cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTPoD Discussion - 29 Apr 2013 rollout

AndyH
Grafter

Re: FTTPoD Discussion - 29 Apr 2013 rollout

It's probably best to pm dave at PN to see whether PN will offer any trial etc.
amcclean
Rising Star

Forgive me for asking what is probably obvious somehwere which I cannot find. IN the FTTPoD trial does the EU basically pay the oD install charges of the x£100's to BT and then pay PN the normal monthly charge?
podman
phil4
Grafter

Quote from: _Adam_Walker_
Hi there,
It's still possible to register interest for FTTP (and subsequent trials when we participate) here: https://trials.plus.net
Adam

Hi, I did just this, however the support op has returned the ticket saying "Unfortunately your exchange doesn't support FTTP technology at present and there are no plans to upgrade it in the near future".
I'm quite eager to hand over a 4 figure sum to Plusnet, and hoped that FTTPoD would help with this.  So either the support op doesn't quite understand, or the trials link isn't the right one to go for.... or perhaps my worst possible, that FTTPoD really ins't going to be supported as widely as I'd hoped.
Just FYI I already have FTTC, so it's not caused by lack of support for that.
phil4
Grafter

Thanks for the update DT and the other support staff.
For those reading it seems that FTTPoD isn't quite oD as I'd hoped.  Basically a bit like getting FTTC or FTTP,  you need to be in an area support it.... and I'm not at present.  Yes FTTC is a requirement also, but not the only requirement.
When/If it becomes available in my area, I'll be popping a ticket to trials.
RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

Quote from: phil4

Hi, I did just this, however the support op has returned the ticket saying "Unfortunately your exchange doesn't support FTTP technology at present and there are no plans to upgrade it in the near future".

I recently made enquiries (via the FTTP trial ticket route above) regarding the FTTP trial and got exactly the same reply as you quoted above, albeit with some further waffle about cabinets needing to be upgraded (which IMHO would be more relevant to an enquiry about FTTC).
As I had clearly said in my opening statement that the work to enable my area for FTTP was in an advanced state, with the pole serving my house (less than 10m away) having been fitted with the fibre 'cable' and manifold, I fired the ticket back to PN pointing out what I had already said, with the result that the ticket has been put on hold until June 1st when hopefully more info will be available from BT/Openreach.
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 4

Hi,
Just to give everyone an update on FTTP on Demand this is what's happening.
We're still looking at it and we're still running trials. The service from Openreach has moved into early market deployment which essentially means we get charged to install the service and charged per month. We're happy for people to take part if it's available but you'd need to pay the costs.
At the moment the availability is quite low but it's expanding. In order to get FTTP you need to be on an FTTC enabled cab (but not necessarily have FTTC or can get it due to distance), your cab needs to be enabled for FTTPoD and your exchange needs to be enabled for FTTPoD. The easiest way to check this is go to the BT availability checker:
http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome
If it says FTTPoD is available then we can go ahead, if it doesn't then we can't yet, but keep checking as eventually every FTTC enabled cab will get enabled.
The costs are currently a minimum of £500 installation with distance related charges and excess construction charges that could apply. It's expected that the average cost will be around £1500 but could be in excessive of £10k (we've had one of the trial installs over £16k so far and it's not finished yet!). There will also be a higher monthly fee.
Should anyone want it and they can get it then we can get a more realistic idea of the cost if you want it. If the BT availability checker doesn't say yes then we can't.
Any questions then please let me know.
Dave Tomlinson
Enterprise Architect - Network & OSS
Plusnet Technology
Ram64man

Di dave I've just pm you in regards to this query, as you know bt say it goes live in key areas first but if like the pm states you have more info on and how to start an order for FTTPoD please let me know as like another user on this page we don't mind covering the post if it means being an early adopter
jim:quote
phil4
Grafter

Quote from: dave
Hi,
Just to give everyone an update on FTTP on Demand this is what's happening.
We're still looking at it and we're still running trials. The service from Openreach has moved into early market deployment which essentially means we get charged to install the service and charged per month. We're happy for people to take part if it's available but you'd need to pay the costs.
At the moment the availability is quite low but it's expanding. In order to get FTTP you need to be on an FTTC enabled cab (but not necessarily have FTTC or can get it due to distance), your cab needs to be enabled for FTTPoD and your exchange needs to be enabled for FTTPoD. The easiest way to check this is go to the BT availability checker:
http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome
If it says FTTPoD is available then we can go ahead, if it doesn't then we can't yet, but keep checking as eventually every FTTC enabled cab will get enabled.
The costs are currently a minimum of £500 installation with distance related charges and excess construction charges that could apply. It's expected that the average cost will be around £1500 but could be in excessive of £10k (we've had one of the trial installs over £16k so far and it's not finished yet!). There will also be a higher monthly fee.
Should anyone want it and they can get it then we can get a more realistic idea of the cost if you want it. If the BT availability checker doesn't say yes then we can't.
Any questions then please let me know.

Hi Dave, I notice my cab now allows FTTPoD, and despite the costs you raise, I'd be very interested in getting going.  I currently have FTTC also.
Can you let me know how I should proceed, if I can? 
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 4

Hi Phil,
I've created a ticket on your account which you should be able to see here:
https://www.plus.net/wizard/?p=search
This gives the initial estimate on costs for your line. Let me know if there's any questions.
Dave Tomlinson
Enterprise Architect - Network & OSS
Plusnet Technology
phil4
Grafter

Thanks Dave, much appreciated. 
Melancholie
Grafter

Any chance you could give some information on what the monthly fee is please Dave?
Given the cost of the wholesale product I'm guesstimating it'll be in the 75-125GBP/month range...
phil4
Grafter

I was quoted, 100 + current subs, so 120 for me.  That's on a 3 year contract.
The installation charges have been detailed elsewhere, but min 500, and if you don't live on top of the aggregation point, keep adding lots more money.
AndyH
Grafter

AAISP's pricing for FTTPoD is interesting:
FTTP on demand
There is an option in some areas that can get FTTC service for FTTP on demand. We are able to arrange installation of new FTTP service operating at 330Mb/s.
The set up for this service is £3000.00†, plus any excess construction charges. The excess charges will be quoted and you can decide if to go ahead or not at that point.
There is an additional charge monthly for the service being 330Mb/s FTTP, which (for Home::1) is £50.00 pcm†. After 3 years you will be able to change to the normal 40/10 or 80/20 services.
There is no minimum term, but during the first three years there is a discount -£65.00 pcm†. This means the monthly charge for the first three years is very low. Any additional usage or top-up applies as normal.
There may be times when a full 300Mb/s of Internet traffic is not achieved, but in most cases the limitations on speed will be down to servers on the Internet and not within our control.
This service can have a very long lead time, involving surveys, and road closures, and so on. As always, we are unable to guarantee an installation date.

The install is expensive at £3,000 (ex VAT) but there is no minimum term, and the monthly cost is £15 a month (ex VAT). There are strict usage limits however.
phil4
Grafter

That certainly is interesting, but its what I'd expect from any ISP over time.... in essence they're front loading the cost, but reducing the risk/monthly cost.
So you can pay less up front, and more monthly, or more up front and less monthly.
That said, as you point out AAISP do charge a fair whack extra for usage.. as in 100Gb during the day 500GB overnight could see your bill rise by 180 per month.  So what I'm saying really is worry less about the actual cost/discounts, as it's comparing apples with oranges.
What remains interesting is the idea of charging more up front for install, and having no minimum term.  So here's a thought:
Let's say the average install cost is 1500, and we know that BT insist on 38quid per month for a 3 year minimum term.
1500 + 36*38 = 2868.
So in essence although there's theoretically no minimum term, you're paying for it up front.  So then you've just the monthly fees, but it's hard to compare those.
AndyH
Grafter

Openreach have revised pricing for FTTPoD from 1 May 2014 - http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/6267-openreach-increases-price-of-fibre-on-demand-fttp-product.ht...
The three year contract currently carries a £38+VAT monthly fee, this will increase to £99+VAT.
The fixed connection charge will increase from £500 to £750.
The variable one-off distance based charge will increase to £3.50 per metre from the current £2 per metre. This is the radial distance to the aggregation node that your FTTC cabinet is connected to, so generally near the fibre cabinet.

http://www.openreach.co.uk/orpg/home/products/pricing/loadProductPriceDetails.do?data=0WyIM7tTGGgucF...