAC address and IP address (the client id is 01: followed by the MAC address).
Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
UncleZen
Rising Star

Thanks for the info:
ReedRichards: My printer says auto, I cant seem to change it to manual. Maybe Ive missed a step. I'll have another go.
PeeGee: Thanks for the info, I'll give it a try.
Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 73

It is possible to make a device to use the same IP address via the GUI
Home Network >Device> {select the required device} > Configure. You should see an option to use the same IP address.
If you choose to the telnet CLI method, you need to do a saveall after making the change.
Dan.
UncleZen
Rising Star

Spot on Grumpy. Ive fixed the IP address for the device via the GUI as you suggest. So far, so good.